Voice over for technologies

Canals needs a new quote too. It's very long (not sure how long).

A few suggestions:

I took the Canal Zone and let Congress debate; and while the debate goes on, the canal does also.
Theodore Roosevelt
“The surface of Venice is constantly metamorphosing [and] painting Venice is almost like being a restorer, peeling off the layers to find the picture after picture underneath.”
Arbit Blatas
When the blind lead the blind, they all fall in the canal.
Tony Hancock
People generally have more feeling for canals and roads than education. However, I hope we can advance them with equal pace.
Thomas Jefferson
Will anybody compare the Pyramids, or those useless though renowned works of the Greeks, with these aqueducts?"
Frontinus, Roman Water Commissioner, 1st century AD
All right, I'll grant you that the aqueduct and the sanitation are two things that the Romans have done...
Reg, Monty Python's Life of Brian: What Have the Romans Ever Done For Us?
I think I like the 3rd one (Tony Hancock) the most for it's short and funny.
I like the last one (Monty Python) too, for it's funny but long.
The 5th one I like for it's historical, but a bit long too.

I think that Jefferson's quote is the most appropriate one.

I'd prefer a historical quote in the absence of others, but do we already have a tech for aqueducts?

I'd prefer a historical quote in the absence of others, but do we already have a tech for aqueducts?
Aqueducts requires Canals, so in that view Frontinus is the most appropriate.

So I backed off doing any more quotes because some of them looked like they'd be changed but that convo seems to have died down. Should I continue with the current quotes or wait for confirmation?

Let's look at this some more. Now that you remind me about it, we do need a lot of work on quotes.

I really don't like the Aerodynamics quote. I'm going to replace it with the original Advanced Flight quote. It's nice and poetic for this tech. I'm also putting back in the original Laser quote. That one is too good to pass up. I will plug in the Frontinus quote for Canals.

We also have a few duplicated quotes that we should probably find something new for one side of:
  • Animal Husbandry/Weaving
  • Ship Building/Seafaring
  • Divine Right/Absolutism
  • Fission/Nuclear Power
  • Composites/Modern Warfare
  • Satellites/Space Flight
I would like to keep the original Divine Right Louis XVI quote for Absolutism. I think we can use Neil Armstrong's moon landing quote for Space Flight. I'll take suggestions for the others. Also, Composites and Replaceable Parts are only one word different. Maybe something else would work here?

I looked at the original quotes from BTS. The average quote, with punctuation but without the attribution, in order to get a sense of how long the quote would be as spoken, is only about 88 characters long. That's slightly more than the length of the Astronomy or Chemistry quotes. Fission is the longest core BTS quote at 169 characters. Advanced Warmachines is currently 781. That's over 4 times as long. I've got a list of the rest to replace.

Weaving
"I am not a wolf in sheep's clothing, I'm a wolf in wolf's clothing."
Ricky Gervais
Ship Building
"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Divine Right
"Divine right of kings means the divine right of anyone who can get uppermost."
Herbert Spencer
Nuclear Power
"The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one."
Albert Einstein
Modern Warfare
"More and more, modern warfare will be about people sitting in bunkers in front of computer screens, whether remotely piloted aircraft or cyber weapons."
Philip Hammond
Space Flight
"That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."
Neil Alden Armstrong

The bottom three are fine and I like the ship-building one, but the weaving one simply doesn't work (IMO).

1. To appear and not to be is like weaving and not making cloth. (Sicilian Proverb)
  2. The difference between appearances and truth is the same as between warping and weaving.(Corsican Proverb)
  3. It is better to start weaving your fishing nets than merely coveting fish at the water.(Chinese Proverb)
  4. Weaving a net is better than praying for fish at the edge of the water.(Chinese Proverb)
  5. To a weaving that has begun, God sends threads.(Italian Proverb)

I think that 4 is the best one there.

From Zeta's post, I like 'em. I think the Einstein quote should apply to Fission and Nuclear Power can keep whatever it is now. I don't like that Modern Warfare seemingly has a grammatical error?

I agree with Space Flight and Divine Right. Those are good. Ship Building is probably a bit too long.

I don't want to mess with the Fission quote. It's completely appropriate to the moment of the tech -- Fission tech is Nuclear Weapons 101 in AND. Nuclear Power is the at least more-controlled tech, so I might go for the "too cheap to meter" quote. I saw it browsing Wikiquote.

Here are some that I like well enough to use.
Weaving
"Clothes make the man." - Latin proverb
Mechanics
"Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the earth." - Archimedes
Flintlock
"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry." - Oliver Cromwell
It's an attributed quote, but I think it's a good one.
Naval Tactics
"No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy." - Horatio Nelson
This is one that I am not sure about, but I think it's funny enough to include.
Networking
"In cyberspace, *everyone* can hear you scream." - Gary Lewandowski

I
upload_2018-10-4_10-23-34.png
the Networking quote :lol:

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-4_10-23-21.png
    upload_2018-10-4_10-23-21.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 193
What's a good Napoleonic quote for Grand War? I'd like to move the McCain quote to Modern Warfare. I think it would be a good fit there.

Also for Warmachines:

"You can't say civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way." - Will Rogers

"If you wage war, do it energetically and with severity. This is the only way to make it shorter and consequently less inhuman."

I can't find a reference for the term Grand War. What's that all about?

"If you wage war, do it energetically and with severity. This is the only way to make it shorter and consequently less inhuman."

I can't find a reference for the term Grand War. What's that all about?

I think it's meant to be the Napoleonic Wars and the beginnings of large-scale industrial warfare. The "cabinet wars" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_wars) are what came before Grand War tech. Grand War does overlap a lot with Military Tradition, and I've tried to find a good way to balance out the tricks. There are enough tricks available to have this many techs and not have to collapse them down to one tech. I've tried to focus Military Tradition on training individual soldiers (Brandenburg Gate, West Point, Military Academy) while Grand War focuses on larger-scale innovations (Mobilization civic, Grenadier, Ship of the Line). Military Science gets the things that I really want put off until the Industrial Era: Volunteer Army and its +3 starting XP, the Light Cavalry unit, and the Blitz and Commando promotions.

If you're interested in some of the background material for this mod, take a look at this: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/Rise_and_Rule_Data_1.03.1.zip. It's a data file for the Civ3 mod Rise and Rule that was the basis for Civ4's Rise of Mankind. You can see where a lot of techs and icons came from, although to really see it in the tech tree you would have to go back to earlier editions before I really started pruning.

I'm doing a little more work on quotes. This is my list of techs that currently have quotes longer than Fission's. There is another list of techs that aren't as long but I still want to fix.
  • Advanced Warmachines
  • Antibiotics
  • Archeology
  • Artificial Life
  • Biomimetics
  • Brain-Machine Interface
  • Chivalry
  • Civil Engineering
  • Controlled Plasma
  • Cyberwarfare
  • Democracy
  • Electronics