VQ08 - Washington/Emporer - Mission Control

Good suggestion Armstrong I agree that is better but would like to recommend the following after looking at the save:

Build at least two more archers before sending out settler. We don't have enough and will be spread too thin when we try to settle. I played a little bit and notice lots of barbs coming from that direction so settling near there is good to fogbust but please, please we will need more archers.

That was a crap set of turns, by Toutatis! It's been ages since I last played on Epic speed and I'd forgotten just how slow everything is. And then it took a while to arrange enough protection for the settler (but just as well, since I lost one of the accompanying archers on the way), so New York didn't get founded until quite late in the turnset.

But it has been founded at last:

I decided to go for Red Dot first since we can't work the pigs at Blue-2 (or the sheep at Red, for that matter) until we have AH. What we can do is plop a cottage on the floodplain and get faster growth and extra commerce in one easy package - and that is what the worker is currently doing. There should be enough defenders for the new city so I started on a workboat for exploration.

Meanwhile, DC is still suffering from whiplash as I had to crank out a quick extra archer. I've just set up another settler: it is nominally due in 19, but this can be reduced to 17 if you MM.

In other news, the first barbie axe has just appeared to the SW... :eek:

Barbies slain this round: 21 :ninja:

And according to Livy we are uncouth fellows :rolleyes:

P.S. I played 21 turns as I wanted to see that outcome of a particularly nerve-wracking battle - I hope nobody is too cross :)

Spoiler :
Turn 80 (1600 BC)

IBT:
While defending, Warrior defeats (2.00/2) Barbarian Warrior
While defending, Archer defeats (2.01/3) Barbarian Warrior
While defending, Archer defeats (3.00/3) Barbarian Warrior

Turn 81 (1570 BC)
Archer promoted to Drill I

Turn 82 (1540 BC)

IBT:

Turn 83 (1510 BC)

Turn 84 (1480 BC)

IBT:
While defending, Archer defeats (3.00/3) Barbarian Archer

Turn 85 (1450 BC)

Turn 86 (1420 BC)
Washington equips a Settler

IBT:
While defending, Archer defeats (0.75/3) Barbarian Archer

Turn 87 (1390 BC)
Washington starts an Archer

IBT:
While defending, Archer defeats (0.36/3) Barbarian Warrior

Turn 88 (1360 BC)
Washington equips an Archer

IBT:
While defending, Archer defeats (1.92/3) Barbarian Warrior

Turn 89 (1330 BC)

IBT:
While defending, Archer defeats (1.20/3) Barbarian Warrior

Turn 90 (1300 BC)

IBT:
While defending, Archer defeats (2.67/3) Barbarian Archer

Turn 91 (1270 BC)

Turn 92 (1240 BC)

Turn 93 (1210 BC)
Washington equips an Archer

IBT:
While defending, Warrior defeats (1.36/2) Barbarian Archer
While defending, Warrior defeats (0.96/2) Barbarian Warrior
While defending, Archer defeats (2.19/3) Barbarian Warrior
While defending, Archer defeats (1.41/3) Barbarian Warrior

Turn 94 (1180 BC)
Washington grows to 4

IBT:
While defending, Archer loses to Barbarian Archer (0.84/3)

Turn 95 (1150 BC)
While attacking, Archer defeats (2.52/3) Barbarian Archer

Turn 96 (1120 BC)

Turn 97 (1090 BC)
New York founded
New York starts a Work Boat

Turn 98 (1060 BC)

IBT:
While defending, Warrior defeats (1.74/2) Barbarian Warrior

Turn 99 (1030 BC)

IBT:
While defending, Archer defeats (2.10/3) Barbarian Archer

Turn 100 (1000 BC)
Archer promoted to City Garrison I
Washington equips a Archer

IBT:
While defending, Archer defeats (0.60/3) Barbarian Archer
While defending, Warrior defeats (1.48/2) Barbarian Warrior

Turn 101 (985 BC)
Washington starts a Settler

Of course not Scowler. This is a nerve wrecking game. Wow not even the AI can be so annoying except for those darn SOD's.

Here is the roster: (10 or 15 turns)

Cosmichail -->UP --> General Greyfox set him straight
NamliaM --> --> Maybe Pamela Anderson is amongst The Barbies
Greyfox --> --> Will he see a turn without The Barbies
Eektor --> skipped --> Ok no skipping this you have to suffer like all of us
Armstrong -->just played --> Boy did he get practice as The Barb Slayer
Scowler --> just played --> 21 Barbs dead and still more coming

Is everybody ok with 10 turns now or should we do 15 turns being on epic. This is "I got it" and will play tonight late.

Turn 1

Ax approaching Wash move CD3 from hill to protect city as only defender considerably weakened. Fortify archer in NYC. Change production to archer just in case.

Turn 2

Axe at Wash fortify health Archer

Turn 3

Axe attacks and looses also cross river penalty against him.
Warrior fights off warrior and survives. Move Archer with drill to intercept warrior.

Turn 4

Barb Arch attacks and dies
Barb warrior attacks and dies

Turn 5

zzzzz (some barbs looming)

Turn 6

zzzzz (some barbs looming)

Turn 7

Barb Arch attacks warrior and looses.
We discover IW start AH in 14 turns
Look we have Iron and good place for settlement near clams
Finish Archer fortify on hill.

Turn 8

Move worker to connect ivory
Barbs slowing down or regrouping for another assault

Turn 9

Barb warrior attacks warrior and looses.

Turn 10

Barb warrior attacks warrior and looses

Turn 11

2 barb Archers threaten Washington

Turn 12

Worker moved but back on ivory after Barb Archer went for city.

Turn 13

Barb archer attacks Wash and dies

Turn 14

Barb archer attacks archer on corn and dies
Ivory finished just connect with roads

Turn 15

Barb Warrior attacks warrior and looses
Archer takes out Barb warrior threatening NYC.

The WB will be done soon but mm'd to get it out faster so the next player might want to change the MMing in NYC. Also same goes for Wash as I wanted to get an Archer before settler. Settler be done soon too.

After AH I would suggest writing because we need culture to expand NYC's borders to get Iron. Library good for that and hopefully we will have horsies too.

That makes Namliam UP.....

Here is duh save:

Cosmichail -->just played --> We are starting to see the light
NamliaM -->UP --> Maybe Pamela Anderson is amongst The Barbies
Greyfox -->on deck --> Will he see a turn without The Barbies
Eektor --> skipped --> Ok no skipping this you have to suffer like all of us
Armstrong --> --> Boy did he get practice as The Barb Slayer

I played 15 turns because 10 was done in like 15 minutes......... so I think we should play 15 for this round.

You know what's ridiculous? NYC is unhealthy... at size 2. :rolleyes: A road to our corn (and NYC or sailing) would fix that for a moment at least.

What's awful is that we didn't settle NYC SW of it's current spot... we didn't know there were clams there, but we should have... so hard to scout when you have to kill 1-2 barbs a turn. :sad:

I think you made the right call going Red instead of Blue :)coughs: as an American, I never thought I'd say that since 2000)... do you think we have a shot at the Great Lighthouse? I do. And it's the most powerful wonder, overall, assuming we can make contact via that work boat. All of our cities save Washington will be coastal, and that's a lot of commerce if we can get some foreign trade routes.

Speaking of which, why don't we :whipped: the WB? By the time NYC would be unhappy they'd've fogedabou'it.

If we find horses, we can promote chariots to Flank 1 -> Sentry. Those make the best fog burners.

We've now killed 57 barbs. :eek:

If any of y'all wonder why I'm up at this ungodly hour... le tour called me from sleep :)

Cosmichail said:
Barbs slowing down or regrouping for another assault
It is probably city popping time... thus barbs fortifying in cities to defend them in stead of charging at us...
Cosmichail said:
That makes Namliam UP.....

Here is duh save:
:lol: Got it...

armstrong said:
What's awful is that we didn't settle NYC SW of it's current spot... we didn't know there were clams there, but we should have... so hard to scout when you have to kill 1-2 barbs a turn. :sad:

It reminds me of VQ06a, where we didn't realise we had that copper resource on our doorstep until the capital's borders actually expanded and revealed it...

Just goes to show the value of good scouting. I hope we don't get any more "luck" like this :sad:

As a financial civ, I'd say Great Lighthouse is definitely a priority!

Scowler said:
As a financial civ, I'd say Great Lighthouse is definitely a priority!
What is the connection between Financial and Great lighthouse?
The lighthouse gives more Traderoutes.... I can see synergy with Colossus for we will be working water tiles a lot for the extra (financial) coin anyway... So the colossus would be a boon for yet another coin... but the Lighthouse??? :confused:

Anyhow I whipped the WB
Killed a Barb Archer
Lost a Warrior (10XP one)
Lost another warrior to an archer
Found some horses, 2 sources non the less... cannot we trade one of them for Bronze? :lol:

Killed some more warriors
Find an AI, Gandhi and a verry nice city ... the red circel

Setup some Fogbusters (warriors mostly), Our north, west and south are now covered....

I would probably settle the purple city in favour of the red one cause it captures both sea resources but it has some overlap with NY...
My target for the settler would be North on the teal spot which I moved from the previous map cause now it gets more 3coin coast this way and we can fit in another city between the Teal and Gray city to take advantage of the land present...
The Red/Purple city really is a priority in my book, cause of all the coast there and the nice food situation... but we need sailing for that and 2 workboats....

550 is a good year to stop because:
1) I did 14 turns to even out
2) We finally :sad: finished the settler cause I needed another archer ASAP
3) We need to know where to send the Settler...
4) We have 9 turns left on Writing NY has 10 IIRC on the warrior
5) I got OB with Gandhi, but we need sailing (or Gandhi needs it) to benifit from it really....
6) The barbs settled a new town for us :)
7) It is 11 pm and my wife want me to join her for some well deserved rest...

Our current knowledge of the land and the way I would fill it....
The save

namliaM said:
What is the connection between Financial and Great lighthouse?
The lighthouse gives more Traderoutes.... I can see synergy with Colossus for we will be working water tiles a lot for the extra (financial) coin anyway... So the colossus would be a boon for yet another coin... but the Lighthouse???

You're right, of course. For some reason I had the two transposed in my mind. :crazyeye:

NamliaM -->just played --> Maybe Pamela Anderson is amongst The Barbies
Greyfox -->UP --> Will he see a turn without The Barbies
Eektor --> on deck --> Ok no skipping this you have to suffer like all of us
Armstrong --> --> Boy did he get practice as The Barb Slayer

Fantastic work with the fogbusters. :goodjob:

As we learned in VQ06, war is good. We have ivory... if we get Math -> Construction (needed for Calendar & eventually Optics too) we can organize a force of Elephants & Cats that shouldn't be obsolete until Gandhi gets Rifles.

But first, some more land to settle :)

Great job, guys. We have successfully push the fog out ... I think w eneed to head straight for TGL if its not too late. That is the only hope we have to win a Space race against Emperor AIs.

For a moment there, I was thinking: WTF??? I remember we were alone and how come I see a mongolian culture border in the screenshot? :lol:

Got It. All I have to do is to settle us some land, eh?

--

Its GreyFox's turn to be on mission control again. Things are looking good: we have fog busters, we have a second city, and we have a settler ready for settlng a yet third city.

However, after a closer inspection, the grumpy fox do have 3 gripes:

#1: if we know that NYC is unhealthy even at size 2, why didn't we road the corn?

#2: WTF is the warrior from NYC doing with go-to order to an existing warrior fog-buster? Useless, it has busted the fog, no barbs will appear there, one fog-buster is enough.

#3: what is NYC doing building yet another warrior? Archers, gentleman. However, since 5 hammers has already been invested, I let it continue.

Generally a quiet turnset, killed 2 barbs, both of which suicided into our archers.

Boston is founded:

I started a workboat there to fish.

Met HC, he is north of Gandhi, the founder of Hinduism, and had a higher score.

I immediately aranged a OB with him.

Wiring is in:

I started Masonry in anticipation of connecting the marble (as well as stone in the barb city). Washington is working on another settler for the north eastern city.

Couple of notes before I hand over the Mission Control:

- Suggest building chariots once pasture is built. Take out the barb city with 3 chariots and archers support for clean up.

- NYC need a cultural pop to connect iron. Tempting as it seems to go for Mysticism for Obelisk, I would suggest not going that route. nstead, a library would achieve the same effect and serve us better with the commerce multiplier.

- Strongly recommend going for Literature to build the TGL. For this reason, we need to connect the marble.

- Thereafter, consider going the sailing route.

Here is the Mission profile for the next controller. Good Luck.

-

Greyfox,

Yep about the warrior I agree we should only be building Archers. Same goes for the health in NYC but during my turn the damn barbs kept coming at the corn and I didn't want to risk the worker.

NamliaM -->just played --> No Pam but Ghandi was there
Greyfox -->just played --> Found another civ so we are getting to know people now.
Eektor --> UP --> you lucky get to miss the enslaught of the Barbies
Armstrong -->on deck -->Which GL will he go for GL or GL or maybe both
Scowler --> --> 21 Barbs dead and still more coming

GreyFox said:
#1: if we know that NYC is unhealthy even at size 2, why didn't we road the corn?
I gave Priority to putting a pasture on the Sheep, they give health to and a nice food boon to NY. All that is needed is a road...

GreyFox said:
#2: WTF is the warrior from NYC doing with go-to order to an existing warrior fog-buster? Useless, it has busted the fog, no barbs will appear there, one fog-buster is enough.
IIRC that was a warrior on a goto to replace an Archer?? Or it was a warrior to releave a warrior who would releave the archer on the south hill... I forget...

GreyFox said:
#3: what is NYC doing building yet another warrior? Archers, gentleman. However, since 5 hammers has already been invested, I let it continue.
1) They make good "token" defenders to keep population happy
2) They make nice, cheap fogbusters
3) The build times nicely with the research of Writing so NY can start a Lib.

We really have some conflicting intrests here....
The playing level compels us to get warring ASAP...
With Ivory we have a nice "edge" over our AI friends, but we need to play that card not to late anyway.... So construction has a high priority

The great lib would be nice but is a detour... Alphabet we need anyway but I think we are allready out of the trading game at the moment.

Dont even get me started on the Colossus, talk about detouring from construction. Tho with financial its a big boon...

Oh and we need CoL somewhere too... IIRC in my turnset both the Oracle and Confusianism were passed....

We are allready at 60% and making NO money... we have near no Lux... if we want to expand anything past 4 cities.... we need CoL...

no, you just need to build some cottages. You couldn't before thanks to the barbs, but now you can and you'll escape the economic problem in no time.

Cottages are good and fine... But our cities cannot outgrow size 4 at the moment... That means we can work 3 cottages? which will take atleast 10 turns to come into their own... (earn us 3 coin?) which we get for free on water too...

I still think a peaceful route to winning emperor is viable. The reason why I advocate the Great Library over the Colossus is because we have marble and don't have copper.

You have a point to ivory and elephants for rushing, but I disagree TGL is a detour. The +12 beakers will learn you construction in half the time. Don't underestimate the TGL, its more powerful than the Oracle CS slingshot over time.

Top Bottom