War Weariness in Always War

SittinDown

King
Always War games (like the Rome BOTM going on right now) [No spoilers posted here, this is a generic question].

On the good side war weariness in AW is set to build up so slowly, it is unlikely to become an issue, despite much more battles

But looking at the code it looks like war weariness is guarded by a function that treats war weariness just like as if you were at peace.

....with a small section that still allows it if you share culture in the city.

I didn't get a chance to play test that yet.

Does that sound right?

As far as my (admittedly very limited) experience goes War Weariness in Always War is completely disabled, at least on your end.

If you lose units, you will also encounter war weariness. But it seems to be less. In my games (EMP and IMM level), I had up to -3 when one opponent had built the SoZ and my fights were not so lucky (or well deserved losses). In a "normal" game, you can easily get -8 or -10 IIRC.

Another thing to consider is a shared religion which will bring you -2 in respective cities. Better to found an own religion, or just having a good happy cap. Because Theocracy is a great civic here and Free Religion is no match for anything.

Last edited:
War weariness is an absolute pain when you get later on in game. Hopefully you find enough happy resources and use civics to try and counter some of it. Also wiping out some Ai will help. As counter will vanish. Losing units will really hurt if your sacrificing lots to take cities.

That's why CHA leaders are so incredibly great for AW (plus easier promotions & more benefit from settled GGs). Another strategy consists in building lots of cheap archers and running HR. Archers can be shifted around for defensive missions.

Top Bottom