VQ02 - Predetermined City Placement

Lurker's commentsThat's why it's sometimes a good idea to hook up only one of those ressources and to use some other improvements on them; grassland-based luxuries especially (sugar excluded since it gives food).
Ivory + Grassland = 1p 1c 2f
Ivory + Grassland + Camp = 1p 1c + 2f + 1p 1c = 2p 2f 2c
Ivory + Grassland + Town = 1p 1c + 2f + 1p(assuming universal suffrage) 7c (assuming printing press and free speech) = 2p 2f 8c
So... only one ivory, preferably outside of workable town limits ;)
That is, assuming you won't trade ressources with the AI, like say in an AW scenario...

For cows, though, after checking civilopedia, Pastures are definitely the way to go. Carry on :)

From the Keep the Citizen-Happy-Department

During my inherited turn, was looking around, saw Rome building temple in 6 turns, but will grow in 5 turns ... so:

Now we will avoid the unhappy citizen, since onc eRome grows, the temple will completes too, taking care of the crowded issue.

But it turns out this is pointless, since:

You know what that means, right? Right? Yes, its time to revolt to Hereditary Rule! That take care of all the unhappiness for now, in every city.

Meanwhile

Some idiot called Marchiavellie dared tell us that we are not even forgotten in his Most Advanced listing. What audacity! I have him headed to the executioner block.

Wait aminute, what is that red message ... :eek:

Barbie Trouble

We have barbarians popping out every 2 to 3 turns ...

Turn 102 (325 BC): Praetorian defeats (0.80/8): Barbarian Axeman

Turn 103 (300 BC): Praetorian defeats (2.24/8): Barbarian Axeman

Turn 106 (225 BC): Archer defeats (2.55/3): Barbarian Warrior

And at the end of my rule, the situation is ....

To War or Not To War

... that is the question ... to be answered by next ruler.

The troops are in place:

And good news is although Hatty has a higher score, she is way below us in power:

From the Statistics Department

Not very encouragng ... but we are first in production ... thanks to the cows ....

So, eektor, I believe I have set you up nicely for war ... although it is tempting to steal that worker, I suggest you take care of the barbie first ...

Turn-log, if anyone interested:
Spoiler :

Turn 100 (375 BC)
GreyFox: MM'ed Rome for growth to occur with the temple

Turn 101 (350 BC)
Antium finishes: Praetorian

Turn 102 (325 BC)
Antium begins: Axeman
Praetorian promoted: Combat I
Praetorian defeats (0.80/8): Barbarian Axeman

Turn 103 (300 BC)
Praetorian defeats (2.24/8): Barbarian Axeman

Turn 104 (275 BC)
Praetorian promoted: Shock
Antium finishes: Axeman
Contact made: American Empire

Turn 105 (250 BC)
Rome grows: 6
Rome finishes: Confucian Temple

Turn 106 (225 BC)
Rome begins: Praetorian
Archer promoted: Combat I
Archer defeats (2.55/3): Barbarian Warrior
Antium finishes: Axeman
Neapolis grows: 3

Turn 107 (200 BC)
Tech learned: Monarchy

Turn 108 (175 BC)
Research begun: Mathematics

Turn 109 (150 BC)
Rome finishes: Praetorian

Turn 110 (125 BC)
Rome begins: Praetorian

The save: (eektor is UP):

Yikes! Pisae doesn't look so good there.

It doesn't look good that we aren't in the top 8 for technology either. How many civs are there?

Got it and I'll play tonight.

No idea, but I suspect 9 civs.

Alphabet will let us turn some of our more expensive techs into multiple older techs... I think the computer figures research level more based on how many techs you have instead of beaker cost spent. Not sure tho.

Good turns GreyFox. Pisae needs some relief asap. Good to see we've got units on the way to do just that. It wouldn't hurt to have the next wave of army be horse drawn or mounted, just to get to the front faster!

and long term... if we can capture Hatty's holy city... that's income baby!

There are 9 AI civs on this map. If you count, we have met 8 of them, and the civ that is #2 in tech we have not met.

So... we and Washington are the bottom two. The only question is, are we dead last in tech? :cry:

Looks like we need to do something about Hatty, and fast... I assume we have to get rid of two of her cities in order to take the pressure off Pisae.

By looking at the culture borders, I doubt either city is in the correct place. Time to raze, and we might need to replace fiarly quickly with Hatty being creative.

@eektor: Take that worker if at all possible... I love slaves, er, free workers.

IF it goes into our predetermined dotmap and that's a big if.

Question, say if there was a city in the right spot say four spaces west of Pisae. If we go to war would we have to raze it since we aren't ready for that tier of cities yet or could we keep the city?

Not quite! Remember, we raze any city that is not in the perfect spot, and in the current tier. So, holy city or not, we may have to raze it! :suicide:

Am I the one that came up with this rule? :hammer2:

Question, say if there was a city in the right spot say four spaces west of Pisae. If we go to war would we have to raze it since we aren't ready for that tier of cities yet or could we keep the city?

I mentioned it in my post above. The city has to be in the current tier to keep it. So, the only way we could get lucky is if that city is in the right spot, and we can hold off taking it until we are in that tier. (We have to settle the 4 corner cities before we can keep a city 5 tiles west of Pisae.)

Man, I didn't image we'd be running into these problems so soon... well at least we get into action quickly!

Cultural Hatty.... Going to be tough to contain her cities and all their push... Plus Fredrick is ALSO creative. Did you purposly pick a non-creative leader for us and make sure everyone else would pressure like crazy?!?!

;)

I think GreyFox influenced it ... so he had a better chance of going to war in this SG.

I will work on easing up the cultural influence of Hatty :satan:

Then I'll see what I can do with finishing off the tier.

Just because we have to settle in a set pattern... don't let the extra costs associated with having that many cities this early in the game get forgotten.

We may be organized, but that doesn't mean we can go settler crazy!

Turn 0: 125 BC

Turn 1: 100 BC
Barbarian problems … decided to postpone war and redirect a praet to help out.

Turn 2: 75 BC
Killed Barb Axe

Turn 3: 50 BC
Killed Barb war and archer.
Declared war on Egypt and captured a worker.

Turn 4: 25 BC

View attachment 117160

No wonder our city was 1% Roman and 99% Egyptian. If you notice Heliopolis is the Confucian holy city too.

Turn 5: 1 AD
Neapolis: Library -> Settler
Pisae: Obelisk -> Library
Memphis captured and razed. :hammer:

Now let’s see what we can do with that holy city.

Turn 6: 25 AD
Killed some more barbarians
Rome: Axeman -> Praet

Turn 7: 50 AD
Took care of some Egyptian axeman

Turn 8: 75 AD
Mathematics -> Alphabet
Antium: Praet -> Axeman
Pillaged Egypt’s copper resource

Turn 9: 100 AD
Rome: Praet -> Archer (for new city defense)
Attack on Heliopolis (Had one casualty – a praet)
Captured Heliopolis and … and … :cry: razed :cry:

I’ll stop there since it’s a nice round number and I’m not sure what we want to do.

View attachment 117162

looks nice now

View attachment 117161

from the looks of it, I don't think we can keep those two at all.

View attachment 117163

:eek: -2 for taking out our holy city. Well at least we know that our religion wouldn't be making another civ wealthy.

After turn commentary:
Well, we can keep going taking out the Egyptians or make peace. Most likely those two cities are not placed where they should and need to be razed sooner or later. Frederick isn’t too happy that we razed their holy city. (I wonder if we got unhappy faces for that?) I got a settler almost done that I think should be placed in the southwest.

Ok, I had more screenshots but they didn't come out. Am I doing anything wrong? I have a laptop and use function print screen. Is there another way of doing it?

Also in regard to going settler crazy. I think we can handle more. I usually stop when I need to be at 60% science to stay afloat, but from reading other people's gotm spoilers and sg's I think I need to aim lower and expand more rapidly.

Besides we don't even have currency yet so that would help us.

Nice turns!

I'd suggest using our praet advantage and taking Hatty out. No sense leaving a weakened CULTURAL neighbor around. To have any real success here, we need to defend our territory rabidly. Hatty chose poorly, so lets finish it.

And it sounds like Frederick is about to chose poorly too...

Great job in taking it to Hatty. That will teach her to mess with perfection!

I just had a feeling one of those cities was going to be the holy city. It's really starting to look like we won't be able to keep a single AI city this whole game... But hey, that's the way it goes!

I'm wondering if we want to keep the war going... with Hatty's culture, she may come and re-settle soon... and it's only a matter of time when she starts to out-culture us again.

oldbustedjorn... ball's in your court!

Roster:

player 1: Maquis --- on deck
player 2: bobrath ---
player 3: Greyfox ---
player 4: eektor --- sliced and diced Hatty
player 5: oldbustedjorn --- UP!

Nice job, eektor! I knew I set you up too well ... ;)

We can stop the war right now to catch our breathe, or we can press on and reduce Egypt to a forgotten tribe. Stopping right now means we can milk Egypt for some gold or Tech.

Guys, I won't be too concern about tech right now. Its Prince, remember? They have a slight headstart ... but we should be catching up soon.

Cottages is inevitable ... we need to do some calculations on the bread count for each city's BFC, and commit just enough tiles to cottages.

Alphabet immediately after mathematics :crazyeye:? Hmmm ... we cannot afford go swaying from one tech tree to another like we did in Noble. Civ4 is about focus. You need focus to gain enough momentum to win. My humble opinion is that we should have started alphabet after getting construction (for cats).

-

@eektor: somehow the Civ4 built-in printscreen doesn't save the screenshot when a dialog is in progress (eg. when you have a dialogue with another leader, building options pop-ups, etc). The way to do it is to switch to the image manipulations program after hitting prtscrn (image in clipboard), and paste the image into the program for saving.

-

Top Bottom