Wainy's (Cultural!) Deity LP - Persia

Ras are only useful if they wont be brokken ...

I think starting them at around turn 80-90 or so - well at least when u r sure to have at least PT up at end is soon enough.

At least I wait till connections are a bit "established" - If there are only psoycho civs on your planet ....

But that really depends on playstyles I think

If you make 2 risky RAs and only one comes through, that's still valuable (with PT and rationalism, at least). Holding on to city states is rather difficult in a deity game anyways.

Love the videos wainy...

You could have known that the land to your south-west was part of your continent because Bucharest asked for a road early on. It does appear to be a very odd-shaped continent though!

You could have known that the land to your south-west was part of your continent because Bucharest asked for a road early on. It does appear to be a very odd-shaped continent though!

Yes, it certainly does! The funny thing is, I even remarked on how silly it was that they were giving me a mission to build a road to them when they were on a different continent! I just assumed it was a bug.

Thanks for the vids, which I've just finished watching.

I was surprised you were surprised that Bismarck ran off with the game like that. He seems to do it all the time for me: he's both horribly expansive and horribly aggressive. I won my first cultural victory not long ago (on immortal) and Germany and Arabia wiped out all the other civs between them. They each controlled about half the board, and I had 3 cities on the western edge of the Arabian empire. Fortunately Harun stayed friendly for the whole game, and I kept bribing him to attack Bismarck. Bismarck also seemed to aiming for all victory conditions at once: he built Manhatten, he built bit of spaceship and he built the UN. I was terrified that he would just nuke my cities and prevent me from building Utopia.

One thing I took from your video is that cultural CSs are very strong in the early game. They seem to tail off badly by the time you start getting the multiplicative cultural bonuses though (although it probably didn't help that you stayed in the Renaissance for so long). But the CS culture really propelled you through piety pretty fast.

I think we've probably already agreed on this forum that you needed more tech: those final policies are so expensive that you need those late game wonders (and broadcast towers, I would suggest - a broadcast tower in your capital would have been a huge cpt gain).

I also think you may have been underestimating the time to build Utopia. 10 turns? It costs 1500 hammers, and that didn't look like a 150 production city to me.

Kudos for posting a non-win, since it tends to make a better debate and analyzation of the caveats.

One thing I took from your video is that cultural CSs are very strong in the early game. They seem to tail off badly by the time you start getting the multiplicative cultural bonuses though (although it probably didn't help that you stayed in the Renaissance for so long). But the CS culture really propelled you through piety pretty fast.

It did, but on the other hand, the limiting factor is the total culture you get. I thought early culture mattered a lot more than late culture, but really it's the last policy times that are the limiting factor, not how cast you get through the first ones. Next time, I'll probably spend the money on defence (or offence).

Kudos for posting a non-win, since it tends to make a better debate and analyzation of the caveats.

Oh, for sure. I'm still shocked at how many people have read and posted in this thread.

Obvoiusly I spend all my waking hours trying to find references to myself :)dubious:). Anyway, this is hilarious. http://www.sexartandpolitics.com/post/12464421841/if-youre-curious-about-how-research-agreements.
"If you’re curious about how research agreements work in Civ V, this is the rambling computer nerd for you." it says, with a link to Persia 7.

being able to laugh at yourself is a wonderful thing. :goodjob:
Research agreements are really easy to abuse. Just throw in the Porcelain Tower and Rationalism and you get a 100% bang for your buck.

And being labled a nerd can get you into some high positions :)

It is totally confusing to me how you survived with such a small army when I just got womped with a much larger one!

I was actually searching out these threads to figure out how large an army people have around the 0AD period on deity. This one was surprisingly small.

The only thing I can see that you saved you was allied city states acting as bait. I do that late game, but looks like I should do that much earlier on deity.

According to the facebook page he set up it will likely be an American stealth bomber rush. I'm hoping anyways.

Rush, yeah :lol:

Take Logistics over Air-Repair, you'll get to next level sooner
(killing workers/embarked if on extra low health)

Rush, yeah :lol:

Take Logistics over Air-Repair, you'll get to next level sooner
(killing workers/embarked if on extra low health)

This is probably true, because of the bracketed part, though I'll have to test whether the delay until air repair (during which time you only get 3-4 shots on actual units before you're at low health) is sufficiently short that your warmongering isn't compromised. Still, I like it! ;)

Oh wait, since Christmas symbolism is already in full swing for smileys, where's the Jesus face?
:jesus:
Ahh, there it is.

It all depends which kind of units you are fighting; the 'until air repair' fight should be supported by Artillery and Infantry (as you will probably have those there).

After air repair there are only tanks, try to get two 'horseman' with March during the course of the game

In my view, turtling until Bombers requires Autocracy +3 Courthouse as you'll not be able to keep up above -10
(time Bombers for -33% purchasing policy the next one will come just in time)

It all depends which kind of units you are fighting; the 'until air repair' fight should be supported by Artillery and Infantry (as you will probably have those there).

After air repair there are only tanks, try to get two 'horseman' with March during the course of the game

In my view, turtling until Bombers requires Autocracy +3 Courthouse as you'll not be able to keep up above -10
(time Bombers for -33% purchasing policy the next one will come just in time)

Probably the best strategy is to stay small and build up an army of 4-6 mounted units to upgrade to tanks. Get aluminum and use the stealth bombers to do all the heavy lifting, while the tanks advance quickly and take cities. In this situation you really want your stealth bombers to be operational from the get-go, so air repair is better.

Also you don't need the courthouse happiness so much if you sell cities with no aluminum or uranium to other AIs, which you should be doing anyways to bankroll further stealth bomber purchases. But autocracy is worth getting even for the cheaper purchase cost, with the extra happiness in annexed cities you do keep being a worthwhile bonus.

Probably the best strategy is to stay small and build up an army of 4-6 mounted units to upgrade to tanks. Get aluminum and use the stealth bombers to do all the heavy lifting, while the tanks advance quickly and take cities. In this situation you really want your stealth bombers to be operational from the get-go, so air repair is better.

It turned out for me that you need only one (two) tanks as they can take out a city with 1hp and you can't get more than 2 cities each and every turn, all the rest is taken care with bombers...

Only problem was with having NO oil and NO aluminium one game and I had to get it the hard way (but you'll be are aware of this on time so you can build up)

Also you don't need the courthouse happiness so much if you sell cities with no aluminum or uranium to other AIs, which you should be doing anyways to bankroll further stealth bomber purchases. But autocracy is worth getting even for the cheaper purchase cost, with the extra happiness in annexed cities you do keep being a worthwhile bonus.

I kinda 'must keep all conquered cities' or I feel somehow underachieving ;)

It turned out for me that you need only one (two) tanks as they can take out a city with 1hp and you can't get more than 2 cities each and every turn, all the rest is taken care with bombers...

I suppose, although this is pushing it. You might lose one, or actually want to finish a nearly-dead unit with one.

I suppose, although this is pushing it. You might lose one, or actually want to finish a nearly-dead unit with one.

Sure, it would suck to lose a highly promoted one, but as you need only 1hp Tanks you can make more of those anyhow :)

(getting them on front is a bit of hassle, so keep a few ready)

Top Bottom