Vertical Toroidal Maps?

Not sure about rotating the actual longitude and latitude axis but it is possible with a map of any dimension.

It would look strange in the minimap window.
minimap, UI:
|████████|..............|████████|
|████████|EAST.....|████████|

Last edited:
Not sure about about rotating the actual longitude and latitude axis but it is possible with a map of any dimension.

Iit would look strange in the minimap window.
minimap, UI:
|████████|..............|████████|
|████████|EAST.....|████████|
The problem I think Hydro has with this map is that it already is as you just explained. North and South are already right and left on this map. That drives me batty as well.

The problem I think Hydro has with this map is that it already is as you just explained. North and South are already right and left on this map. That drives me batty as well.
Not sure what you mean, I've played a lot of toroidal maps, and north and south have always been top and bottom of the map regardless of the maps actual dimensions. How I know, animals are spawning correctly on the map, e.g. mammoths, on the north pole (map-top) and penguins on the south pole (map-bottom).
Disclaimer, I've never tried a tall and thin map type before, perhaps you are right, that latitude and longitude is then automatically rotated....

I thought Hydro asked if it were possible with a tall and not very wide map where mammoths spawn on map-right (north pole) and penguins on the map-left (south pole).
That latitude were the horisontal axis and longditude were the vertical axis of the map.
Am I wrong Hydro?

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean, I've played a lot of toroidal maps, and north and south have always been top and bottom of the map regardless of the maps actual dimensions. How I know, animals are spawning correctly on the map, e.g. mammoths, on the north pole (map-top) and penguins on the south pole (map-bottom).
Disclaimer, I've never tried a tall and thin map type before, perhaps you are, right, that latitude and longitude is then automatically rotated....

I thought Hydro asked if it were possible with a tall and not very wide map where mammoths spawn on map-right (north pole) and penguins on the map-left (south pole).
That latitude were the horisontal axis and longditude were the vertical axis of the map.
Am I wrong Hydro?
I thought the definition of a torroidal map was that N/S was Right/Left rather than Up/Down... I could be wrong. But if you look at the minimap he posted...

A toroidal map is a map where the top and bottom of the map is also continuous, not just the right and left side as in a cylinder maps.
By continuous I mean that there is no map edge.
Think of the toroidal maps as a doughnut shaped planet with only one cold pole at the inner circle, and the equator at the outer circle.

All i ment is say take an existing toridal map and then turn it 90 degrees. Can that be done?

From this ...

To this ...

Attachments

• rotate map.jpg
    rotate map.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 1,122
Last edited:
There is no simple way to do that....

Not only does one need to switch all plot data between coordinate ( X, Y ) and ( Y, X ), one has to convert the directional vector for all rivers on the map as well.
It is quite possible, I think, but it would be a lot of work to make a script that does that.

Top Bottom