Was this really necessary?

You were obviously drunk leaving a pointless reply as such.

Tom2050, since you have some difficulty understanding that previous post, let me try and explain. Beer contains alcohol, which is a depressant, and is often associated with a relaxes social setting.

Have a beer would therefore translate to requesting one to relax. Or in other words not to care so much about a statement made by one person, or several people. Yes, some people don't like America. Some people don't like me. But I'm not offended when a friend makes a joke at my cost. Which is all that statement was.

Tom2050, since you have some difficulty understanding that previous post, let me try and explain. Beer contains alcohol, which is a depressant, and is often associated with a relaxes social setting.

Have a beer would therefore translate to requesting one to relax. Or in other words not to care so much about a statement made by one person, or several people. Yes, some people don't like America. Some people don't like me. But I'm not offended when a friend makes a joke at my cost. Which is all that statement was.

The reply was still a pointless reply. My post stands... your justification fails. He is not my friend either, as he is probably not yours as well. I don't know him.

Considering how much US debt China holds I think learning chinese is a good idea.

Huānyíng bàzhǔ

BTW, even in China communism is dead. Communism is an economic system of collectivization, not to be confused with the police state civic. Obviously the district quoted above hasn't played Civ4 and therefore does not distinguish between governmental civics and economic civics.

Imagine the great leap forward of intellectual sophistication if playing Civ was a required part of the school curriculum. Suddenly it would be difficult to conflate a government system (police state, democracy) with an economic system (free market vs communism).

What a great idea! This should be international law!

There was really no point in the remark. If we are so "ignorant" about the Ottomans, then please; enlighten us instead of telling us how stupid we are.

It could have easily read...

"Many Australians know very little about the Ottoman Empire (it occupies the blind spot Australians have for pretty much everything between Greece and China)."

Or...

"Many Spaniards know very little about the Ottoman Empire (it occupies the blind spot Spaniards have for pretty much everything between Greece and China)."

I'm pretty sure that an ordinary Spaniard or Australian knows no more about the Ottoman Empire than the average American citizen.

I don't know about you, but anti-Americanism in general is getting really old to me...
That may be true, but when i lived in the US, many people asked me if Spain was in Europe or in Latin America...

That may be true, but when i lived in the US, many people asked me if Spain was in Europe or in Latin America...
Of course not, it's in Africa right next to Poland, how dare you accuse us of idiosyncrasy when you don't even know what continent Spain is on, gosh...

:sarcasm:

Wow there's a lot of crocodile tears here, and yes, I'm an American.

Want the sociological answer?

Europe has expansive mass transit systems that link the majority of nations with each other, this coupled with their extreme proximity means that European citizens will often travel for work and play to many nations other than their own. The constant flux of visitors between nations has bred a society with a much higher international awareness than say... the United States of America.

See here in the US, the majority of us live 500+ miles from a neighboring country (Canada or Mexico). Being such a large country with such diverse territory, the majority of us have no reason to regularly travel to either Canada or Mexico; or any other country for that matter. Thus we lack the international mindset of Europeans.

In short: being bombarded by many different cultures and nationalities has made Europeans more 'internationally aware' than Americans, who are separated from the rest of the world by 2 oceans and who are neighbors with relatively insignificant cultures (sorry if you take offense, but it's true).

Cultural superiority plays a part as well. When you're an American and you travel, you see vast amounts of your culture emulated in most countries. That sense of superiority makes Americans slightly ego-centric.

fyi, I've spent 10 years in Europe.

Cultural superiority plays a part as well. When you're an American and you travel, you see vast amounts of your culture emulated in most countries. That sense of superiority makes Americans slightly ego-centric.

yep, theres burger kings and mc donnalds everywhere.
:crazyeye:

We would like to warn you against our worst enemy, Steam. They eat children, devour souls, and sacrifice neighbours! .

Really? Cool. definitely getting Civ5 and Steam.
(You should meet my neighbours) :crazyeye:

How quickly can I get Steam? I need it soon.

Spoiler :
Wow there's a lot of crocodile tears here, and yes, I'm an American.

Want the sociological answer?

Europe has expansive mass transit systems that link the majority of nations with each other, this coupled with their extreme proximity means that European citizens will often travel for work and play to many nations other than their own. The constant flux of visitors between nations has bred a society with a much higher international awareness than say... the United States of America.

See here in the US, the majority of us live 500+ miles from a neighboring country (Canada or Mexico). Being such a large country with such diverse territory, the majority of us have no reason to regularly travel to either Canada or Mexico; or any other country for that matter. Thus we lack the international mindset of Europeans.

In short: being bombarded by many different cultures and nationalities has made Europeans more 'internationally aware' than Americans, who are separated from the rest of the world by 2 oceans and who are neighbors with relatively insignificant cultures (sorry if you take offense, but it's true).

fyi, I've spent 10 years in Europe.

So, sociologically speaking, the logic is:
* Unions of little countries with mass transit systems have higher international awareness.
* Big countries with diverse territory lack international mindset.

And that is the reason why Americans have a blindspot for everything between Greece and China?

I'm not sure where you dug that up at, but let's bury it again. That logic makes no sense to the statement of geographical ignorance in a place where Americans have a whole lot going on in world events.

Of course not, it's in Africa right next to Poland, how dare you accuse us of idiosyncrasy when you don't even know what continent Spain is on, gosh...

:sarcasm:

Dude, all im trying to say is that everyone should just relax and not get offended by this statement. I agree that it shouldn't have been posted on the Firaxis website but it is not a big deal. Its just a joke. After having lived 4 years in the US it is basicly my second home and i didn't get offended by the comment.
BTW, the comment that the US soldiers would be offended is...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Going back to the geography argument i have to agree that some europeans dont know jack about american geography but having wittnessed both educational systems i have to say that Europe's (at least Spain's) is much more advanced and complete. I spent 1 year learning about california's history and another for U.S's history.I completely understand that the Civil War is more important than the Gupta Dynasty but the education is kind of bad there.

I'm assuming Zack meant it sarcastically, and you (Yared) means it seriously. It gets a bit confusing now. :p

But yes, I did know that WTF stands for what the smilies (yeah...). Why else would I post such an unlogical reaction?

Top Bottom