VQ02 - Predetermined City Placement

Ok, I went ahead and played 10... well, actually I played 11, to get us to an even number. (I ended on turn 90)

Spoiler :

Turn 79 (900 BC)
Research begun: Meditation
Research begun: Priesthood
Research begun: Monarchy
Antium grows: 4
Antium finishes: Barracks

Turn 80 (875 BC)
Antium begins: Library

Turn 81 (850 BC)
Cumae grows: 2

Turn 82 (825 BC)
Antium grows: 5

Turn 83 (800 BC)
Rome finishes: Settler

Turn 84 (775 BC)
Rome begins: Library
Tech learned: Meditation

Turn 85 (750 BC)

Turn 86 (725 BC)
Neapolis founded
Neapolis begins: Obelisk
Confucianism founded in a distant land
Archer defeats (3.00/3): Barbarian Warrior

Turn 87 (700 BC)
Archer defeats (2.52/3): Barbarian Warrior
Rome begins: Praetorian
Chariot defeats (3.48/4): Barbarian Warrior

Turn 88 (675 BC)
Tech learned: Priesthood
Antium finishes: Library
Cumae's borders expand

Turn 89 (650 BC)
Antium begins: Praetorian
Rome finishes: Praetorian
Cumae finishes: Granary

Turn 90 (625 BC)
Rome begins: Worker
Cumae begins: Barracks

First off, I veto MC for a beeline to Monarchy. Rome is it's limit on happy, and Antium is already showing angry citizens. We need :) and we need them now! We need to be able to hook up the wines, and adopt Hereditary Rule.

Now, barbs are starting to pop up, and I've been getting some free experience.

I built our first Praet... and there's a reason why. We need to go to war!! And soon!

I hope no one likes Hatty. She's made a fatal mistake.

Also, looks like we're going to get it on with Fredrick or Victoria sooner rather than later...

Attachments

• Cumae.JPG
    Cumae.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 262
  • City 5.JPG
    City 5.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 255
I was hoping we'd get at least the western city up, but I guess its to be expected with this varient. Good job securing the north and starting on the praets...

Make sure to throw a couple of axes and at least one spear unless you can confirm their lack of resources. I found out the hard way that praets suck against axes...

I know that Hatty has axes, I saw one outside our borders. So yes, some axes are needed also.

Now, *technically* we do not have to declare on Hatty until she is truely blocking our expansion. (right now, the square is open for us to settle)

But, I say we :hammer: sooner rather than later, while our Praets are strong.

bobrath: Feel free to veto Monarchy for Construction. We may need the cats ASAP!

The Roster:

player 1: Maquis -- Just played
player 2: bobrath -- UP!
player 3: Greyfox -- on deck
player 4: eektor --
player 5: oldbustedjorn --

Well, we don't have copper, so Axes aren't available! Unless we trade iron and horses to Hatty.... NO WAY. Her UU is horse based, we need to deny that.

I did found a western city.. It revolted two turns later. Going to have to be very careful on this one. Get the culture going asap.

Good news, we did get religion early on in my turns and its spread to 3 of our five cities. Not Antium yet, so its still on AVOID GROWTH and is one unhappy.

Barbs won some against us and lost some against us. I made sure our Praets get cover promotions asap.

Turn log w/ some comments along the way.
Spoiler :

Turn 90 (625 BC)
Rome begins: Archer
Confucianism has spread: Cumae
Confucianism has spread: Neapolis

Turn 91 (600 BC)
User comment: Well, we get confused! Aligns us with a ton of folks and that good for the diplomatic side.

Turn 92 (575 BC)
Rome finishes: Archer
Chariot loses to: Barbarian Archer (0.93/3)
User comment: Stupid barb archer takes out our chariot...

Turn 93 (550 BC)
Rome begins: Settler
Cumae begins: Confucian Temple
Confucianism has spread: Rome
Antium finishes: Praetorian

Turn 94 (525 BC)

Turn 95 (500 BC)
User comment: I whip a settler in Rome so we can stake our claim (I hope) in the west. Took 2 pop points to do tho...
Rome finishes: Settler

Turn 96 (475 BC)
Praetorian promoted: Combat I
Praetorian defeats (6.40/8): Barbarian Warrior
Antium finishes: Praetorian

Turn 97 (450 BC)
Antium begins: Scout
Praetorian promoted: Cover
Antium finishes: Scout
Neapolis finishes: Obelisk

Turn 98 (425 BC)
Neapolis begins: Library
Praetorian defeats (7.20/8): Barbarian Archer
Pisae founded
Pisae begins: Obelisk
Warrior promoted: Combat I
Warrior promoted: Cover
Scout promoted: Guerilla I
User comment: Pisae Founded, so we've got our cross!
Scout loses to: Barbarian Archer (3.00/3)
User comment: Barb Archer pops up and nukes my newly built scout!:mad:
Warrior loses to: Barbarian Archer (1.02/3)
User comment: Archer was attacking across water / up a hill/ on a cover promoted warrior... blargh!:mad: :mad:

Turn 99 (400 BC)
Praetorian promoted: Combat I
Rome finishes: Library
Neapolis's borders expand
Praetorian defeats (8.00/8): Barbarian Archer

Turn 100 (375 BC)
Rome begins: Confucian Temple
User comment: oh crud... pisae revolting already!
Praetorian defeats (8.00/8): Barbarian Warrior
User comment: Monarchy due in 9...
User comment: As soon as religion spreads to Antium, its unhappy will go away...

Cultural Picture:

And the resource plot with some lines to help:

Our GNP is doing alright (3rd in the world), but our culture just stinks right now and with Hatty pushing on us, we need to fix that. I think we'll have to go to war soon. Sorry I didn't leave us in better shape for that.

Left the research on Monarchy as the extra happy will help us out. My only thought was to maybe detour to either alphabet for the tech trading or horsebackriding for the horse archers... Up to the next player on that choice tho. Dunno if going for cats right now is that smart. Hatty will prolly have swallowed us by then (imo)

No idea on next city location, but we prolly need to get our own house in order (and get to some sort of tech lead) before we grow too much more.

Good job on getting our western city up... I hope! We need to take the cultural pressure off it, and soon. I think the best way is to show Hatty the way of the Praets!

At least our warmonger is up! Take it to her Greyfox! :hammer:

As a side note, we have "officially" opened up the next tier of cities... so we can settle in the SW and get the bronze sooner...

Axeman require copper or iron so we should be able to build them.

Aww I kind of liked Hatty, too bad she had to settle in our area.

Well if GreyFox is going to return the favor, I guess I should get ready for some builder turns after his war with Hatty.

Oh and northwest looks like a good spot for a city after the southeast one and after the war with Hatty.

Now that I think of it, creative sounds like a better trait for this variant ... then again there is no creative organized leader.

:yumyum: WAR? Did I hear the word WAR? :lol:

Seriously, are we prepared for war? Remember, War is Won in Preparation (TM). I have no access to Civ now, but looking at the previous turn logs, I see only two praets ... I will need at least 5 praets now to make an effective war, so I doubt I'll start one ... unless I use the :whip: like nobody business ...

Guess I will prepare us for war, but eektor would mostly be the one to actually hammer on Hatty.

Well, we can prevent the flip in Pisae by stationing 4-5 troops there, which is what I am going to do anyway, the praets will go there , get ready, once we have enough, its time to issue the march order! :hammer: :hammer:

Got it, will play tonight.

-

There is an "odd of revolting" on the city properties screen... Right now our west city shows 3.33% chance!

that's why you sould only trade your extra.

That leads me to believe that only one of each resources makes a difference right? If you have two clams, cities with harbors only get +1 health (or whatever they give for clams) - they wouldn't get 2x1 health for having multiple clams....

I don't know why I never bothered to check into this, as it is really important...

Yes, that is right. If you look at the city screen, it lists each of the health resources that you have hooked up. Each will be listed like +1 :health: (5) with the number in the parenthisis being the number of that resource you have... but you still only get the +1 :health:

So in this game, we should try to find a way to trade some of our 50,000 cows that we have. :lol: Not that anyone's going to need them...

Correct.

So while we want to hook up cows in our city radius for the improvement it does to the tile, there's no need to pasture cows outside the radius cause we won't be able to trade them for much of anything (since everyone will have cows!).

Top Bottom