Here is the roster: (20 turns)

Cosmichail -->--> Didn't find any civs?
NamliaM -->just played--> Finds a lot of deserts we must be arabs
Greyfox -->UP --> Need to find some civs for target practice
Eektor --> on deck Will he find us a good place to settle 2nd city
Armstrong --> proposed excellent starting strategy
Scowler --> didn't like starting with worker hope it don't backfire

An isolated start? :eek:

It looks like all of our food resources are near the sea. How about we focus on coastal cities and prioritize the Colossus? 2F4C coast tiles can produce some some serious commerce. One of the nice things about isolated starts is that we can slow the expansion a bit... we could try building the Oracle for Metalcasting. If we run an engineer, we'll more than likely get a Great Engineer we can use for Great Lighthouse (if we can meet some neighbors) or Great Library (if we're truly isolated until Optics.)

Ever heard the song that goes like this:

I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world ... ?

Well, in our case, we are not a barbie girl, but we are the Barbie Slayer.

Barbs first appear when our scout so unfortunately explores the northeast region, revealing that we are indeed isolated, on a fairly large island of our own:

And our worst fear is realized: the archer moves to block our scout ...

I have no choice but to move the scout to the forest ... that's the best chance he'll ever get .... not that it helps:

Turn 41 (2770 BC)
While defending, Scout loses to: Barbarian Archer (2.55/3) at 2.0 percent.

The archer then came knocking at our door ....

And our scout is avenged:

Turn 51 (2470 BC)
While defending, Archer defeats (1.74/3): Barbarian Archer at 99.0 percent.

And remaining turnset were barbs and more barbs:

Notice in the last picture, all of our tile improvements were gone. :aargh:

I was hoping to get us a settler when we grow to turn 4, but there is more pressing need to get rid of the barbs. Once we have 2 more acrhers, its time to start our settling party.

Oh, and someone stated the obvious:

Spoiler autolog :

Turn 36 (2920 BC)
GreyFox: Its actually 24 turns, not 23!

IBT:
While defending, Scout defeats (0.84/1): Barbarian Lion at 89.1 percent.

Turn 37 (2890 BC)

IBT:

Turn 38 (2860 BC)

IBT:

Turn 39 (2830 BC)

IBT:

Turn 40 (2800 BC)

IBT:

Turn 41 (2770 BC)
Washington finishes: Warrior

IBT:
While defending, Scout loses to: Barbarian Archer (2.55/3) at 2.0 percent.

Turn 42 (2740 BC)
Washington begins: Barracks

IBT:

Turn 43 (2710 BC)
Washington grows: 3

IBT:

Turn 44 (2680 BC)
Tech learned: Archery

IBT:
While defending, Warrior defeats (1.32/2): Barbarian Warrior at 75.1 percent.

Turn 45 (2650 BC)
Research begun: The Wheel
Washington begins: Archer

IBT:

Turn 46 (2620 BC)

IBT:

Turn 47 (2590 BC)

IBT:
While defending, Warrior defeats (1.72/2): Barbarian Warrior at 99.0 percent.

Turn 48 (2560 BC)

IBT:

Turn 49 (2530 BC)

IBT:

Turn 50 (2500 BC)

IBT:

Turn 51 (2470 BC)
Washington finishes: Archer

IBT:
While defending, Archer defeats (1.74/3): Barbarian Archer at 99.0 percent.

Turn 52 (2440 BC)

IBT:

Turn 53 (2410 BC)

IBT:
While defending, Warrior defeats (1.20/2): Barbarian Archer at 43.2 percent.
While defending, Warrior defeats (0.80/2): Barbarian Archer at 43.2 percent.

Turn 54 (2380 BC)
Warrior promoted: Woodsman I
Warrior promoted: Woodsman I

IBT:

Turn 55 (2350 BC)

IBT:

Turn 56 (2320 BC)
Tech learned: The Wheel

IBT:

Turn 57 (2290 BC)
Research begun: Pottery

IBT:
While defending, Archer defeats (3.00/3): Barbarian Archer at 99.4 percent.
While defending, Warrior defeats (0.50/2): Barbarian Warrior at 96.4 percent.

Turn 58 (2260 BC)
Archer promoted: City Garrison I
Washington grows: 4

IBT:
While defending, Archer defeats (3.00/3): Barbarian Warrior at 100.0 percent.

Turn 59 (2230 BC)
Washington finishes: Archer

IBT:

Turn 60 (2200 BC)

>>>> The Save (2200BC) <<<<

Wow that is tough being alone and overrun by barbs. It was supposed to drive the other civ nuts too. We should think about IW for stronger units at some point.

Here is the roster: (20 turns)

Cosmichail -->--> Didn't find any civs?
NamliaM -->--> Finds a lot of deserts we must be arabs
Greyfox -->just played --> The Barbie slayer
Eektor --> UP Will he find us a good place to settle 2nd city
Armstrong -->on deck Will get lots of practice as barbie slayer
Scowler --> We shall become a league of barbie slayers

The more I look at Greyfox's pictures like wow those damn barbs. There is like 4 within the city boundaries. It's amazing we didn't loose Washington. I don't suppose copper showed up anywhere in your travels Greyfox. I wondered in my turn why I hadn't met anyone, usually you meet about three or four in the first turn especially on fractal. It is possible the other civs might be reachable by galley and getting some coastal cities would be good.

aqua said:
I'm a Barbie girl, in a barbie world...
I'm made of plastic - it's fantastic!
You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere...
something... imagination... [can't remember the rest of the lyrics]

Hah, that insidious song overran my dorm when I was in school... :rolleyes:

We're in a serious hole here. It's almost 2000 BC and we only have one city, and we're not even working on a settler. Our improvements are shot... often when playing I'll think, "this is a 'won' game." I think, out there somewhere, some AI is thinking that right now...

Who thought raging barbs was a good idea? :mischief:

Don't worry too much about raging barbs ... they are "suppose" to harass the AI as well ... (I hope!) .... Wait till you promote the archers ... then you would be thankful for these barbs giving us free XPs ... which is why there is no real hurry in getting the barracks done. One single archer can hold off at least 2 archers (barb warriors are pure suicide against archer in defense). So washington is not at all in danger.

We just have to continue building archers (may consider whipping) and get a few out to push the appearance of barbs further away from the city ... then re-do our improvements and get the second city out. Once that is done, everything is under control, and we keep settling until barbs can no longer spawn in our island.

No copper, and so, yes IW is almost a must ... having barbs axe knocking at Washington with only archers as defenders is no fun.

-

Got it. Looks like its going to be a lot of fun. I guess I'll just build units and put them on fog busting positions.

Not sure what we are going to be doing, I thought the only way to win in emporer is to go to early war. Not sure now since we are all alone.

Our objective is space, so research is going to be the deciding factor. Fortunately, we do have marble. I would strongly recommend going the Literature route as early as possible for TGL. Sailing is also of high priority, as the sooner we meet the rest, the sooner we can tech trade. However, we have to survive the barbs, and push them back for expansion first.

So, I suggest we go:
IW > Writing > Sailing > Alpha > Literature

As for builds, I suggest:
Archers > Archers > Archers > Settler

Protect the settler with at least 2 units.

-

Sorry guys, something has come up and I won't be able to play a turnset before Thursday as I probably won't have access to Civ. I will be around for discussion, bad jokes, and general support, though!

SpriteSODA said:
Research sailing and build a galley. maybe theres a way to get to nearby islands.
Only 1 way and that would be south-west... (to the left and below ;) )

For research I suggest we skip sailing for now... Simply get a workboat out ASAP...

IW... is swords vs Axemen much more apealing than Archers vs Axe? NOt much is it?

I think we should head for AH ASAP, horses are much better and cheaper + we need AH pretty soon anyway to develop the pigs... AND its on the way to writing...

If we go for IW and have iron it will be:

Axeman vs Axeman

If we go for AH and have horses it will be:

Chariots vs Axeman

I'll prefer the Axeman vs. Axeman. Although with pigs and sheep around I think AH would be a good idea to go for, but IW seems rather important right now.

Ok Scowler will skip until you have civ again. Yes it was my dumb idea to have the raging barbs. We couldn't have anticipated being alone on a desert island with Gilligan and the barbs. That's the challenge is get around that and at least we won't be boxed in here like when there are other civs around. It maybe a desert island but it ours.

I agree with Greyfox's building/tech paths and definitely accompany any settlers with two archers. @Namliam you funny, Greyfox said it well.

Don't be silly ... nobody say antything abt swordsman. The reason for going IW is because we don't have copper. So we need to reveal iron to build axes of our own.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I also like the idea of trying, for the TGL having marble. If we can get at least one city with lots of science we should be good.

Not meeting any civs at this point isn't that critical as we couldn't trade any techs anyways. It will be once we get to alphabet but maybe with a fishing boat we can find someone.

Good luck Eektor.....

GreyFox said:
Don't be silly ... nobody say antything abt swordsman. The reason for going IW is because we don't have copper. So we need to reveal iron to build axes of our own.

-
You can build Axemen with Iron? *runs of to check* chit you right... I have allways assumed .... chit chit chit... curses... dag nabbit...

OK Axe vs Axe is better than Chariot vs Axe... HA vs Axe is the best, but picking up a rather expensive dead end tech is NOT a real option here...
If not for the "lost" beakers, then for the time needed to research it...

Pottery = Granary = more whipping...
Sailing + masonry = Great lighthouse. Most of our cities on this peace of **** are going to be coastal, if we can get it and have a trading partner far of within reach of coast only... Having the +2 trade routes can really stack up...

[semi personal rant]
In an MP game I crippled my own economy cause I declared war on a civ that blocked my coastal route to the other civs on other Island(s) thus costing me tons of $$$ in trade routes. I had trade routes bringing me 7-8 trade a turn in like 6 or 7 cities. Only 2 trade routes per city, because I missed The Great Light house by 2 turns IIRC. but still 7 * 2 * 6 = 80 commerce easy. My burocratic capitol was one of those coastal cities too... :mad: Now I have to make due with "local" trade routes which only bring 2 :mad: or so commerce per turn... :mad:
The bad thing is... my opponent is holding on and doesnt want to sign peace :sad: so I have to kill kill kill till I have killed that civ...

One now ... sigh I am at a stand still on a choke point... If I ever get past that choke point then its a walk in the park... now not so, WW setting in and such... *grmbl*
[/rant]

I couldn't get around to playing last night so tonight I'll be able to play.

Top Bottom