WC2006 BBC predictions

SoCalian said:
and if lampard can do that, then there is no telling how far england can go.

Well, you need more than just a few great midfielders.

I can't think of any English defender or forward that would make it into the Dutch national team.
And the Dutch natrional team is not what it has been.......

England most defenitely has a crappier team than usual.

This might sound sour, bitter or rantful, but I really like to know why so many people rate the England team so high.

Stapel said:

I can't think of any English defender or forward that would make it into the Dutch national team.

This might sound sour, bitter or rantful, but I really like to know why so many people rate the England team so high.
I don't get your assessment at all. I think the current English team is the best they've had in my lifetime.

Terry and Campbell most certainly aren't a "crappy defense". Rooney most certainly isn't a crappy striker. And Lampard and Gerrard are certainly amoung the best midfielders in the world.

As always they should get rid of Beckham, of course...

I would say that Terry is one of the Wirld's best Defenders and Rio can do an impression of one should he actually work hard enough, which is something that he is not doing that right now.

Stapel said:

Well it just sounds like your arguing for the sake of arguing.

Our defence is very good, Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, Cole, Neville, Carragher are just some of the ones i can remember of the top of my head.

Attack well just look at Owens stats and i think you might reconsider your opinion, Rooney..... well you can argue against his talent if you want but you cant really.

Stapel said:

Ashley Cole could take the left back position I guess.. and I wouldn't mind having John Terry on as well..

Yup, I forgot Terry :blush: .

Ferdinand and Campbell: :nono:

Neville? :lol:

Ashley Cole: might do indeed.

laugh all you want but Neville is the most capped or nearly most capped player on the English team, he's won just about every domestic medal and has been playing at the top level for years.

no no no, he's been playing with top level all around him.. that's something different. :D

And if winning a lot makes him a good player, I have to accuse you of scoretable-journalism, as Co Adriaanse said. :D What do numbers say? Cruyff never became world champion, does that make him less brilliant? He's still better than any English player ever.

willemvanoranje said:
no no no, he's been playing with top level all around him.. that's something different. :D

And if winning a lot makes him a good player, I have to accuse you of scoretable-journalism, as Co Adriaanse said. :D What do numbers say? Cruyff never became world champion, does that make him less brilliant? He's still better than any English player ever.

well no because if he was playing with top players he would be found to be the weak link and subsequently replaced but as he hasnt i would say he is a fairly good player.

BCLG100 said:
laugh all you want but Neville is the most capped or nearly most capped player on the English team, he's won just about every domestic medal and has been playing at the top level for years.

I have explained this once here on this forum:

As long as the English rate Neville as a top level player, England has not yet reached a top level.

I agree with Willem here.

Week in, week out, Gary Neville has been the best right back in the Premiership. There is no doubt that he is the best crosser of a ball in that position and his attacking play for ManU has been excellent.

Please continue to underestimate him.

classical_hero said:
Who would replace Neville?

For all I care he can stay in the team.. that doesn't make him better though. Carreghar isn't that bad, although neither that much better.. aah, I don't know. Could it be that there just isn't a top flight right back with an English passport? We Dutch don't have superplayers on every single position either..

willemvanoranje said:
For all I care he can stay in the team.. that doesn't make him better though. Carreghar isn't that bad, although neither that much better.. aah, I don't know. Could it be that there just isn't a top flight right back with an English passport? We Dutch don't have superplayers on every single position either..

But seeing how Neville is one of the best if not best right backs in maybe the most competitive league in the country it disproves what both of you are saying about him being bad/

Well.. I do agree with you that the Premiership IS the best league in the country England haha!

Anyway, it doesn't disprove anything. You can have the most competitive league but still not one single world class right back.

Top Bottom