[WARLORDS] Great Person Mod with more names

Amra

the Lion
GreatPersonModwithRenamerMod v1.0 by Patricius (Warlords version)
Includes NoNameRenamerMod by TheLopez
Artwork updated for Warlords by Amra

[EDIT] Please see this forum thread for a much improved version by Gaurav which includes all of my additional art. BIG thank you to Gaurav for picking this mod up & improving upon it. :goodjob:

As many of you may know, Patricius is not on this forum anymore. While he was here, he created one of my favorite mods for Civ4, the GreatPerson Mod. I like it so much that I have created approximately 135 new Great People with images & quotes for my Modpack.

Now that Warlords has come out, I did not want this terrific mod to just fade away so I have uploaded Patricius' mod with my created images and Great General images for use with Civ4 Warlords. Also, please note that I am in no way trying to take credit for this mod, just trying to keep it alive. :D

Enjoy... Amra

Here is a link to the original mod: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=153506

What this Mod does:
Whenever a great person, such as a great artist or prophet is born in any of YOUR cities, a window will popup, showing you a picture and a quote from the great person. Also, when all unique names are used up, a civ-specific random name will be used with a generic picture. The Warlords version of this mod adds 135 new Great People with images & quotes as well as Great General images.

DOWNLOADs
02/11/07 - Download removed. Visit HERE for a newer version

Install Instructions:
Unzip the contents into <Game Directory>\Warlords\MODS
Run GreatPersonArtPath.bat file by clicking on it. (VERY IMPORTANT TO DO)

Running the Mod
1. Start Civilization IV Warlords
2. From the menu, go to advanced, then click on Load a Mod
3. Load Great Person Mod for Warlords
4. Civilization IV will restart
5. Start a game as usual

Note that everytime you want to play your game, Civilization IV will have to restart and load the mod. If you want this mod to load automatically every time you play Warlords then edit the "CivilizationIV.ini" file in your "\My Documents\My Games\Warlords" directory. Search for "Mod = 0" and change it to "Mod = Mods\Great Person Mod for Warlords".

The uncompressed file size of this Mod is roughly 104mb.

Notes regarding Warlords version from Amra
The additional 135 Great People that I have included are names and images that I use in my (Amra's) Modpack. As such, a select few of the new names may not be as well known and were included because they are a favorite writer, artist, etc of mine. If you don't want someone included in your personal game, then edit the CIV4UnitInfos.xml file with notepad to remove any of the new Great People you do not want.

I have included a template image in the Art\GreatPeople directory in case anyone wants to add their own Great People.

Credits:
Snoopy, for starting this mod
RobO for helping smooth out code of CustomEventManger
TheLopez for renamer mod
Scottcstoness for his work on fixing pinkscreen problem
Much thanks to Tableist and Alerum68 for helping find quotes
Rabbit, White for various Great General images
TheLopez for updating the GPEventManager for my modpack (used here)

Attachments

• Amra_GP_Artist.jpg
    Amra_GP_Artist.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 624
  • Amra_GP_Engineer.jpg
    Amra_GP_Engineer.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 515
  • Amra_GP_General.jpg
    Amra_GP_General.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 534
  • Amra_GP_Prophet.jpg
    Amra_GP_Prophet.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 487
  • Amra_GP_Scientist.jpg
    Amra_GP_Scientist.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 599
Reserved for future use.

Amra said:
GreatPersonModwithRenamerMod v1.0 by Patricius (Warlords version)

Notes regarding Warlords version from Amra
The additional 135 Great People that I have included are names and images that I use in my (Amra's) Modpack. As such, a select few of the new names may not be as well known and were included because they are a favorite writer, artist, etc of mine. If you don't want someone included in your personal game, then edit the CIV4UnitInfos.xml file with notepad to remove any of the new Great People you do not want.
[\quote]

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Amra, but if people don't want *any* of your new great folks (e.g. would like a Mod with the pop-ups, the pictures, the generals, that works in warlords, but with no other changes from the main game), they can just copy the original CIV4UnitInfos.xml file into the MOD directory, and they'll get all the original names back (I mean the warlords one, not the vanilla civ one, of course).

The only downside is that you'd have a lot of extra images on your harddrive.

In fact, if would be pretty easy to have CIV4UnitInfosOriginal.txt and CIV4UnitInfosAmra.txt sitting in the appropriate directory, with two .bat files at the top level that copy the correct one of these files into the CIV4UnitInfos.xml location; you think there'd be enough desire for that kind of flexibility to make that change? Then you could switch back and forth between Amra's list of extra names and the ones that ship with warlords...

Sorry; clearly my first post here should have thanked Amra for updating this to Warlords, adding all the extra great people, and slotting in the GG images. Great work, and thanks!

This is also one of my favourite mods, and getting it working properly when a great person name came up that didn't have a picture was a problem that intrigued me enough to delve into the python. Did I catch in the original, non-warlords thread that this behaviour is no longer working under Warlords? I'd be happy to download the mod and see if I can figure out why not if that is true...

scottcstoness said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, Amra, but if people don't want *any* of your new great folks (e.g. would like a Mod with the pop-ups, the pictures, the generals, that works in warlords, but with no other changes from the main game), they can just copy the original CIV4UnitInfos.xml file into the MOD directory, and they'll get all the original names back (I mean the warlords one, not the vanilla civ one, of course).

The only downside is that you'd have a lot of extra images on your harddrive.

Actually, if someone only wants the original (retail) great people lists then just delete the CIV4UnitInfos.xml file from the mod. That will remove all the extra names. I can't do anything about the extra images on the hard drive, however.

scottcstoness said:
Sorry; clearly my first post here should have thanked Amra for updating this to Warlords, adding all the extra great people, and slotting in the GG images. Great work, and thanks!

This is also one of my favourite mods, and getting it working properly when a great person name came up that didn't have a picture was a problem that intrigued me enough to delve into the python. Did I catch in the original, non-warlords thread that this behaviour is no longer working under Warlords? I'd be happy to download the mod and see if I can figure out why not if that is true...
No offense taken, it was a good question.

Regarding no picture popups - I haven't actually encountered that yet what with all the extra names & images that I added. One of the benefits, I guess.

Also, in Warlords vs Vanilla, I have noticed that the Great People are now random versus going in order for Vanilla gameplay. More variety is good, I think.

Could you please relate what's been done to Civ4UnitInfos.XML? I'd like to run this mod together with the 'Culturally Diverse Units' mod, and will need to do some doctoring.

Also, what exactly does the .bat file do? I opened it up to have a look, but was left none the wiser.

Thanks.

Having a hell of a time getting this to merge, I think due to multiple versions of DEJ's Event Manager and INI reader that there is some major difference between the one I have used and the one you have used. Although it could be something else...

I am not sure at all, great person born and nothing happens. Which is odd.
Nothing odd in the error logs, although I dont think I even saw the Greatpersons.py file load.....

Not *****ing at you Amra, other mods seem to have a similar problem, I just discovered that a base install of Teg's Unit Stats will not allow any renaming to work Python is an unwieldy beast!

I could be wrong about my theory of multiple versions of DEJ causing the problem. The messed up part is if I pull out the version of the event manager I'm using and say this one, Something else will break, In one of my mods the python is light but in the composite theres a lot of mods loading crap. Oh well the nature of the beast... Debug till you die! Naaaa just the nature of doing a large composite mod.

Willowmound said:
Could you please relate what's been done to Civ4UnitInfos.XML? I'd like to run this mod together with the 'Culturally Diverse Units' mod, and will need to do some doctoring.

Also, what exactly does the .bat file do? I opened it up to have a look, but was left none the wiser.

Thanks.

Unless Amra has changed things, the .bat file creates a python file down in a subdirectory that contains the absolute path to the mod installation; that way python code can look to see if certain files exists (e.g. the picture files), load them if they do, and default to a generic if they don't. Thus, if you add the names of your own great people (Say, Willowmound as a great scientist), even if you don't create pictures for them, it should load the file Great Scientist.dds when it can't find the Willowmound.dds file...

All the .bat file does is echo a directory to a file using redirection

text > filename

Will write the text into the file name is dos batch.

Willowmound said:

Thanks.
scottcstoness & ket answered the question about the .bat file and just an FYI to anyone about the python coding, the only python that was changed was the EventManager file. Even then it was only changed slightly by TheLopez (as per my request) to make it work with Dr Elmer Jiggle's EventManager. I don't know python so I haven't & won't be changing any of the python coding. I'll leave that to the experts. :crazyeye:

As far as the Civ4UnitInfos.XML file, I only added the new Great People names into that file. If you edit it with notepad and search for "Prophet", that will take you to the beginning of any changes I made. Scroll down the UniqueNames section and you will notice the new names for Prophets. Keep scrolling down for the other Great People classes to see all the other new names (yes, there are about a half dozen easter eggs in there :D). To merge this with any other mod, just copy & paste the new names into the appropriate section of the new mod.

@ket
I have Teg's UnitStats mod and this mod working together in my Warlords modpack. I'm not really sure what I may have done differently to get it to work though. Other than only using one copy of the RandomNameUtils.py file in my modpack.

If you've downloaded my modpack, then maybe looking at the DEJ I am using there may help. I only know enough about python to merge some mods so I'm sorry if I can't be of more help. :blush:

I finaly got Teg's working today thanks to him. It seems that the INI parser I am using does not work 100% with all the mods (I'm using DEJ's) so the problem I'm most likely having is using an older version of the parser that works with some and not with others. Now as to why nothing is working on yours that much I have no idea.... I've got it slated to look at at bit later.

Happen to know where and what tag controls each individual element in a unit?

Amra said:
scottcstoness & ket answered the question about the .bat file and just an FYI to anyone about the python coding, the only python that was changed was the EventManager file. Even then it was only changed slightly by TheLopez (as per my request) to make it work with Dr Elmer Jiggle's EventManager. I don't know python so I haven't & won't be changing any of the python coding. I'll leave that to the experts. :crazyeye:

As far as the Civ4UnitInfos.XML file, I only added the new Great People names into that file. If you edit it with notepad and search for "Prophet", that will take you to the beginning of any changes I made. Scroll down the UniqueNames section and you will notice the new names for Prophets. Keep scrolling down for the other Great People classes to see all the other new names (yes, there are about a half dozen easter eggs in there :D). To merge this with any other mod, just copy & paste the new names into the appropriate section of the new mod.

Thanks for that, and thanks also to scottcstoness and Ket!

Great News I finally got it working!!!

I had to use the version of the event manager that came with Teg's in order to get both Teg's and this to co-exist peacefully!

But it works... Another tick mark closer to 1.0 release of the mod!

Something funny happened on the way to Great Persons Mod......

So I have this tech that grants a free ICBM to the first player that gets to it.

Ok cool, tech to it... ICBM builds and POP! Great Person ICBM-1 WAS BORN!

I'm almost tempted to learn DDS files and make a pic of a mushroom cloud with Oppenheimer's quote from the bhagvagita

Hi Guys, I just wanted to let you know im back. I really was very appy to see that Amra updated this mod for warlords. I appreciate that very much. Since I have lost all semblence of the knowledge i once knew about Civ4 modding I will let you take care of it if you ever want to update and please add your name to the authorship; I myself took up the concept of this mod from Snoopy when he left the frumn. Andway good to be back adn I look foward to getting into this forumn a little bit again.:)

Sincerely,
Patricius

Patricius said:
Hi Guys, I just wanted to let you know im back. I really was very appy to see that Amra updated this mod for warlords. I appreciate that very much. Since I have lost all semblence of the knowledge i once knew about Civ4 modding I will let you take care of it if you ever want to update and please add your name to the authorship; I myself took up the concept of this mod from Snoopy when he left the frumn. Andway good to be back adn I look foward to getting into this forumn a little bit again.:)

Sincerely,
Patricius
Hey Patricius! We all are very happy to see you back. I don't know if there is too much more that I will be doing to this mod so If you want it back, just say so. You did such a terrific job on it previously. All I really did was add more names, quotes & artwork.

Houston there is a problem.

Amra this will effect your mod as well as I checked it.
I have noticed also that python exceptions seem to create bad data so it might be causing other issues as well.

Here is the problem.
TheLopez's Rename Scrpt.
RandomNameUtils.py was written for the original Civ 4 and not updated.
So python will throw an event exception every time it needs to rename someone from another Civ that is not in Original Civ 4. Which means all the Civ Gold Civ's all the Warlords Civ's Ect Ect.

This will effect ANY version of this mod.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvEventInterface", line 25, in onEvent

File "CvCustomEventManager", line 88, in handleEvent

File "CvCustomEventManager", line 99, in _handleDefaultEvent

File "CvGreatPersonModEventManager", line 53, in onGreatPersonBorn

File "RandomNameUtils", line 151, in getRandomCivilizationName

File "RandomNameUtils", line 174, in generateCivilizationName

KeyError: 'CIVILIZATION_OTTOMAN'

Top Bottom