Vanilla Civ3 Rule Tweaks For Purists

Thanks for the detailed description BTB, it doesn't seem to work in C3C editor though. It seems that the error checking is both ways here. "Monarchy cannot be prerequisite for Feudalism blah blah" and it automatically changes back. I tried with new techs with no techs attached as well. Someone else can try it and confirm, in case I misunderstood the idea.

BTB, this is a great idea ! :clap: :clap:

The mod or the editor tech hack? >.>

As for the tech hack in the C3C editor... I'm not sure if I got the entire point across.

Here's the basic steps:

One, set all of the technologies you'll be working with to Ancient Times, starting with Stealth and working backwards. You must work literally one step backwards at a time, otherwise the editor will stop you. Any tech involved must be marked as Ancient, meaning I had to set the entire Medieval era back.

Two, make the desired changes to the prerequisites. Since everything is all in the same era (Ancient Times), the editor will allow this.

Third, starting again with Stealth, work one step at a time backwards setting everything to Medival ages. The editor will allow this change because it will let you change the era a tech is assigned to without altering its prerequisites (though it does get kinda crabby if you try to alter the prerequisites after the fact, so you have to make sure you've got them how you want them before moving on to this step).

Changing the era on a tech WILL mess with any techs that it itself has been assigned as a prereuisite for, meaning that when you are changing the era of a tech, any tech that it has been assigned as a prerequisite for must have ALREADY been changed to that era first. For example, the game has no problem letting you set Chivalry back to ancient times so that Monarchy can be made a prerequisite for it. It's just that anything Chivalry is a prerequisite for (in this case, Military Tradition) must have already beens et back to Ancient Times to avoid the editor messing with your tree. It's for this reason that you need to start with Stealth and work backwards.

If this trick did not work in the C3C editor, the editor would automatically freak out when you make the first step, which is setting Stealth back to Ancient Times.

In any event, like I said, you need to work in a long series of lines that gets a tiny bit shorter each time. Step three must be repeated several times in order for the trick to work. You can just follow step three by setting Stealth back to Modern Times. It needs to be set to Middle Ages, then to Industrial Ages, then finally back to Modern Times.

Hopefully, this explanation makes a tad bit more sense.

If this trick did not work in the C3C editor, the editor would automatically freak out when you make the first step, which is setting Stealth back to Ancient Times.

And this is exactly what happens. As soon as I try to move Stealth, an error pops up, and it loses it's prerequisite, Synthetic Fibers. I think I understand what you mean - you can move Stealth safely because that tech in itself is not a prerequisite for anything. But note that the error that pops up in C3C when moving Stealth is not for Stealth itself, but for Synthetic Fibers ("Synthetic Fibers cannot be a prereq for Stealth blah blah").

I'd try the same thing in original civ3 editor but it seems to be unusable; with C3C installed it has no data at all and won't open any .bic files.

And this is exactly what happens. As soon as I try to move Stealth, an error pops up, and it loses it's prerequisite, Synthetic Fibers. I think I understand what you mean - you can move Stealth safely because that tech in itself is not a prerequisite for anything. But note that the error that pops up in C3C when moving Stealth is not for Stealth itself, but for Synthetic Fibers ("Synthetic Fibers cannot be a prereq for Stealth blah blah").

Well I'll be damned... it DOESN'T work in the C3C editor, then.

damn >_> I have a lot to learn about these forums. thanx for learning me ...

Just curious, haven't played Civ3 for a long while but I remember this mod being pretty good. Has there been any updates? I seem to remember that a version 2 was pending at one point.

Going to download this mod and give it a go again.

BTB hasn't been online since last year, I'm afraid, so it doesn't look like it. Still, I've been wrong before!

@Ivelin: Completely wrong forum.

Is there anybody who could convert this to be fully Conquests compatibale?

Just curious, haven't played Civ3 for a long while but I remember this mod being pretty good. Has there been any updates? I seem to remember that a version 2 was pending at one point.

It's at version 4.0 now, which I'm considering to be the final version.

Wouldn't saving it as a biq be sufficient?

Nope. The problem is that the Conquests editor can't be tricked into thinking that techs from old eras can be prerequisites for techs in a newer one, whereas the original one could.

Wouldn't saving it as a biq be sufficient?

The other problem with simply saving it as a .biq file is that the Conquest Editor does not add all of the new Wonders and Improvements, nor any of the new units or resources. It also does not add the ability to auto-produce units from Wonders and Improvements. If you want to have Marsh or Volcano terrain, you either have to generate a new map or place all of the new terrain in by hand.

The problem is that the Conquests editor can't be tricked into thinking that techs from old eras can be prerequisites for techs in a newer one, whereas the original one could.
:confused: There are quite a few threads discussing tech trees. I don't recall ever seeing one where failure to have prerequisites from one era carry over to another (as a shortcoming of the editor) was discussed. Or references to the vanilla Editor having features that the Conquests Editor does not.
The other problem with simply saving it as a .biq file is that the Conquest Editor does not add all of the new Wonders and Improvements, nor any of the new units or resources. It also does not add the ability to auto-produce units from Wonders and Improvements. If you want to have Marsh or Volcano terrain, you either have to generate a new map or place all of the new terrain in by hand.
The original question was about conversion & compatibility.
Is there anybody who could convert this to be fully Conquests compatibale?
Conversion to a Conquests biq allows potentials and possibilities. All the rules, terrain types, etc. would be accessible. The rules are saved in the biq, afaik. Compatibility has nothing to do with automatically placing terrain, creating custom tech trees, etc. It still requires an editor (human being) to use the editor (software) to add whatever extras might be wanted that were not in the original scenario. That would be requesting an updated version incorporating new features. Which is quite different from asking for compatibility.

EDIT:
But one thing: you can play it in Conquests or PTW. Just open up the Conquests or PTW editor, open the file, and save it as .bix or .biq, then load it with the corresponding expansion. It certainly works.
LOL. Yeah, it should work in the C3C editor just as well as it does in the Vanilla editor.

Actually, it is possible to play a Vanilla scenario directly on Conquests without first saving it as a .biq file. I do get some odd things showing up on the screen, like the advanced control buttons for the worker giving me the buttons for building airfields and radar stations in 4000 BC. Have another odd thing showing up if I can get a screen shot on it on the Windows laptop.

Top Bottom