Voice Capture and UAC

Sarisin

Deity
I just bought a new computer that should improve the performance of FFH2 - better processor, 4gb RAM, 512 mb ATI card, etc. However, after loading all the software, mods, patches, add-ons, etc. (I should mention I now have Vista Home Premium vs. my old XP) I have run into two problems:

1. Whenever I start up FFH2 I get the following popup box:

INVALID DEVICE: You have selected an unstable voice capture device. Voice capture disabled.

OK, I don't even know what voice capture is or whether you need it in FFH2. I never saw anything like this before. I wouldn't mind just clicking the box to make it go away, but it hangs for about a minute before eventually leaving.

How do I solve this problem?

------------

Update, as also mentioned in the bug thread:

I found the answer to the voice capture errors in the regular CIV4 forum:

"its a glitch with some sound cards - open civilizationIV.ini and set enablevoice to 0 - the game thinks you have a microphone somewhere..."

Making the suggested change worked for me, and, so far anyway, as an added bonus no CTDs 30 turns in!

2. About 10 turns into my game (I copied my saved game from my old machine), I get a box apologizing for an 'inconvenience' and that Beyond the Sword must shut down. I restart the game, get another 10 or so turns, and same thing.

Is this related to the Vista UAC issue? Should I just turn that off? I guess you pick your poison, because in turning it off, you get a nag constantly about your security not being adequate or whatever.

What's the best way to fix this?

Thanks.

Top Bottom