VQ05 - The Conquistadors

I can take it tonight, unless eektor wants to step in.

I think trying to expand to the south is the best idea right now.

Also, I happen to like Barceona, simply becuase it is coastal... that is important in our variant!

I played up to 350BC (I think that is 15 turns?)

I see we're getting a little hemmed in already... yikes. We need more than 3 cities! I would still like to try and squeeze one to the south...

Research summary: HBR came in, and I set to masonry (like to get the stones working!). After Masonry, Priesthood (possibly try for Oracle?). I then notice that no one has founded confusinism... CoL is currently in the queue.

Religion: After the monistary bult in Madrid, I build a missionary, to send to Cyrus; he's not gotten any religion yet. Nice to see that BUD spread to china's lands as well. Would still like to get BUD to JC. Also currently working to spread BUD to our cities for the :) and the culture in new cities.

Built an oblesk in Seville... we want to get it to pop the borders before Cyrus steals the horses!

I did manage to fit that city down south:

May not be optimum, but the extra ivory and stone may help in trading, since we should have some nice neighbors...

ONe last thing, there's a barb axe knocking on the door of barcelona... hopefully IBT he'll go for our axe...

And the save:

Am I up already?

Wow, we are really really running out of breathing space. Emmmm ... you know what that means, right? Right? Right?

:hammer: --> EVERYONE OF THEM HAS CHOSEN UNWISELY! <-- :hammer:

:lol:

Good idea on getting extra stone and ivory for trading ... I just hope the AI is willing to pay as much as they charge for ivory.

-

GreyFox the II

The sun rises over the tiny Spanish empire, as GreyFox the II paced up and down in his chambers.

"Things are not looking good, Prime Minister."

"Why, Sire?"

"We are running out of land, and there is a barbarian axeman near the lightly defended Barcelona"

"Don't worry, Sire, reports are back. The barbarian axeman stopped to pillage our road, and the General has ordered our own axeman to engage the enemy. Last I heard is we have won."

"Alright, that is one less problem to worry about."

"You worry too much, Sire. Everything is in order."

"Really? Look at this. Cyrus is sending out his settler again. We have no more land for ourselves! How are the spainish people going to expand?"

"Reports have it that he had turned back. Don't worry! I have also ordered Madrid to start another colonization expedition, after the buddhist Missionary is sent out to Serville."

"That's a relief. But I got a message from Luois last night. He has demanded that we cancel our deals with Cyrus ..."

"Never, sire. Louis can go jump around in his ackyard, we are at better relationship with the Persians anyway. They are our brothers of faith."

"True, but we may be forced to attack Persians ... "

"That won't happen, we are too weak to take on anybody."

"Then, please order a bararcks after the settler is built, would you? Its time we serious train our army."

"Your wish is my commd, sire. Our army is also ready to be trained to used horses in battle."

"That is good. I heard that salad-eating roman has founded Code of Laws."

"Yes, which was why I decided to switch us to alphabet. I think we should go for literature and build ourselves a Great Library."

"That's far too long ... I am more worried about our land shortage problem."

"I have draw out a plan on our colonization effort, sire."

"We could go for the red site. It will gain us access to cows and corns, good for growing, and will also halt the Persian's expansions."

"Another alternative is the purple site, sire. This will convert the desert into useful land, and gain us access to spices."

"But that is useless. There is no food, and our people don't know how to cook using spices..."

GreyFox II let out a long sigh.

"Look at this:

The world is full of resources, but look at these:

Our land is so small ..."

"Sire, you shouldn't worry so much. You have to be careful with your health ..."

"You are right, Prime Minister. I need to go somewhere to recuperate. I can't lead my people to greatness with this health, can I?"

"No, sire, you can't."

"OK, have Woobi prepare to overlook the state matters. I am going to take a ong rest ..."

Spoiler :

350BC:

IBT: Confucianism FIADL. Barb axe pillage road.

325BC: Axe kills barb axe. Switched us away from CoL to Alphabet

IBT: JC switch to Confuciamism

300BC: Madrid: Bud Miss -> Settler
Seville: Granary -> Work Boat

275BC: zzzz

250BC: ****, Cyrus is settling like mad ....

245BC: Whew, he turned back

IBT: Christianity FIADL

200BC: Buddhism spread to Serville

175BC: zzz

150BC: zzz

125BC: Madrid: Settler -> Barracks
Louis asked us to cancel deals with Persians. Nope.

100BC: Horses connected

The save:

Red is awful close to the persian city of Arbella... Purple might be better one north of the far east spice. It avoids almost all the desert, but still gets the spices.

And its Seville.... not Serville!!!!!!

I have several priorities for this turnset.

1. Build up military, either swords or horsemen. I think swords are probably
better because they cost less, Cyrus does have Iron but it is in Susa right now so, if we strike quickly we might
catch him without axemen. He also dosn't have any visible sources of horsies, which means no immortals.

2. Build 5th city with current settler, I was thinking the cows and corn spot
because A. It would be quite a gp farm, and B. Because Arbela might not be there after a
few turns.

3. Keep improving the land. I was looking at the situation, it looks like
Seville will be our production powerhouse, Barcelona will be a commerce site, and cordoba will be
a commerce site as well. Madrid will probably be better off focusing on shields at the moment,
but we might want to switch it commerce later.

Turn 1: Switched a few tiles around, looked at the state of the game. Were still last in score
We need to change that.

Turn 2: Seville: Work Boat>Barracks, Just noticed that Cyrus has another settler in Arbela.
If he is planning on settling the spices behind us, we might be able to slow him down by canceling
our open borders. If the settler tries to come through, I will try it. I also settled city by
Cows and Corn.

Turn 3: Not much this turn, Toledo (our new city), started an obelisk, also, christianity spread to Toledo

Turn 4:Nothing much, looks like Cyrus is turning that settler back, looks like we won't have to cancel open borders after all.

Turn 5: Alphabet comes in, start research on Litature. Make a few trades, Horseback Riding to Mansa for Math, Horseback And Meditation to Cyrus for Sailing and Archery

Turn 6: Barcelona Barracks>Swordsman, Cordoba Obelisk>Granary.

Turn 7: Not much on domestic front, Bejing builds the Colossus. China is looking like a monster right now. I also see Persia with a Axeman, but with only one.

Turn 8: Barcelona Library>Lighthouse

Turn 9: Madrid Sword>sword, I think I made a mistake somewhere in the turn count, because its 100 AD now.

Well, that was a fairly uneventful turnset. We built our first sword, and should be ready for war sometime in the next turnset.
I would suggest razing Arbela first before Cyrus puts any axes there. Then go for either Susa or Pasargade.

Right now Madrid is optimized for maximium shields. Seville is almost done with its barracks and should be able to start building units as well.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 130
Hmm, I forgot to attach save, and when I tried to edit the post and attach the save, it woudn't show up. Ok, tried it again and figured out the problem, it says upload error in the upload popup window? Does anybody know how to fix this? I'm afraid I have to go right now but I'll work on it tonight.

You can always use the "upload file" feature in the bottom of every forum page. Once the file is uploaded, just click on "View Folder" to check if the save is in the folder, and then righclick on the save to copy the link location. copy the link location here. For details, look at the sticky "File Upload Guide" posted in the announcement section of the SG sub-forum.

Nice turns going, zach. So its your opinion that we should first take out Persia? I tend to agree ... ... it must be a swift move if this is the case ...

-

Ok, here is the save. Thanks Greyfox for the tip.

About Persia though, Immortals are normal 4 strength chariots except they have a 50% bonus vs archers. So are Swords shoudn't have too much trouble. It dosn't even look as if he has horses at this point. The only thing we need to really worry about is axemen. In fact it might be a good idea to build a couple of horses in case he builds more of them.

I couldn't in good concience go the all swords path. Our cities had single warrior defenders!!!! Sorry folks, but other civs would just climb right up our backsides and if Cyrus ever got a raider group into us... ICK.

So after the sword completes in Rome, it became an Archer factory. At end of my turns we have one archer in every city except Barcelona. If next player wants to go to way, we're at least not dead last on the power scale now.

Had to give tribute to JC (HBR) and "assistance" to QSH (Math) very early in my turns. We just don't have the military to take a chance. Really stinks when the 2 game score leaders are the ones extorting techs from you.

I finished Literature and began researching Construction. Due in 6. We're running +1 @ 70% w/ 51 in the bank. Construction for the obvious military benefits, but also for bridge since we've got rivers all over our land.

JC founded Taoism early on in my turns as well.
Mansa came mid turn and asked for me to cancel deals with QSH. I denied that of course.

I did trade Alphabet to Cyrus for Monotheism and immeadiatly went to OR. We need to get Buddhism spread to Cordoba and Toledo soon. (Building a missionary in Rome now).

I've whipped Toledo twice in my turns (oblisk and christian temple) so it would have a chance in the culture wars. Cyrus has founded a new city up by the NE spices - more reason to hate him.

IMO, we're in a bad way right now. We have only a minimal tech advantage and the other civs have leads elsewhere (currency for instance). We have no military advantage. We're done expanding organically...

I know war has to happen and we're lucky that Cyrus is the weakest (with us being 2nd), but we need to be real careful the other civs don't get uppity and jump on us as we're busy trying to absorb Cyrus.

Here's the save:

Some thoughts on the game. We are in a bad postion right now, but I think we can climb out of it if we can take persia's land. Bad luck on the extortions and Cyrus founding a city on the spices. A question though, why is Seville building a library? We desperately need military right now and Seville is about the same as madrid with regards to production.

Re: Seville and Library

You see one symptom of my builder background. I actually did the library for two reasons - the culture boost and the tech boost to keep us in the research race. Seville is under growing cultural pressure and I hate trying to make up lost ground. We're holding our own with the cultural borders there, but to me it was more important to keep Seville culturally aggresive (horses denied to Cyrus be this).

Sure I could go with building up our military, but making sure we denied horses to Cyrus and kept in the tech race was more important to me. Again - builder mentality - I know that the aggresive side would deny Cyrus horses by wiping out any nearby influence!

Ok, roster check time:

Maquis - UP!
GreyFox - On deck
Woobi - Skipped
seezachsiwm
bobrath - Just played

alt: eektor

As for Woobi: Last Activity: Apr 29, 2006 09:10 PM

I'm hoping he's just out of pocket this week... If we don't hear back from him by the time his turn comes back around, we'll have to drop him unfortunatly...

eektor, you up for a turnset, maybe cover for Woobi?

Top Bottom