Viewports

Koshling
I see.
I thought similarly...
So, this is a problem that can only (MAYBE) be helped by much better computers.
Also, a side question:
I use a W7 x64 i3 4GB laptop - but I've seen people mentioning "turning multi-core and memory on/off".
Does it apply to me - and would it help at all anyways???
Thanks.

It can be helped by us continuing to work on it (which we will), and also by improvign hardware over time as you say. i3's don't turbo up regardless of what you do to force stuff onto one coer, so changing settings won't improve things. I assume you are running with the laptop plugged in and its power saving settings set to perfromance rather than long-battery-life while it's plugged in?

I assume you are running with the laptop plugged in and its power saving settings set to perfromance rather than long-battery-life while it's plugged in?
Why of course.:lol:
Anyways, thanks and I understand that this isn't gonna change in the observable future...
PITY...:cry:

I'm experiencing with no apparent patterns, my turn won't end, I mean units won't finish moves etc. I have to save and reload current game to fix it.

Random graphic glitches that appear only after a certain time period. Mines, farms, quarry etc all will appear glitched after a while. A way to center over units would be helpful.

I'm experiencing with no apparent patterns, my turn won't end, I mean units won't finish moves etc. I have to save and reload current game to fix it.

Random graphic glitches that appear only after a certain time period. Mines, farms, quarry etc all will appear glitched after a while. A way to center over units would be helpful.

C centers over the currently selected unit. It always centers the current display, but it also centers the viewport itself if the units is within a certain distance of the edge of the current viewport. That certain distance (default is 5 tiles) is settable in th viewport settings in the BuG options, so if you set it to a large value (more than half the width of the viewport) it will alwsy do the viewport centering too.

The freeze at the end of turns is almost certainly not viewport related. The fact that reloading is odd (unless you have the new random seed on load game option, in which case there really isn't any way to track it because you can never get a reproducible case to debug). If you can fete a repeatable case (from a save) post the save and I'll look into it for you.

As a general note - the new random seed on load option is a disaster frm a debugging perspective, and I strongly recommend not using it unless you really really el you have to have it.

As a general note - the new random seed on load option is a disaster frm a debugging perspective, and I strongly recommend not using it unless you really really el you have to have it.
Maybe it should simply be defaulted to off and invisible then? I don't think anyone finds it indispensable do they? I often found it useful for getting around bugs before I learned more about how to DE-bug and since we have great support now it seems wise to simply take the option out for the time being.

Maybe it should simply be defaulted to off and invisible then? I don't think anyone finds it indispensable do they? I often found it useful for getting around bugs before I learned more about how to DE-bug and since we have great support now it seems wise to simply take the option out for the time being.

Some people like to be able to use the reload-and-see-if-my-luck-is-better 'cheat'.

Well I hate to tell you, but the Mod gets lost switching back and forth at times. Yes I do have the random seed generator on, I like to give myself an extra chance at fixing issues in my game when I make horrible mistakes. I give it one chance :lol: lame as it is.

Events for volcanoes aren't working correctly either, it will talk about one erupting, but I don't see it. I will be playing and all of a sudden I hear this whoshing noise and one appears out of the blue. :lol: Happens through all 3 of my games using viewports Koshling!?!

It often doesn't center over units or cities properly as the normal Mod does, if that random seed was removed I'd probably not play. I like to give myself a 1 chance, I am not a beta tester, if I was then of course I would not use it. :p I have beta tested many many mods along with civ 3 and civ4 when they were being created. I understand the issues involved and if my information won't be considered valid due to using that reload, okay no insult to me. I do want to help though. :D I will play a game without using the reload option if need be to aid you with this issue. Let me know.... all I do is play games and hang out online, so if you need me to test anything I am available, 57 years old and bad health on SSI, no problem if you need me to test things without the reload seed being used??!! :)

Now It seems after playing 3 games in a row, gigantic, Giant and huge maps, using the c2c planet generator script, that the viewports Mod gets confused where it is supposed to be switching from city to city to give me the build options. It will sometimes stop over another civs land mass and not over my own, it will sometimes be overtop of a city Im not working with. Not only that is seems to interfere with graphic rendering on a big scale, tossing bridges, great wall wonder, walls, improved resources, etc in the wrong location. I have had units flag show up at bottom of my map yet the unit in question is at the top of my map.

I haven't been able to detect any sort of pattern either. When it does get confused the game won't progress to the end of the turn. Only way to correct it is to save the current game and reload, I have reloaded several times in a row just to test it see if I am changing something drastic due to the random seed generator but I haven't seen a difference. If I don't reload, simply hit the end turn bottom anyways, it will keep repeating the same issue not ending the turn properly. It seems like it isn't a complicated issue, the code used for viewports is coming into play when the game is trying to render graphics and switching from city to city and move to move of units, isn't efficient for some reason.

On the plus side I had the game make a gigantic map as large as it can, I played it up till renaissance era without one single MAF occuring, it works beautifully but has these odd graphic glitches and gets confused. Isn't this just a simply coding method that needs to be changed? :D I can't code python or XML so I have no clue but I want to help in any way I can. ;)

The Mod is incredible I have been playing it for 2 years now and want to have the game function correctly without that pesky MAF occuring on big maps. By the way I don't reload to make my luck better, I do it ONLY when I bad mistake is made concerning important groups of units. In beginning especially if I go the wrong direction and all my new units are taken out. Yes it is cheating I supposed but I don't reload all the time, I do it only as last resort to fix my mistakes :lol: I love to play iron man games Im not that good at it but.... :p

@Kitsune420:

I haven't noticed nearly as much Viewport wackiness as you have pointed out in my games. The three know issues with Viewports are

• Flags will sometimes go missing, this is remedied by moving the unit
  • Improvements and resources will often float in mid-air, this is solved (normally) with a viewport shift
  • There is some artifacting on unrevealed ocean tiles next ot revealed ocean tiles, this is to preserve the integrity of the Fog of War.

Koshling doesn't know what is causing these, so they will remain for now. Hopefully they will eventually be figured out, but working with the graphics engine is a royal pain.

@Kitsune420:

The volcano issue is general not just related to viewports, I am going to look and see if I can get a simple solution in this weekend. The basic problem is that the volcano event is associated with playerX but may not happen anywhere that they can see but they get the message. I am going to change it so that all players that have that plot revealed get the message instead. I can then perhaps add some extra checking for viewport interaction.

The issue of units not ending their turn is also occurring for people who don't have viewports running. I have experienced it myself. Unfortunately it is fixes by saving and loading which makes it impossible to prepare a save for Koshling et al to use to find the problem.

@Kitsune420:

The volcano issue is general not just related to viewports, I am going to look and see if I can get a simple solution in this weekend. The basic problem is that the volcano event is associated with playerX but may not happen anywhere that they can see but they get the message. I am going to change it so that all players that have that plot revealed get the message instead. I can then perhaps add some extra checking for viewport interaction.

The issue of units not ending their turn is also occurring for people who don't have viewports running. I have experienced it myself. Unfortunately it is fixes by saving and loading which makes it impossible to prepare a save for Koshling et al to use to find the problem.

We can debug it if it happens on our own machines, but I personally don't find it enough of an annoyance to try. ;)

We can debug it if it happens on our own machines, but I personally don't find it enough of an annoyance to try. ;)

I am assuming you are talking about the "volcano issue". In which case why bother since we know why and what to do to fix? Sorry, no coffee available this morning, I forgot to shop yesterday.

The "unit not ending its turn" issue means you have to save exit and reload to continue playing or check every unit by hand to see if it has had its move yet.

I am assuming you are talking about the "volcano issue". In which case why bother since we know why and what to do to fix? Sorry, no coffee available this morning, I forgot to shop yesterday.

The "unit not ending its turn" issue means you have to save exit and reload to continue playing or check every unit by hand to see if it has had its move yet.

You can click the green button by the minimap to manually end the turn. Also, Shift+Enter will also force-end the turn, so that issue is easily avoidable.

You can click the green button by the minimap to manually end the turn. Also, Shift+Enter will also force-end the turn, so that issue is easily avoidable.

Except then the 30 other units you wanted to move don't get a move! Maybe you aren't understanding what I mean, probably due to bad wording on my part.

I have 60 workers all hand controlled. I have just done worker 29, move to plot and start building road which it can do this turn but control does not move from that unit to the next one. IE the unit is not finishing its turn. I can hunt and find the next worker give it its instruction eg build a farm but control will not leave it, I have to hunt for the next worker and give it instructions and so on.

Except then the 30 other units you wanted to move don't get a move! Maybe you aren't understanding what I mean, probably due to bad wording on my part.

I have 60 workers all hand controlled. I have just done worker 29, move to plot and start building road which it can do this turn but control does not move from that unit to the next one. IE the unit is not finishing its turn. I can hunt and find the next worker give it its instruction eg build a farm but control will not leave it, I have to hunt for the next worker and give it instructions and so on.

Oh, the unit cycling is broken. I haven't noticed that one yet.

I've noticed the no cycling on units without ViewPorts active but only when just having loaded a save. For some reason it does not activate a unit with movement left.

Luckily for me, and for you guys, there's an easy solution until it's been fixed: Press w.
This works whether or not a unit is activated as long as you are in the world map and not in any other screen and simply sends the unit currently activated back in the queue or activates the next unit with movement left if none was activated. If the unit was done with it's turn it won't pop up again that turn.

Cheers

I wonder if what's happening is its moving an automated unit afterwards and there's some break in an automation path that causes it to stop the cycle...

@Kitsune420:

Oh really? hmm I have never had any issues with events regarding volcanoes until I started using viewports. My current game is on a giant map with 14 land masses and 13 civs. I was hoping things wouldn't be as messed up but indeed, graphics are not rendering and being placed properly for hardly anything. River bridges, great wall wonder for example will after I played for a time, show up in the oceans, the wall and bridges :lol: real freaky looking. The great wall will show up in the wrong place, sometimes when it shows in the middle of the ocean it will sink, other times it won't.

I certainly hope Koshling finds a fix for viewports in general, I tried changing the settings for viewports, but it still gets lost when switching from city to city. I started a game without viewports and didn't see this issue at all. No matter I am having a blast playing the giant map. :cool:

Thanks for replies guys appreciate it! :D

Top Bottom