I'm having trouble on lower difficulties. The early game is very hard for me because they get so many bonuses and have a completely insane settling speed, while little old me is low on happiness and they forward settle me like crazy! No joke, I've never seen that in civ before only with VP.

I play on standard because quick is impossible for me. Cities I get to capture are complete horsehocky, they have like no buildings in there and so few tiles that citizens die off! While the AI can trow down 3 farms and sustain a massive city. These bastards! ( :) )

2ndly, I want to make friends but I seem to never be able to unless I have the #1 military in the world and half the planet are vassels, my vassels. I rarely get defensive pacts, usually with neighbors who border me and then backstab me! Oh by the way, who ever borders my border will declare war against me at some point that is so garaneed like the Amen in the prayer. So I'm the one without research agreements and while they have def pacts all over, I'm the one without so of cause they go for me, together.

Had to let some steam off bros, man, I don't know how my games are so different haha. These things make my games not an all to pleasent experience for me.

I'll definitly try the early war path with authority next but I'm still looking for help and maybe tips to the different points I made so let me know how to mix things up ; )

PS: I really just want to get better, thanks

Last edited:
Yep. If you hover over the supply amount and read all of the areas that war weariness effects, it says that “production and gold costs for military units increased by X amount due to war weariness” (or something along those lines) at the bottom. I’m not near the game now to grab a screenshot though.

EDIT: I also think that forcing people to make peace by inhibiting all aspects of their economy is one way to approach it, but that might lead to more stagnant games and overall a more peaceful atmosphere. I think simply making warring HARDER (debuffs for attackers or more buffs for defenders) is preferred to making warring unfeasbile to continue doing after only a few war events.

I believe war weariness raises the production costs of units; not the production of units.

I believe war weariness raises the production costs of units; not the production of units.

I think you’re agreeing with me? But I’m not sure based on the wording. The second part is confusing (either way, see the screenshot below).

Are you sure WW increases military production and gold cost? I swear I find out more about this mod everyday.

I made this point earlier that you have to make sure defenders don’t take too much hit from WW, and G is looking at models that he thinks will so that.

Otherwise I don’t mind the hit thst WW does, it needs to be potent to do its job, which is to get people to make peace.

Got back in game. Sorry for the low quality picture from the phone, but here you can see my WW effects with a quick test in current game. 21% increase in production costs for units. I’m not sure why WW is already at 21% (and -14 happiness) though I did go on the offensive (China was taking too long to DOW and I wanted the screenshot).

War stats: I pillaged 15 tiles, 2 railroads, killed about 17 units, lost none, took some unit damage then healed up (no city damage), and took one of their cities. He pillaged 3 tiles with suicide paratroopers.

It took 5 turns to get back to 0% WW after declaring peace. At 21% WW, a landship would have taken 5 turns or 2070 gold to produce/purchase. At 0, it would take 2 turns or 1500 gold (city has 372 Production).

Attachments

• EBBECD35-C565-4E5E-B059-E5FF3CBEDF3B.jpeg
    EBBECD35-C565-4E5E-B059-E5FF3CBEDF3B.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 182
I'm having trouble on lower difficulties. The early game is very hard for me because they get so many bonuses and have a completely insane settling speed, while little old me is low on happiness and they forward settle me like crazy! No joke, I've never seen that in civ before only with VP.

I play on standard because quick is impossible for me. Cities I get to capture are complete ****, they have like no buildings in there and so few tiles that citizens die off! While the AI can trow down 3 farms and sustain a massive city. These bastards! ( :) )

2ndly, I want to make friends but I seem to never be able to unless I have the #1 military in the world and half the planet are vassels, my vassels. I rarely get defensive pacts, usually with neighbors who border me and then backstab me! Oh by the way, who ever borders my border will declare war against me at some point that is so garaneed like the Amen in the prayer. So I'm the one without research agreements and while they have def pacts all over, I'm the one without so of cause they go for me, together.

Had to let some steam off bros, man, I don't know how my games are so different haha. These things make my games not an all to pleasent experience for me.

I'll definitly try the early war path with authority next but I'm still looking for help and maybe tips to the different points I made so let me know how to mix things up ; )

PS: I really just want to get better, thanks
This is the problem on lower difficulties. You can produce more units than the AI, so do it. You'll need more units than the better players, since you're going to make up for your (supposed) lack of skill with more units. Try to keep your army at more than 80% of your supply. Just don't delay culture or faith.
That should feel like a completely different game.

I think you’re agreeing with me? But I’m not sure based on the wording. The second part is confusing (either way, see the screenshot below).

Apparently, I AM agreeing with you, but I thought you (or someone) was saying that War Weariness raised the production of units, which would mean that units are easier to produce, not more costly to produce as is the case.

New Guy looking for help here.

I usually play King/Emperor difficulty.

I've never been much of a warmonger and I'm trying my hand at it. Im doing pretty good strategically, I can capture lots of cities pretty easily and rarely lose units.

My problem is happiness. Once I capture a few cities, my happiness sinks and I'm unable to get it back up. I eventually end under 20 unhappiness and start losing cities.
Conquered cities add a lot of unhappiness, even with a courthouse, since they lose a good deal of buildings.

Even if I have a bunch of luxuries, nobody wants to trade because they are either at war with me or hate me because I'm a warmonger.

How do I get my happiness back up?

I've never been much of a warmonger and I'm trying my hand at it. Im doing pretty good strategically, I can capture lots of cities pretty easily and rarely lose units.

My problem is happiness. Once I capture a few cities, my happiness sinks and I'm unable to get it back up. I eventually end under 20 unhappiness and start losing cities.
Conquered cities add a lot of unhappiness, even with a courthouse, since they lose a good deal of buildings.

Even if I have a bunch of luxuries, nobody wants to trade because they are either at war with me or hate me because I'm a warmonger.

Take care of your cities' happiness.
Poverty -> Increase gold output of the city, or find a building that reduces poverty (Aqueduct...)
Crime -> Increase defense (walls, castle) or crime-reducing buildings (Barracks)
Illiteracy: Increase Science
Boredom-> Increase culture

It's all a per-capita number, so don't let your cities grow too much if you haven't improved nearby tiles. A citizen that produces 2 hammers or 1food1hammer and the likes, is a bad one, he drags down your city happiness!

Make sure to build the few happiness buildings too: Circus Maximus whenever it's available, and the likes.

When you conquer a city, don't be ashamed to send all the citizens to work on hammers and no food, so you can build things back up.

My cities are usually fine, 2-3 unhappiness/10-15 people.

But captured cities with high pop and no buildings can drop my happiness by 10-12 pts each. I'm focusing on happiness buildings, but still can't get it back up?

Am I capturing too many cities too fast? I keep hearing of people capturing a whole continent very fast, how can they do it?

AI normally have over populated cities. When i face happiness problem on conquest i just raze the cities with too much pop to appropriate size then stop. I hope it helps :D

Puppet the cities you capture if you don't have a large happiness buffer. You can annex them later if you consider it desirable. Puppet cities only produce happiness at a fraction of their size more like 3-4 than 10-12 pts.

I'm having trouble on lower difficulties. The early game is very hard for me because they get so many bonuses and have a completely insane settling speed
I'm afraid that's the way the news goes. At most difficulties (and definitely the low ones) the AI has no bonuses in this regard. You can expand like crazy too! In fact I recommend it, take a look at some of the photojournals to get an idea of what is sensible.

When I’m going on a warmongering spree, I almost never annex cities. It’ll increase your tech and policy costs for each one you annex, slowing your macro level progress. I end up still being a “tall” empire since I’ll have (usually) less than 10 non-puppet cities and up to 15+ puppets. I let the puppets build a ton of buildings in puppet status first and I’ll wait until I can get closer to my third policy tree or even ideologies, which have a ton of happiness-combating policies if needed. The main thing those puppets do is spread out my land coverage to connect luxuries and increase happiness that way, then selling extras to increase gold. Plus I’ll spam the newly conquered areas with workers to get the tiles improved before I ever consider annexing.

EDIT: Another consideration is if you’re going Imperialism, which boosts yields and production in puppets. I’ll be even more likely to leave cities as puppets if I go that route.

The happiness in my current gain is very close to dropping below 0 at any moment, so any conquests I make end up being puppets or razed. I'm only ever tempted to annex a city if it's picked up a strong infrastructure and I want to build faith buildings. In this same game, I've annexed too early and I've got a couple of low-infrastructure cities dragging my happiness down, requiring some serious production infusion.

Since warring is so good to begin with already for any civ, regardless of intended victory route, and also much more effective for a human player, shouldn't authority be made a bit harder to play/nerfed?

Since warring is so good to begin with already for any civ, regardless of intended victory route, and also much more effective for a human player, shouldn't authority be made a bit harder to play/nerfed?
Implying that it wasn't.

Dominance's Unit Heal reduced from 20 to 15.
Tribute Yields reduced by 50% until you finished the Authority Policy.
Imperium's Yields reduced from 50 to 30.
Honor now conscript units with reduced experience.
Finisher is terrible compared to Gold per Citizen birth from Progress or a nice Throne Room.

With the change in War weariness Id say warring is pretty much ballance now. Unless playing on Marathon :D

Top Bottom