WC 2006: Group E

Rhye said:
Italian commentators were quite optimistic.
It's always difficult to judge the optimism of commentators. Let's say that the commentators talk more about a Ghanean shot than would do commentators of another country, how could you know that ? You have not seen what was happing on German TV !

We all wants to not be influenced by anything, but we are necessarily. We know that Iran wants to devellop the nuclear weapon because the journalists told it to us. Hence they have necessarily an influence on us. Of course we always take a step back towards sources, but you can't chpose what they put in front of your nose, and that has necessarily an effect of yourself. No matter how much we want to think by ourself, we are necessarily influenced.

Now of course, anyone who think of himself that "he knows what footie is" will consider as an insult to recognize his been influenced by commentators. I wasn't expecting you to recognize it. Even Hitro who told he put the sound on mute. Did Hitro chose the angle of the images by himself, did he chose the replays by himself ? No he didn't. Anyway, I will stop this here as I expect you to try to prove in your next post that you definitly cannot be influenced. Recognizing that there's necessarily an outside influence would be some kind of dishonour. ;)

I was sort of disgusted by the ESPN2 commentators....Koller went down in obvious pain and the one guy (O'Brien) I think mentioned how fortuitous this was for the US to get back into the game. It honestly made me ill...:sad:

woodelf said:
I was sort of disgusted by the ESPN2 commentators....Koller went down in obvious pain and the one guy (O'Brien) I think mentioned how fortuitous this was for the US to get back into the game. It honestly made me ill...:sad:

Well, I don't want to sound overly alibistic, but this injury is a very, very serious blow for our team. Koller was very promising in last weeks.
I hope Baroš will recover to his full strength, otherwise we're screwed.

Winner said:
Well, I don't want to sound overly alibistic, but this injury is a very, very serious blow for our team. Koller was very promising in last weeks.
I hope Baroš will recover to his full strength, otherwise we're screwed.
Well, considering you've beaten the US by a 3 goals margin, a draw against Ghana should be enough to qualify. Normally, Koller should be back for the 2nd round... however, it's true you have stronger chances because of that injury to meet Brazil there.

Marla_Singer said:
Did Hitro chose the angle of the images by himself, did he chose the replays by himself ? No he didn't.
No I did not, but I think they are a worldwide feed?

Sure we are influenced by how things are presented, I just doubt there was a national difference in this particular case.
Generally though that can of course be the case, especially with the "home" fans.

But what is far worse are the prejudices. If Germany played exactly the same game as the Netherlands 9 out of 10 commentators worldwide would later describe the Dutch team as "creative" and the German one as "well organised"...

Marla_Singer said:
Well, considering you've beaten the US by a 3 goals margin, a draw against Ghana should be enough to qualify. Normally, Koller should be back for the 2nd round... however, it's true you have stronger chances because of that injury to meet Brazil there.

We both know we don't stand a chance against Brazil. Our only hope is to avoid them by winning the group.

Winner said:
Well, he's being optimistic, saying that it's "just a tear" and he'll be back in few days. On the other hand, Brückner says it's really, really bad. He won't be available for the games with Ghana and Italy, that's for sure.
A serious loss for your team: I hope, you'll be able to pass to the next round(I think you will...I wish so, anyway, since it's a very good team), and also let's hope Koller will be back by then.

Hitro said:
No I did not, but I think they are a worldwide feed?
Actually they aren't. The French commentator told that we had the "chance" to have TF1 being free to direct the game by itself for this world cup. Obviously Germans send images of all their cameras to international channels who wanted it.

Sure we are influenced by how things are presented, I just doubt there was a national difference in this particular case.
Generally though that can of course be the case, especially with the "home" fans.

But what is far worse are the prejudices. If Germany played exactly the same game as the Netherlands 9 out of 10 commentators worldwide would later describe the Dutch team as "creative" and the German one as "well organised"...
That's true.

Marla_Singer said:
Recognizing that there's necessarily an outside influence would be some kind of dishonour. ;)

I never said that. Actually I found myself disagreeing with the commentator during the game.
I was just surprised as most of you as well as press and commentators judged this a very good game for italy.

Winner said:
We both know we don't stand a chance against Brazil. Our only hope is to avoid them by winning the group.
I still think you have good chances of coming first: all you need to do is to win Ghana and a draw with Italy(at least).
Brazil is NOT invinsible: a strong team on it's best day and with iron will, can beat them. Yeah, the chances favour Brazil, but in football anything goes...

Italy, besides Czech, is also a team that could stand up to Brazil on a good day.

King Alexander said:
A serious loss for your team: I hope, you'll be able to pass to the next round(I think you will...I wish so, anyway, since it's a very good team), and also let's hope Koller will be back by then.

Well, God isn't on our side (no wonder, we're bloody atheists ;) ), so I am not hopeful.

In a period of irony it would suck to win Group E and see Brazil then come in second... :D

Marla_Singer said:
Actually they aren't. The French commentator told that we had the "chance" to have TF1 being free to direct the game by itself for this world cup. Obviously Germans send images of all their cameras to international channels who wanted it.
Interesting. Do they show more replays there? Here they sometimes just don't repeat questionable decisions, especially if they were not acted upon by the referee.

King Alexander said:
I still think you have good chances of coming first: all you need to do is to win Ghana and a draw with Italy(at least).
Brazil is NOT invinsible: a strong team on it's best day and with iron will, can beat them. Yeah, the chances favour Brazil, but in football anything goes...

Italy, besides Czech, is also a team that could stand up to Brazil on a good day.

I don't say Brazil is unbeatable, I just don't believe we're the ones who can beat them. They are better in everything. They would have to drink all night before the game in order to give us a chance.

Rhye said:
I never said that. Actually I found myself disagreeing with the commentator during the game.
I was just surprised as most of you as well as press and commentators judged this a very good game for italy.
Well, honnestly it's difficult to say, as I had the feeling Italy did take advantage of Ghana's defensive mistakes as much as the lack of pace and creative of Ghana's forwards. However, I would clearly not call this a bad game for Italy.

On one game it's very difficult to know if a team had such a result because the opponent were weak or because it was actually strong. That's why I find 2nd games very interesting.

In my opinion, the 1st game is the most important because it determines the spirit of a team. However, the 2nd game is more interesting strategically speaking as you can know better whether your first feeling is confirmed or not. Finally, the 3rd game is generally too much made out of calculation in order to go through with the minimum efforts that it's generally less interesting on that specific aspect. However, as that game is generally decisive it can also offers the best show, a bit similarly as a playoff game. Though if the team is already qualified it can also turn out boring as hell. ;)

US- Czech match is great, and to think that Wenger bought Rosicky to Arsenal for a mere 6 mil pounds is awesome.

It's funny to see US coach so emotionless during the match, as if he have expected to be whipped by Czech.

Italy - Ghana match is predictedly boring, as usual. I wonder who the hell coined that this is the second toughest group?

Anyway, it would need a hell lot of injuries to Czech and Italy team for US and Ghana to go through. They better pray real hard, or bribe the Italians pasta chef ;)

The draw of theis WC obviously stinks. Here we have the better African teams getting eliminated since they happen to have 4 better challengers (NL, ARG, CZ, ITA). They would have a nice time in group A or B or the even worse Portugese group.
Next thing, Italy or Czech are going to meet Brazil, while maybe England meets Poland and such stuff. Annoying. We had such a horrible draw last time round when Germany made it to the final, please spare us this time round.

One question here: Some of the Italian players have some very short haircuts, they almost look like some fascist impersonation to me. Am I just imagining or is there some truth to it? I hope I am wrong, but Cannavaro looks like one of them. I always thought Italian players fancy their hairstyle more than the game (like Nesta etc.)

woodelf said:

An ESPN2 commentator picked the US for the ''simple'' reason that he thought the us goalie was better than Peter Cech. I mean.. com'on!!! How can you consider Keller better than Cech who plays @ the english powerhouse Chelsea?? That just disgusted me and it meant those commentators do not watch the European leagues.

Top Bottom