Was this really necessary?

Your argument is morphing as well as waning.

You started with, "Hitler got his ideas from Luther". Now you're citing wikipedia (lol) and reduced to, "Nazis used Luther to propagate politically."

Next will be, "Well, someone somewhere said Luther!"

Since you love wiki, here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_panic

incorrect the point is still

1) Hitler/Nazis used Martin Luther's teachings on the treatment,
2) you then contested this saying that stuff wasn't common in 18th-19th Century Germany
3) I then responded by showing through wiki that Martin Luther was used as a tool of German Nationalism rendering your point irrelevant. The people were taught that Martin Luther=German pride so they accepted the Nazi Ideology because they used Martin Luther

4) I have no idea what your are referring to when you posted Moral Panic

From the Ottoman civ description on the Civilization V site:

"Many Americans know very little about the Ottoman Empire (it occupies the blind spot Americans have for pretty much everything between Greece and China)."

:rolleyes:

I was mildly surprised so many Americans took offense at this. My first instinct when I saw that was "Those lucky Americans... another game written totally from their POV again... *shrug*

But it has since been changed. Whatever...

I was mildly surprised so many Americans took offense at this.

It is offensively stupid, especially because, guess what, "between Greece and China" is where tens of thousands of American soldiers are currently getting killed in Afghanistan, and were getting killed in Iraq (for the second time); Israel is there, which millions of Americans have very close relations to, and Iran, where one of America's worst enemies is behaving so suspicious that even Russia has decided that sanctions are a good idea.

Yeah, that region's a blindspot. Sure. I wonder how much mail they got from military families.

The strange part is: This is the sort of thing you would have expected from an anti-American, self-loathing Californian über-liberal who has never been outside the state. Having it come out of Maryland, where Firaxis is located, is a bit of a surprise. This is, after all, the home state of the United States Naval Academy. It think somebody needs to get out more and talk to non-coders.

Honestly, I'm more upset by the fact that for Arabia the factoid is "None".

They couldn't think of anything?! :crazyeye:

I thought it was a joke especially since they often inject a little humor into their games. I just a little saddened because I think that if I went out on the street and asked it might prove out to be true. I am somewhat offended by this:

EmpireofCats wrote:
The strange part is: This is the sort of thing you would have expected from an anti-American, self-loathing Californian über-liberal who has never been outside the state. Having it come out of Maryland, where Firaxis is located, is a bit of a surprise. This is, after all, the home state of the United States Naval Academy. It think somebody needs to get out more and talk to non-coders.

Edit: My response might have offended other posters. Making negative comments about Maryland is just as bad as what I parceived as California bashing. I apologise if anybody was offended before I edited this part out of my post.

I can see your point and in the context you use it is very well justified. You don't need to bash my home to make that point.

I'd be very surprised if the anti-American slur ("it occupies the blind spot Americans have for pretty much everything between Greece and China") actually manages to remain in the civ5 civilopedia. If they've pulled a comment like that from the site, why in their right mind would they decide to keep it in the game?

Americans, like Australians and many other parts of the world, are very diverse people. They may not be the most educated people in geography but it is not justified to generalise an entire country as being ignorant of everything between Greece and China. I'm sure there would be many easier targets than America if you want to look at just knowledge of geography.

I'd be very surprised if the anti-American slur ("it occupies the blind spot Americans have for pretty much everything between Greece and China") actually manages to remain in the civ5 civilopedia.

What makes you think it was ever intended for the civilopedia? I haven't seen it stated anywhere that those descriptions had any connection whatsoever with the civilopedia.

I have the feeling that most of the descriptions are simply copied off of somewhere. Note the "in this article we are specifically examining the Achaemenian dynasty" from the persian description. What article would that be, now?

Hey guys. I just wanted to let you know that the text on that page on the website has been changed.

That text actually comes from the first paragraph in the in-game Civilopedia. It wasn't really the right type of description for the website, so we changed it.

In the real Civilopedia, it goes on with many paragraphs of Ottoman history, as a lot of the 'pedia pages do. :)

Here is the quote for anyone who missed it...2kgreg says they took it off the website but left it in the Civilopedia. So I guess they dont have a problem with the message but dont want you to know the product you bought has anti-American propaganda till after you buy it.

California is bigger than Germany. Have you ever left it?

Sorry, dude, I'm an American living in Germany. So the answer is yes.

My apologies if I you are a sane Californian and I offended you. I have family in California, so I'm not completely clueless. However, I'd point to Zombietime's photo essays as an example of the anti-American extremists I mean. Maryland might be small, but I don't remember them having a reputation for being a haven for the far-left.

The population of Maryland heavy with federal employees who commute to DC. Public employees are unionized and tend to vote left politically.

So I guess they dont have a problem with the message but dont want you to know the product you bought has anti-American propaganda till after you buy it.

Okay, let's start a betting pool: How long after the game hits the market will it take for the conservative American blogs to pick this up and force a patch because of all the bad PR? I mean, look at us, we're the core fan group and already we're pissed. Somebody like Michelle Malkin would have field day with this.

Firaxis, if it ain't funny with other countries, it ain't funny with the U.S. Do yourself a favor and fix this before the game gets a reputation before it has even come out.

EmpireofCats wrote:
Sorry, dude, I'm an American living in Germany. So the answer is yes.

My apologies if I you are a sane Californian and I offended you. I have family in California, so I'm not completely clueless. However, I'd point to Zombietime's photo essays as an example of the anti-American extremists I mean. Maryland might be small, but I don't remember them having a reputation for being a haven for the far-left.

Your apology is accepted. I just got excited. Sometimes I feel like I always have to defend Cali. California does have its share of wing nuts. Maybe even more than other places. Some of us, if not most, are more like the rest of the Americans. We just try to have decent lives. I'll read the photo essays you linked to.

What's your count?
Spoiler :

Iceland?
UK, Ireland, France, Andorra, Monaco, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Nethelands, Luxembourg, Italy, Malta, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Czech R, Croatia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Bosnia H, Macedonia, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova, Hungary, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Poland, Austria
Cyprus?
Russia?
Turkey?
Vatican?

So, up to 44?

Liechtenstein? Kosovo? San Marino? Andorra? :mischief:

I think it has 50 now (51 counting Kosovo)
Spoiler :

1) Iceland
2) Norway
3) Sweden
4) Finland
5) Ireland/North Ireland
6) Wales
7) Scotland
8) England
9) Denmark
10) Estonia
11) Latvia
12) Lithuania
13) Russia
14) Belarus
15) Poland
16) Germany
17) Netherlands
18) Belgium
19) Luxembourg
20) Czech Republic
21) Ukraine
22) Slovakia
23) France
24) Switzerland
25) Liechtenstein
26) Austria
27) Hungary
28) Moldova
29) Slovenia
30) Croatia
31) Serbia
32) Bosnia and Herzegovina
33) Andorra
34) Monaco
35) San Marino
36) Romania
37) Montenegro
38) Kosovo
39) Bulgaria
40) Turkey
41) Macedonia
42) Albania
43) Greece
44) Malta
45) Italy
46) Vatican City
47) Spain
48) Portugal
49) Kazakhstan
50) Azerbaijan
51) Georgia

What makes you think it was ever intended for the civilopedia? I haven't seen it stated anywhere that those descriptions had any connection whatsoever with the civilopedia.

I have the feeling that most of the descriptions are simply copied off of somewhere. Note the "in this article we are specifically examining the Achaemenian dynasty" from the persian description. What article would that be, now?

I hope the post evrett made after yours is adequate explanation. It was 2K Greg who made the statement.

Okay, let's start a betting pool: How long after the game hits the market will it take for the conservative American blogs to pick this up and force a patch because of all the bad PR? I mean, look at us, we're the core fan group and already we're pissed. Somebody like Michelle Malkin would have field day with this.

Firaxis, if it ain't funny with other countries, it ain't funny with the U.S. Do yourself a favor and fix this before the game gets a reputation before it has even come out.

I can't agree more. I can think of about a dozen prominent US conservative outlets who would make trouble for 2K/Firaxis over this. You can easily make many of these civilizations look overly bad or good by writing subjectively about history. Being snarky towards the United States might be in vogue in certain circles, but it is a cheap laugh at the expense of the bottom line.

I would recommend scrubbing the line about what being a "super power" means and start getting 1000% more professional with copy on the main site ASAP.

It could be anti-american only in some right-winger paranoid american brain. For the rest of the world it is only a statement out of place invented to fill an space in the ottoman description.

'The single greatest scientific event in the history of mankind' must be a very anti-american statement.

Top Bottom