WC 2006: Group E

Juve players shaved their heads to celebrate the scudetto (as long as it's assigned to Juve), that's it. It isn't even stylish here actually....
Though I don't like very short hair, I appreciated the fact that they weren't so polished as in Euro 2004, where they probably thought they all were stars and their hair was the most important thing.

Anyway I wonder how you can see fascist (???) implications in this. Shaved heads can be related to neo-nazis. Not even nazis or fascists (who, the latter, could be recognized from wearing in black.)
Thanks Rhye for clarifying this. I was just so used to the Italian soccer player's preoccupation with their hairstyle, that's why I was wondering. And maybe read too much about Di Canio and feared about others

and for our too negative winner, good news for you, Koller's injury seems not as serious. Time to give Ghana a good beating so that a draw will be enough to be #1 in the group.

I'm not really interested in the haircuts and why,but
Totti has also his hair shorten and he's from AS Roma.

It's a sad day when haircuts are the topic of discussion. The momentum the USA had has been reduced to this.... ;)

Marla_Singer said:
I've just heard an American journalist saying that yesterday's loss was expected because after all "Czech Republic is 2nd of the FIFA ranking" ! :lol:

However, the Journalist was still confident as both Italy and Ghana are below the US in FIFA ranking so the US should beat them ! :lol:

So we'll get the silver? Hm, that's ok for me :mischief:

you guys are the only ones complaining The guys at World Soccer Daily sent a petition to ESPN to get rid of Dave O'Brian and Marcelo Balboa for the world cup. About 5000 people signed it. I couldn't find the link, because they took it down from thier site.

On keller, he actually was a great goal keeper at one point, and is still pretty darn good, but not nearly what he used to be. In fact, when the US played Brazil at the 96 gold cup, Romario said of Keller's performence, that it was the best he had ever seen.

Rhye said:
well probably you are right, I was just anxious and couldn't watch the game with objective judgment.
Even todays newspapers prove me wrong (but I still think to Nesta saving us from a counterattack with the heel...)

I watched the game agian.. and now I think they played very good. They had their chances, they were the better team (Except the first 5 mins). I think as a fan you live the game in a different way. YOu want your team to score immediately and you get unpatient if they don't. Let's not forget that the result was still open if it wasn't for Ghana's mistake in the second goal. Until that moment I was very worried.

Journalists in the other hand write their newspaper articles (most times) after watching the game for a second time and afer analyzing it.

I was talking to a couple of friends of mine that are from Argentina and they said that so far they think Italy and Argentina have played the best football.

Italy hasn't played badly, but don't underestimate Czech republic. It might well come down to goal difference here, so Italy should try and thrash USA. But since they are #5 in the world, won't be easy ;)

Whoever will be #2 in this group faces Brazil and a potential early exit. On the other hand, I think if someone can beat Brazil, it might be Italy or Czech.

Rhye said:
I jsut found this forum:
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/

very funny.
Now it's a tragedy, but if you browse back some pages, you'll find a load of statements like these true gems:

"We will win. There is absolutely no reason to believe that the US will not win the World Cup."

"12% of the Americans say they will win this World Cup"

Bigsoccer is an excellent site. Plenty of knowledgable people from around the globe....but for the full stupidity effect, check out the World Rivalries forum there. There's an ever-continuous thread entitled Dumbest Post Ever, featuring many hilariously dumb things said, not all by Americans. Folks from the bbc 606 love winding us up; unfortunately some of them double register and play both sides by then impersonating stupid Yanks...like we need any help :)

Yes, ESPN coverage is terrible, as fully expected. Hopefully it'll get better as the tourney goes on. They are doing more pre/post-game analysis.

As for the US game....bleh....and poor use of substituions...O'Brien, Josh Wolf ?? Are you kidding me ?

I wish we had Guus Hiddink right now, he would have use the subs much more effectively.

Edit: Is it a crazy thought to think that Australia just might beat Brazil?

well, I can hope can't I.

While I'm being delusional, I am now going to predict that The USA will win the world cup.

In another fit of poor broadcasting they said yesterday that if the US ties Italy and beats Ghana then they're definitely through to the next round. WTF? Maybe if they beat Ghana by 6 goals. These idiots assume that because 4 points worked last WC it's guaranteed to work again.

Beat Italy, beat Ghana, end of debate. I don't see 4 points after losing 3-0 doing the job.

woodelf said:
In another fit of poor broadcasting they said yesterday that if the US ties Italy and beats Ghana then they're definitely through to the next round. WTF? Maybe if they beat Ghana by 6 goals. These idiots assume that because 4 points worked last WC it's guaranteed to work again.

Beat Italy, beat Ghana, end of debate. I don't see 4 points after losing 3-0 doing the job.

Italy was out with 5 points last Euro (2004)

And there have been teams going out with 6. If the US achieve those results, the czechs can beat Ghana and loose with Italy, that the USA would finish two points away from 2nd place Czech Rep.

Exactly my point. I need to watch ESPN2's coverage with the mute button on.

If we tied Italy and beat Ghana we could get through, just as we could beat Italy and Ghana and still be out . . .

Could and Definite are different. My beef is that the announcer was misleading the masses. Nitpicking I know, but it's true.

Rhye said:
Italy was out with 5 points last Euro (2004)
'Cause Sweden and Denmark fixed their result :mad:

Top Bottom