VQ02 - Predetermined City Placement

I think I might have to try a GreatPlains map sometime, it looks really fun...

I would assume that we don't want to go :hammer: everyone down unless we have to. The reason is that there may come a time when we NEED to expand, and we won't be able to do so if we're already at war with all the rest of the civs. I would let our city placement choose our first target. If we can get two or three city sites by taking one civ, then we would want to target them...

I think this was just an incredible chance that we got all the plains/cows. The first great plains map I tried would have been great, but just wasn't going to work with our variation. It had a lot more forest, and more vaired resources (pigs, furs, sugar I remember seeing.)

I feel like we should rename the capital to Bismark. I said it before, we've settled right in the middle of North Dakota :lol:

If so, you might want to list some names of cities, because all I know is Bismark. :lol:

Well I grew up in the general area (northern MN actually) so I know enough about the region. I can rattle off a city list.

Bismark
Fargo
Grand Forks
Minot

um... that's about it :) Unless we go with small towns.

I'm ok with the order and will do a got it...

I'll check back in a bit to make sure no one has any problems.

Not the most exciting of turns...

Spoiler :

Turn 20 (3200 BC)

Turn 21 (3160 BC)

Turn 22 (3120 BC)
Tech learned: Agriculture
Tribal village results: technology
Research begun: Hunting

Turn 23 (3080 BC)

Turn 24 (3040 BC)

Turn 25 (3000 BC)

Turn 26 (2960 BC)

Turn 27 (2920 BC)
Rome grows: 3

Turn 28 (2880 BC)
Tech learned: Hunting

Turn 29 (2840 BC)
Research begun: Animal Husbandry

Turn 30 (2800 BC)

Turn 31 (2760 BC)

Turn 32 (2720 BC)

Turn 33 (2680 BC)
Rome grows: 4

Turn 34 (2640 BC)
Warrior defeats (1.10/2): Barbarian Lion

Turn 35 (2600 BC)
Warrior promoted: Combat I
Warrior defeats (0.88/2): Barbarian Lion

Turn 36 (2560 BC)

Turn 0:
Nothing to MM yet.... only one city!

Turn 2:
Popped Agri from hut. too bad we were already researching it.
Going with Hunting next. Will give us scouts to look around better and lead to archers

Turn 8:
Learned Hunting > Animal Husbandry cause OMG we have cows everywhere.

Turns 14 and 15 our two warriors dance with Lions.... and win! I promote the much more hurt northern one to heal him up in case we get any suprises.

Fred just switched to Slavery so he's got bronze working and I found his border N/E of our city. Way N/E

We're at happy limit in Rome. Need a military unit (or some whipping). Don't be afraid to whip. With the wheat hooked up we can grow like crazy. Also settler build will be fast due to the abundance of food.

3rd in GNP, but 9th in a lot of others... Fred shows as having more power then us.

AH due in 2, next we need wheels... and then pottery?

Culture picture:

all the resource goodness: (thumbnailed cause imageshak was way too slow all of a sudden)
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

The save file:
View attachment 116527

eektor said:
If so, you might want to list some names of cities, because all I know is Bismark.
*grasp* I don't even know Bismark, except that civ4 german leader ...

So, I am up? It is simply the reverse order of VQ01, right? --> GOT IT <-- Will play tonight (10 hours away).

Geez, more cows then all other resources combined. Hmm, why wouldn't great plains have lots of sheeps too? They should mix the cows and sheeps to give a bit of variety ... :wow: perhaps, just perhaps, there will be tons of horses too!!!

---

Speaking about order, I had an idea of doing a alternating order (NB:I am not suggesting we use this, it's just something that came to me, so I thought I'll share it): A->B->C->D->E->A->E->D->C->B->(start over again).

This make it such that each player will handover to one player in the odd round, and takeover from the same player in the even round. The only bad things is like player (B) and (E) will have a somewhat awkward waiting periods, 1 turnset, then 7 turnsets.

Perhaps too confusing... and I did enjoy knowing what I could expect to receive from the previous player as the game went on!

First turnset, so don't expect too much story....

From the City Governor

:sleep:
The governor get so bored, nothing to do, so he decides go plant some trees ...

From the 3-warrior-strong Department of Defense

Report from northern warrior in the first turn:
"Saw lion in the first turn. Man, we are not yet full strength ... let's run!"
And so he ran.

Report from northern warrior 2 turns after:
"Whew. Finally fled the lions. Let's heal for some turn."
And so he healed.

Report from northern warrior 3 turns after:
"Hee hee, I am full strength now. Let's go find that lion and gain some experience."
And so he went...

But little does he knows that where there are a lot of cows, there will be a lot of lions!!! :eek:

And so he died.

From the Foreign Minister

Met Cyrus, Mansa, Vicky, and Hatty.
A rough estimate of where they are:

Note: only frederick and Vicky are confirmed locations, the rest are mere estiomates based on where their scouts came from.

From the Flight department

"wait a minute, what flight? Flight is at least 3500 years away!"
"don't know ... somehow we know how to fly. Some control alternate F thingy"

Notice the northern most fog is not blurry but sharp? It suggests that that is the edge of world.

From the Nothing-Better-to-Do-so-Keep-Tab-on-Stats Department

From the National Archives
Spoiler :

Turn 36 (2560 BC)
Rome finishes: Barracks

Turn 37 (2520 BC)
Rome begins: Warrior
Warrior promoted: Combat I
GreyFox: Lion near north warrior, no choice but to run away since he is not full strength
Tech learned: Animal Husbandry

Turn 38 (2480 BC)
Research begun: Polytheism
Research begun: The Wheel

Turn 39 (2440 BC)

Turn 40 (2400 BC)

Turn 41 (2360 BC)
Rome finishes: Warrior

Turn 42 (2320 BC)
Rome begins: Warrior

Turn 43 (2280 BC)
Tech learned: The Wheel
Rome grows: 5
Warrior defeats (1.36/2): Barbarian Lion
Warrior loses to: Barbarian Lion (1.04/2)

Turn 44 (2240 BC)
Research begun: Archery
Contact made: Persian Empire

Turn 45 (2200 BC)
Contact made: English Empire

Turn 46 (2160 BC)
Rome finishes: Warrior

Turn 47 (2120 BC)
Rome begins: Settler
Tribal village results: experience

Turn 48 (2080 BC)
GreyFox: hut gives experience
Contact made: Malinese Empire
Tech learned: Archery
Judaism founded in a distant land
Contact made: Egyptian Empire

Turn 49 (2040 BC)
Research begun: Pottery

Turn 50 (2000 BC)

The save: (and eektor, sorry, you are UP in both SGs ... and possibly all three!!! :lol:)

So at least we have horses now! Nice to see another forest popped, let's hope we can get that to happen a couple more times.

Too bad, those gems are one tile outside of the tier 2 city. Oh well, at least they are not in the four squares of dead space!

I still can't get over how many cows there are!! I counted 30 now. :rotfl:

We need to found our south city asap and get some culture cranking on it - good thing we've got a settler being built. That's the only way we'll be able to reasonably get copper... Archers will be nice for defense, but axemen will make the coming attacks more survivable.

Nice work on the research Grey. Scared me when I first saw you started to research Poly!

Great turns GreyFox - and an interesting read...

What do you think about chancing life without copper for a little while? We have horses, so we can cover lots of ground... Just a thought.

We originally wanted to go east for production, and without being able to chop settlers, we aren't really going to put cities up that fast until we get that east city...

@bobrath: the poly click is just a place holder. I hate it when they show the research/build options ... does not allow me to look at the current situation. heh ... maybe I should do that more often :mischief:

Yeah, since there is no forest to chop, I think its imperative to get the first 3 cities up and running, even to the extent of forgoing exploration. With our variant, exporation is not that crucial except for the hut. All we ned to do is to scout the four would-be city sites to decide where the next city is.

I think eektor can start pulling back the warriors top be in place when the settler is ready. (sorry I should have done taht, but there is a hut I want to pop first!

Actually we can crank settlers out if we use the whip. Rome has the wheat which can support it for a bit. And remember that once you pasteurize cows they provide +2food and +2 shields (and +1 health). So that southern city will be able to provide 4 cows (and thus 8 hammers).

The eastern city has the extra defense of river crossings, but is not on a hill so its not the perfect defense. I'd lean towards settling it next only to get pops... Speaking of figuring out if we have any chance at iron and our praets. After all if AIs don't exist they can't make our dot's hard to build on!

(oh and it looks like Cyrus might have been a better choice for us on this variant... Expansive and Cultural... mmm)

I'm so happy the lone forest is spreading. Too bad you can't do anything to encourage its growth... or can you?

@oldbustedjorn:

nope, I think the southern city is still the better. The hills don't provide much production if you don't have the food to allow working on the hills. Cows are actually better early shields provider, since they give food as well.

As for the settlers, shields are not the only determining factor on how fast it can be built. Food count as well (basically the speed at which settler is built is based on total food+hammer count). Which is why I delayed until Rome grows further before building that settler ... this remnds me, I may have forgotten to MM rome when building that settler :smoke:... eektor pleas e check that before you press enter!

-

Top Bottom