Visibility of Vox Populi to newcomers

ryanmusante

Emperor
Supporter
I feel that there is notoriety with Community Patch Project (Vox Populi). It continues to grow and is mentioned even still with the press and on various gaming platforms.

It ought to have its own category underneath "Civ5 - Creation & Customization".

Is there a way to gain easier visibility to people coming to Civfanatics Forums for the first time (or veterans unawares)?

Last edited:
I feel that there is notoriety with Community Patch Project (Vox Populi). It continues to grow and is mentioned even still with the press and on various gaming platforms. It ought to have its own category underneath "Civ5 - Creation & Customization".

Is there a way to gain easier visibility to people coming to Civfanatics Forums for the first time (or veterans unawares)?

Listed below are the other threads under Civ5 - Project & Mod Development with latest post.

Communitas Expansion Pack
Nov 17, 2018

Éa Fantasy Mod Project
Oct 23, 2016

Civilization NiGHTS
Oct 23, 2015

Crazy Spatz's Alpha Centauri Mod
Sep 15, 2018

R.E.D. World War II Edition
Apr 12, 2018

Civ 5 - Community Call to Power project
Dec 3, 2018

Notoriety is a funny, if correct, choice of words.

G

If we enabled it in Steam Workshop, easiest solution.

Now the fun part is getting users to not have extreme bugs because they used the latest version of EUI rather than "our" version (which is my part that is taking too long for me to update lol)

Then you have to be wary of a certain Civ5 mod group that tends to flag us down....

Finally, you have to remember that people will just complain but find out there is a wikia and then the wikia is severely outdated.

To be fair we do have visibility through modmods, but those aren't usually enough.

I proposed we made a trailer, but it never came to fruit because we don't have a video creator despite the script is made already.

If we enabled it in Steam Workshop, easiest solution.

Now the fun part is getting users to not have extreme bugs because they used the latest version of EUI rather than "our" version (which is my part that is taking too long for me to update lol)

Then you have to be wary of a certain Civ5 mod group that tends to flag us down....

Finally, you have to remember that people will just complain but find out there is a wikia and then the wikia is severely outdated.

To be fair we do have visibility through modmods, but those aren't usually enough.

I proposed we made a trailer, but it never came to fruit because we don't have a video creator despite the script is made already.

One of my goals this winter - when I have time - is to screen record an audio tutorial with the game play in the background. Whether or not you want to see my mug is up to you. :)

G

I was spreading the word of VP in Steam not long ago until the local authoritarian mod there Sam banned me permanently.

Yeah a lot of Civ fans simply don't know about it. Even I had no idea until recently when I got bored at vanilla's flawed difficulty and made a search for mods. Indeed among the modmods VP stands out. But the exposure happens only when a player searches specifically for "AI overhaul", not just "unit overhaul" because there are tons of such mods.

Last edited:
The community could also try pitching VP to popular game reviewers / streamers on twitch or YouTube...there are some YouTube vids about it already out there but more exposure can't really hurt.

I think the problem is a lot of vanilla players actually can't beat the game even on the hardest difficulty. There's still plenty of things for them to explore that VP isn't really the target audience. Others want the game to be made stupidly easy with OP civs or their favorite anime waifu. They don't want a serious game.

Pitch VP towards the players who are "bored but want a challenge" first.

I'm new here. Can you PM me who that is?

VP trademark is not yet ready for mass market. It first has to solve it's transparency issue. This is a strategic game which goes by the numbers.

The bruteforce has been done, what is left is the fine tuning so that the player says "ahh I see why my numbers are like this".

The community could also try pitching VP to popular game reviewers / streamers on twitch or YouTube...there are some YouTube vids about it already out there but more exposure can't really hurt.

Marbozir has done quite a few playthroughs of VP over the years, and he's pretty prolific. I thoroughly enjoy watching his stuff.

G

Marbozir has done quite a few playthroughs of VP over the years, and he's pretty prolific. I thoroughly enjoy watching his stuff.

G
I wonder if Malbozir was aware of the full mechanics. I am glad to hear that you will take the challenge. Maybe we will learn some of the mechanics from you.

Yes, definitely show us with what container you drink your coffee, tea or hot chocolate. :lol:
If he is going to trivialize his appearance with morning coffee cups I suggest dont even do it. I care less about his coffee mug. I want to see solid gameplay logic and mechanics.

That is all true, a good way is help people to understand the true meaning behind "Vox Populi". They can embrace the concept of contributing. "If you find it, you fix it". I think it is well explained in your tag. "Do not ask what your modding community can do for you, but ask what you can do for your modding community."

Last edited:
That is all true and the best way to mitigate is help people to understand the true meaning behind "Vox Populi". Voice of the people , Community patch, they must embrace the concept of contributing. "If you find it, you fix it" There are many ways to contribute even not being coders themselves and it is laid out in the forums. I think it is well explained in your tag. "Do not ask what your modding community can do for you, but ask what you can do for your modding community."
Better focus on mechanical issues. Nobody cares for your mug but hardcore mechanics. He should go as far as even saying what is his honest view of the mechanics, good sides bad sides in AI development.

@Leondegrance
I just meant that it would be nice for newcomers to be willing to be a part of the mod themselves. They can help even with something as simple as making a spelling correction on the Wikia. I edited to clarify. A little love goes a long way.

Last edited:
I want to help, but I don't think I'd fit in with VP's "community" ethos. I have a distinctly robotic sense of aesthetics and game design that most people do not share and from my previous experience on modding communities, I have a bad tendency to politicize my disagreements over game design. That's distinctly against the ethos of the community on here, so I'd rather just avoid my past mistakes (and not hurt others on here or myself) by staying far away things like that.

I guess when I'm done with my mod, I'll volunteer for some bug-testing and fixing? Something quiet and out of the way.

Last edited:
I want to help, but I don't think I'd fit in with VP's "community" ethos. I have a distinctly robotic sense of aesthetics and game design that most people do not share and from my previous experience on modding communities, I have a bad tendency to politicize my disagreements over game design.
I think that's not a bad thing or a trait that is incompatible. Communities aren't full of people that agree on everything 100%. It's an exchange of ideas that agree and conflict. That distinctly robotic sense can prove useful to conversations. It can be valuable to work on the modmods in the subforum. Attention to detail is important in code.

If he is going to trivialize his appearance with morning coffee cups I suggest dont even do it. I care less about his coffee mug. I want to see solid gameplay logic and mechanics.

Mug does not mean what you think it means in this context.

G

Mug does not mean what you think it means in this context.

G
Fine. Then explain the war weariness ideological pressure. To your best.

Here is from wikia. Explain that please. Stop hiding like a mouse.

Sources of War Weariness
  • Ideological Pressure.
  • Length of your current war.
  • The largest amount of damage your cities and armies have sustained in a single combat against your opponent you are currently fighting.
  • Unit and Cities lost in War.
  • Negative War Score
  • Cultural Influence of the Enemy over Yours
  • Technological Levels
  • Fighting versus a Civilization with a much larger tourism level over you.
  • Adopting certain polici

Last edited:
Top Bottom