Wainy's (Cultural!) Deity LP - Persia

w a i n y

Let's Play Deity!
Time to mix things up a bit and go for a cultural victory! We're playing Persia on pangaea for long golden ages and constant defensive warfare (hmm...). Due to the controversy around deity LPs, I'd like to try something new and show you all of my attempts, including those with suboptimal start conditions and epic fails. Not that you'd know it from the start I got :lol:

youtu.be/DR701rBztoA

Oh, and be sure to subscribe if you like the vids!

Thanks. Enjoyed the first vid. Keep'em coming!

Upload upload upload! :)

I'm sure you'll get some comments about the better than average start, but after watching your first video I don't think it will be a cakewalk. You are lucky in that you are somewhat isolated, but unlucky in that Siam is going to compete with you for CS alliances. And apparently another civ may be strong competition for the wonders that you need (the Oracle went pretty early). Should be fun to watch whatever may happen. Good luck!

Time to mix things up a bit and go for a cultural victory! We're playing Persia on pangaea for long golden ages and constant defensive warfare (hmm...). Due to the controversy around deity LPs, I'd like to try something new and show you all of my attempts, including those with suboptimal start conditions and epic fails. Not that you'd know it from the start I got :lol:

youtu.be/DR701rBztoA

Oh, and be sure to subscribe if you like the vids!

:goodjob:

Edit: now after watching, agree with redrover57 there, will be interesting, bon voyage :)

this looks pretty interesting

i might have been tempted to found my second city north along the coast on the desert tile just north of the deer (two stone, two gold, two fist, incense) but i think that's probably a huge mistake. i just hate having to compete for tiles w/ city-states and other civs.

Does the Oracle usually go that early? You didn't even have Philosophy researched by the time it was built and you only strayed from a straight beeline with Mining and Calendar. I guess your only hope to get it, at least this game, would have been to skip Calendar and Stonehenge.

Does the Oracle usually go that early? You didn't even have Philosophy researched by the time it was built and you only strayed from a straight beeline with Mining and Calendar. I guess your only hope to get it, at least this game, would have been to skip Calendar and Stonehenge.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I wouldn't say it's out of the ordinary for it to go this early, though.

Just watched #2, please don't reload?

[edit] argument: you made a conscious decision to not pay kuala lumpur, stick with it. It would be helpfull for me to learn how you deal with that choice, given the outcome. Give me (us) the chance to learn how to recover from a mistake.[/edit]

My vote is to not reload. You took your chances having your archers way down there plus not buying back that CS ally much earlier when it was pretty likely to be bought from under you by one of your enemies. So you should live with the consequences.

I checked your first part. I have 2 questions :

1-Why you didn't check if the 2 city states south of you around turn 20 if they were protected by a civ? If not, why not steal a worker from the military cs? You had a great opportunity. Or did i miss something?

2-Your settler was wandering for almost 7-8 turns close to the barb camp. You wasn't afraid to see a barb pop up in the woods and stole your settler on the same turn?

The granary and 4 pop set up prod. is the good thing to do here. Let's hope for Siam to not see him fly away too fast, he seems to have a good land. Fortunately, the right side is clear of civs.

2-Your settler was wandering for almost 7-8 turns close to the barb camp. You wasn't afraid to see a barb pop up in the woods and stole your settler on the same turn?

I was wondering the same too. even though theres no threat of a barb popping out of the woods since they can't move 2 woods tiles, but he was still 2 tiles away from the camp.
I guess because he had that warrior next to him...?

I haven't seen video 2 yet because i'm stuck at work - :( - but I can tell you're going to have a hard time getting the W in this one.

Are you positive going Stagnant for Stonehenge was the right play? I kinda cringed watching that. Stonehenge, although it gives a nice culture boost, isn't really a culture VC wonder... it helps with finishing your initial policy tree and getting a GE, but seems to conflict with culture wins by bumping too many pre-piety policies and interfering with the Oracle path. I find Stonehenge great in a Steel domination game

Do you think going tall and beelining Philo would have given you an Oracle chance?

It's hard to see but there's a river between the camp and the tile with cows, so the barb couldn't reach the settler.

It's hard to see but there's a river between the camp and the tile with cows, so the barb couldn't reach the settler.

I know that, but another barb can spawn in the forest and take the settler.

I don't think barbs can move on the turn they spawn.

Aha! They do in multiplayer - but I don't think so in singleplayer. Tabarnak is seeing this through the MP perspective. That is my perspective now also, playing experienced humans at Civ is so, so, so much better than played a moronic AI IMHO. But singleplayer is useful also, the people here figure out all kinds of game mechanics and ideas that I can incorporate into my live games.

Are you positive going Stagnant for Stonehenge was the right play? I kinda cringed watching that. Stonehenge, although it gives a nice culture boost, isn't really a culture VC wonder... it helps with finishing your initial policy tree and getting a GE, but seems to conflict with culture wins by bumping too many pre-piety policies and interfering with the Oracle path. I find Stonehenge great in a Steel domination game

Do you think going tall and beelining Philo would have given you an Oracle chance?

Actually not. I think the Oracle went on turn 45, it would have taken 15 turns to build at the very least (even with aristocracy) and I couldn't really have got to philo by turn 30. Stonehenge tends to go more consistently later, while the Oracle is inconsistent (I think?), so at least this way I was likely to not miss out on both wonders. Obviously the Oracle is a MUCH better wonder, though.

I checked your first part. I have 2 questions :

1-Why you didn't check if the 2 city states south of you around turn 20 if they were protected by a civ? If not, why not steal a worker from the military cs? You had a great opportunity. Or did i miss something?

I find worker stealing slightly cheezy, mainly. I could certainly have derived some benefit from this, though.

Top Bottom