[We the People] Bug reporting

Using 3.01

I don't know if this is known already, but another source of negative food:

On one of the events where the natives are sick, if you choose to send 50 food and the city grows on the same turn, food storage will go negative. I think I was left with 28-50 = -22 food

I don't know if this is known already, but another source of negative food:

On one of the events where the natives are sick, if you choose to send 50 food and the city grows on the same turn, food storage will go negative. I think I was left with 28-50 = -22 food
That's a new one and it shows how difficult getting rid of bugs can be. I fixed 3 different negative storage bugs for 3.0 and yet I missed this one.

I'm sure you are well aware of this bug and may be it is not fixable as it looks like a vanila behaviour:
Spoiler domestic advisor sorting :

upload_2021-6-24_22-6-32.png

This bug is rather old (at least from 2.7.*) and it is still here in 3.0.1: yelds on domestic advisor screen are sorted as strings and not as numbers (sorted by tobaco, 0<1044<116<20<216...)

This bug is rather old (at least from 2.7.*) and it is still here in 3.0.1: yelds on domestic advisor screen are sorted as strings and not as numbers (sorted by tobaco, 0<1044<116<20<216...)
We do not deal with the sorting ourselves. MAX seems to be a string, hence sorted as a string. The real question is what the other columns are sorted after. Is 80 before or after 123. I can't remember offhand.

I suppose we could make MAX sortable... with a hack. The characters are stored as 16 bit variables, but we only use 256 and GameFont. This gives us (at least in theory) like 30k invisible character, or 60k if we can treat the characters as unsigned. This would allow us to start MAX with an invisible character where the value of that character controls sorting. Yes it's a hack, but without access to the sorting code itself, that is likely our best option.

I would likely limit the scope to 22k invisible characters as that would provide us with a continuous block. Using more places the invisible characters in between gamefont characters, hence more messy code and higher risk of bugs. Luckily 22k is still high enough to use it to control sorting.

3.0.1 Perhaps not a bug but WAD - in the diplomacy screen why do some of the answers and questions start with an asterik and most don´t?
The asterik serves as a progress marker to avoid changing the text of the same tag over and over again. At times 2-3 people have been working on one file which made it difficult to keep track of changes. Due to lack of time reading posts I'd missed the release date otherwise I'd have re-committed these 3 files:
CIV4GameText_Colonization_DiplomacyText_utf8.xml
XML_AUTO_UTF8_BonusInfo.xml
XML_AUTO_UTF8_ImprovementInfo.xml

The files belong in the ...\Assets\XML\Text sub-directory of the mod; its location depends upon where you actually installed the mod, either in the main directory of Civ4Col or under c:\users\"YOURUSERNAME"\documents\my games\Civ4Col. Alternatively you can use an editor like notepad++ to remove the * from these files in one go.

The revised diplomacy texts are part of my first enhanced readability package which tries by supporting colouring to make spotting of important information a little bit easier. Besides diplomacy texts, the message log and also many tooltips and pop-ups have been revised. A second package, which e.g. includes revised names for founding fathers (even one 'new') and leaders, has been committed yesterday and will be part of the next update. (not finished yet)

Attachments

• WTP_301-minor revisions.rar
    203.7 KB · Views: 18
3.01 WAD or bug?
Units that are sent to a specific square show their route, estimated time and in the next turns go there.
When a threat is near they stop.

In my current game a ship of mine that I sent to the next native city down the coast stopped. I can´t see any threat in it´s visibility range - unless the "threat" is the wild animal on land...?

Do wild animals on land actually count as threats for naval units and stop them onroute to somewhere? In fear of an amphibious assault by a Cougar?
Spoiler :

upload_2021-6-27_0-24-37.png

And just out of curiousity - do sea animals in the visibility of land units stop land units on route to somewhere?

Do wild animals on land actually count as threats for naval units and stop them onroute to somewhere? In fear of an amphibious assault by a Cougar?
No. That shouldn't happen. I can't tell you what is going on without a savegame though.

And just out of curiousity - do sea animals in the visibility of land units stop land units on route to somewhere?
That shouldn't happen either.

No. That shouldn't happen. I can't tell you what is going on without a savegame though.

That shouldn't happen either.

The ship came from the city on the left and should have gone to the city down in the front.
With Worldbuilder I can see that a sea animal is close (2 sqaures before the ship) - however as only 1 square is highlighted as being visible to the ship could that be the cause? If so it would make more sense than the land animal that I could see ingame - but not much more as the ship could not yet see the sea animal just as I could not ingame.

Attachments

• Johan Risingh AD-1492-January.ColonizationSave
    916.3 KB · Views: 47
if there is a sea animal or an enemy ship within the maximum visibility radius, your ship should stop. even if its visibility range has not reached its maximum.
land animals / enemy units do not stop ships.

if there is a sea animal or an enemy ship within the maximum visibility radius, your ship should stop. even if its visibility range has not reached its maximum.
land animals / enemy units do not stop ships.

So if there is a whale that *I can not see*, but that I *hypthetically would be able to see, if in the future my visibility gets better*, then a ships stop it´s route?
That sounds awkward.
Why does the game check for the maximum visibility range (that is very variable depending what promotions a ship might choose) and so check a very large area, instead of just checking the area *that the ship actually in that move can see*? The area to check would be smaller and a ship might happen to stop in a sqaure next to the whale, actually seeing him and knowing that it is the cause of the stop - instead of stopping in a sqaure with only completely empty squares around and a whale beyond the range of visibility.

I mean - this is not Dune and those navigators have no access to the spice to react to whale sightings that are still in the future...

upload_2021-7-1_16-53-58.jpeg

Reactions: nci
3.01 Is there a problem with the automation of whaling boats?
When automated they first work as expected, searching a whale resource, whaling - but when full they do not, as in the colopedia, deliver their cargo to "the nearest settlement" but simply stop. When automated again they sail a bit around and stop again.

I have several colonies, several at the coast with piers. Only Fort Christina however has a dock. Is there another requirement for the harbour that whalers would go to that the colopedia does not mention?

I have several colonies, several at the coast with piers. Only Fort Christina however has a dock. Is there another requirement for the harbour that whalers would go to that the colopedia does not mention?
Yes, it is looking for a "Whale Oil House".
(Currently forgot the name of it.)

It wants to bring it to a place that can actually manufacture Whale Blubber to Whale Oil.
To my knowledge nothing related to Whaling was changed in Release 3.1.

At least that is what I remember. :think:

Vanilla will detect danger at a range of 2 plots regardless of visibility. Sure I can change it to unit's visible range and add that the plot in question shouldn't be in fog of war (like behind weather). That will be slower than the current code and that might be why vanilla is designed as it is.

Another issue is the AI. It might be more prone to "seek out" danger. I don't want to hurt the AI with a quick fix here.

It wants to bring it to a place that can actually manufacture Whale Blubber to Whale Oil.
Nearest with an oil industry sounds good, but if there is none, it should seek out the nearest rather than stop entirely.

Vanilla will detect danger at a range of 2 plots regardless of visibility. Sure I can change it to unit's visible range and add that the plot in question shouldn't be in fog of war (like behind weather). That will be slower than the current code and that might be why vanilla is designed as it is.

Another issue is the AI. It might be more prone to "seek out" danger. I don't want to hurt the AI with a quick fix here.

Nearest with an oil industry sounds good, but if there is none, it should seek out the nearest rather than stop entirely.

Exactly - as long as the whaling oilyard is not yet built I could gather the blubber in a city and sell it to Port Royal.

I had a quick look at 3.0.1 ... and the map is now brown.

It seems that Prairie now uses a brown texture. I did not see the 2nd terrain type Plains that was discussed in the Terrain thread and which usually has the brown look, e.g. in the original Colonization.

Plains : Prairie :

ad a quick look at 3.0.1 ... and the map is now brown.
The images can not be seen. :dunno:

The new "Plains" (for the new "Terrain Overhaul") are definitely not included in "3.0.1".
Many releases ago @Schmiddie recoloured the Terrains a bit though. (Including "Prairie")

Trust me, considering Terrains / Terrain graphics in "3.0.1" everything is as intended. :thumbsup:
There is definitely no bug considering Terrain graphics in "3.0.1" and my work considering Terrains from branch "Plains" was also definitely not merged in there.

If "Prairie" looks like the lower right Terrain, eveything is correct. But this slight "recolouring" happened several releases ago.
Ignore the "Red Arrow", since it points to the "new Plains" (additional Terrain), which are not published yet.

Last edited:
I did not see the 2nd terrain type Plains that was discussed in the Terrain ...
Because that stuff is not published. ;)
(The thread title says "WORK IN PROGRESS")

Are animal lairs with multiple animals, spawning a new animal if one of the existing ones is defeated, a bug or a feature? They can be used to streamline spawning Great Generals...

Are animal lairs with multiple animals, spawning a new animal if one of the existing ones is defeated, a bug or a feature?
That is a feature. :)

It may happen but is not the "normal case".
(It depends a bit on the Cave / Animal Combination)

They can be used to streamline spawning Great Generals ...
Actually normally it is only defended by one animal.

And no you can not really use it to "streamline spawning Great Generals", because the amount of XP you can get from Animals is limited.
Once your troops are above 2 XP they will not get any XP anymore from Wild Animals and thus also not generate Points for Great Generals.

Top Bottom