[We the People] Bug reporting

And no you can not really use it to "streamline spawning Great Generals", because the amount of XP you can get from Animals is limited.
Once your troops are above 2 XP they will not get any XP anymore from Wild Animals and thus also not generate Points for Great Generals.
Sorry, but that is just wrong. Troops won't get XP anymore, but each defeated Wild Animal counts as 1XP towards Great General (or Great Admiral, for sea animals). It is very easy to verify, and here's a savefile with a Conquistador near an Animal Lair with multiple animals.

Attachments

• Louis de Frontenac AD-1530-May.ColonizationSave
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

And no you can not really use it to "streamline spawning Great Generals", because the amount of XP you can get from Animals is limited.
Once your troops are above 2 XP they will not get any XP anymore from Wild Animals and thus also not generate Points for Great Generals.

Wild Animals as in the units that are wild animals (e.g. cougar, bears, aligator) or "Wild Animals" as the faction name of the barbarian faction that includes other human units?

Reactions: nci
Sorry, but that is just wrong. Troops won't get XP anymore, but each defeated Wild Animal counts as 1XP towards Great General (or Great Admiral, for sea animals). It is very easy to verify, and here's a savefile with a Conquistador near an Animal Lair with multiple animals.
Thanks, will look into this. :thumbsup:
Maybe I should just forbid to spawn more than 1 Animal for Layers. :)

Wild Animals as in the units that are wild animals (e.g. cougar, bears, aligator) or "Wild Animals" as the faction name of the barbarian faction that includes other human units?
Wild Animals as in cougars and bears.

This policy is the only reason to hunt wild animals, especially on sea. I believe it should be kept in place.
Maybe I should just forbid to spawn more than 1 Animal for Layers.
That would be the solution for this problem, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Wild Animals as in cougars and bears.

This policy is the only reason to hunt wild animals, especially on sea. I believe it should be kept in place.

That would be the solution for this problem, in my opinion.

I just tried it in my game. A sloop with more than 2 XP killed a sea animal - no XP gain, but the counter for Great Admiral under Military Advisor advanced from 60 to 61 for the "victory at sea".

I just tried it in my game. A sloop with more than 2 XP killed a sea animal - no XP gain, but the counter for Great Admiral under Military Advisor advanced from 60 to 61 for the "victory at sea".
That is ok for me actually. :)
(I have no issue that defeating a Wild Animal gives a GG point.)

The issue is rather that @nci reported that animals continuously respawn (at an Animal Cave). <-- Which would then allow GG point farming exploit.
Actually I checked the code and they should not respawn defeated Animals if there is still a Defender.
(Only undefended Caves - at game start or placed by Worldbuilder - should spawn Animals currently).

@nci:
Are you really sure that animals continously respawn at a wild animal cave? Because that should not happen (yet).
It was a feature I planned for another release. I was confused and thought it was already implemented.

It is possible that there might be 2 defenders (2 animals on a cave).
But it should not spawn again if you kill one of them (or both which would trigger the Goody though).

I had a quick look at 3.0.1 ... and the map is now brown.

It seems that Prairie now uses a brown texture. I did not see the 2nd terrain type Plains that was discussed in the Terrain thread and which usually has the brown look, e.g. in the original Colonization.

Plains : Prairie :
I edited the links to make the images work. It makes it easier to figure out what you are talking about if we can see it.

Ray already gave a decent answer though.

It is possible that there might be 2 defenders (2 animals on a cave).
Yes, there are.
But it should not spawn again if you kill one of them (or both which would trigger the Goody though).
Well, if I only kill one of the defending animals, such animal lair will spawn second animal next turn, unless I beat both animals in a single turn - but why would I, when I can generate GGs this way. This is not the first game where I see such behaviour, although admittedly animal lairs with two defending animals are rather rare.

Maybe the Prairie-Look is caused by a mistake in the xml? There is a double define for ART_DEF_TERRAIN_PLAINS in file CIV4ArtDefines_Terrain.xml.

Spoiler :

<TerrainArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_TERRAIN_PLAINS</Type>
<Path>Art/Terrain/Textures/PrairieBlend.dds</Path>
<Grid>Art/Terrain/Textures/PrairieGrids.dds</Grid>
<Detail>Art/Terrain/Textures/PrairieDETAIL.dds</Detail>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/BaseTerrain_TerrainFeatures_Atlas.dds,8,1</Button>
<LayerOrder>4</LayerOrder>
<TerrainGroup>TERRAIN_GROUP_LAND</TerrainGroup>
<TextureBlend01>8,0</TextureBlend01>
<TextureBlend02>1,0</TextureBlend02>
<TextureBlend04>6,0</TextureBlend04>
<TextureBlend08>5,0</TextureBlend08>
<TextureBlend03>2,0</TextureBlend03>
<TextureBlend06>10,0</TextureBlend06>
<TextureBlend12>12,0</TextureBlend12>
<TextureBlend09>9,0</TextureBlend09>
<TextureBlend07>3,0</TextureBlend07>
<TextureBlend14>14,0</TextureBlend14>
<TextureBlend13>11,0</TextureBlend13>
<TextureBlend11>4,0</TextureBlend11>
<TextureBlend10>7,0</TextureBlend10>
<TextureBlend05>13,0</TextureBlend05>
<TextureBlend15>15,0 16,0 18,0 19,0 20,0 21,0 22,0 23,0 24,0 25,0 26,0 27,0 28,0 29,0 30,0 31,0 32,0</TextureBlend15>
</TerrainArtInfo>
<TerrainArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_TERRAIN_PLAINS</Type>
<Path>Art/Terrain/Textures/PlainsBlend.dds</Path>
<Grid>Art/Terrain/Textures/PlainsGrids.dds</Grid>
<Detail>Art/Terrain/Textures/PrairieDETAIL.dds</Detail>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/baseterrain_terrainfeatures_atlas_custom.dds,7,2</Button>
<LayerOrder>12</LayerOrder>
<TerrainGroup>TERRAIN_GROUP_LAND</TerrainGroup>
<TextureBlend01>8,0</TextureBlend01>
<TextureBlend02>1,0</TextureBlend02>
<TextureBlend04>6,0</TextureBlend04>
<TextureBlend08>5,0</TextureBlend08>
<TextureBlend03>2,0</TextureBlend03>
<TextureBlend06>10,0</TextureBlend06>
<TextureBlend12>12,0</TextureBlend12>
<TextureBlend09>9,0</TextureBlend09>
<TextureBlend07>3,0</TextureBlend07>
<TextureBlend14>14,0</TextureBlend14>
<TextureBlend13>11,0</TextureBlend13>
<TextureBlend11>4,0</TextureBlend11>
<TextureBlend10>7,0</TextureBlend10>
<TextureBlend05>13,0</TextureBlend05>
<TextureBlend15>15,0 16,0 18,0 19,0 20,0 21,0 22,0 23,0 24,0 25,0 26,0 27,0 28,0 29,0 30,0 31,0 32,0</TextureBlend15>
</TerrainArtInfo>

There is a double define for ART_DEF_TERRAIN_PLAINS in file CIV4ArtDefines_Terrain.xml.
Definitely not in the branch I am working on. :dunno:

And actually I do not even understand the problem? :confused:
Please post a screenshot of the graphics. :thumbsup:

And to avoid any misunderstandings I repeat this here:
  • You do not have the version of the picture posted below.
  • You will only have 1 brown / yellow Terrain.
  • Branch "PLAINS" is not published for community yet.
  • @Schmiddie had purposely recoloured some terrains to look more natural.

Simply answer this question otherwise:

Do the graphics you talk about look like the lower right? Yes or no?
If yes, then everything is ok and it is looking as designed. :)
(And again ignore the arrow on the left in the picture.)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
see images : 2.8.2.2 vs. 3.0.1

prairie_wtp_2_8_2_2.jpg
prairie_wtp_3_0_1_no_fog.jpg

(Giant Americas map near New Orleans)

The xml coding reported above causes a problem in worldbuilder : icon for prairie is missing or dark
prairie_worldbuilder_bug_wtp_3_0_1.jpg

Last edited:
see images : 2.8.2.2 vs. 3.0.1
Sorry mate,

but it seems that the image to the right is with "Fog of War".
The Image to the left is not. (Thus of course the one to the right is darker.)

If you have both images without "Fog of War" (e.g. in Worldbuilder) they should look almost identical - the recolouring @Schmiddie did was not that dramatic.
Otherwise you messed up your installation. (Maybe you somehow did not properly download and tried to get a dev branch.)

Because there is generally no general technical issue with Terrain Graphics in Release 3.0.1
Otherwise we would have massive complaints from our players.

By the way:
I hope you do not try to load old Savegames from 2.8.x in 3.0.1

-----

This here is the Download Link (Version 3.0.1)

Get the ZIP from there and nothing else. (It is all you need to play with.)

Last edited:
Sorry mate,

but it seems that the image to the right is with "Fog of War".
The Image to the left is not. (Thus of course the one to the right is darker.)

If you have both images without "Fog of War" (e.g. in Worldbuilder) they should look almost identical.
Otherwise you messed up your installation. (Maybe you somehow did not properly download and tried to get a dev branch.)

Because ther is generally no general technical issue with Terrain Graphics in Release 3.0.1
Otherwise we would have massive complaints from our players.

By the way:
I hope you do not try to load old Savegames from 2.8.x in 3.0.1

-----

This here is the Download Link (Version 3.0.1)

Get the ZIP from there and nothing else. (It is all you need to play with.)

I updated the images.
I got WeThePeople-3.0.1.zip 2 days ago from exactly that page.
I did not load a savegame but started a new scenario for wtp 3.0.1 just to see the map changes.

I updated the images.
In your version it seems that somehow my graphical changes for "new Plains" had slipped in. :dunno:
Dont't know how it happened, but @Nightinggale might.

It does not use the Terrain Graphics of "Prairie".
It now uses the Terrain Graphics of "Plains".

@Nightinggale:
Could you check please if this is really the case in Release 3.0.1? (Why did nobody report it then.)
Or did @historix69 accidently download a branch he should not have touched?

----

For gameplay it is not critical by the way. :)
The only issue is, that the button is missing and the graphics look a bit different.

@historix69: @Nightinggale:

If the second ART_DEF_TERRAIN_PLAINS entry in the XML Civ4ArtDefines.xml is deleted everything will look as normal.
(The first one is the one that Prairies always used, it was just accidently called "...PLAINS".)

Spoiler :

That second one is the ArtDef used for new / actual Plains. (From branch Plains)
In the current dev branch where this seems to have been copied from the old ArtDef was renamed.
(ArtDef of Prairie is now also called ART_DEF_TERRAIN_PRAIRIE in branch "Plains".)

Last edited:
@historix69
You know that you can make screenshots in Civ4Col by pressing "Print" key, right?
Because we were discussing about half a dozen of posts before you posted a screenshot the first time.

Screenshots really help. :thumbsup:
Please next time post a screenshot in the first post directly.

@historix69
You know that you can make screenshots in Civ4Col by pressing "Print" key, right?
Because we were discussing about half a dozen of posts before you posted a screenshot the first time.

Screenshots really help. :thumbsup:
Please next time post a screenshot in the first post directly.

No offense :
Don't you have the latests release pack (3.0.1) in your game mod folder?
I did not expect that you write long posts how it should be instead of just start the mod, start a scenario and have a look at the map e.g. via worldbuilder (ca. 1-2 min work) ...
So I just described the problem.

Don't you have the latests release pack (3.0.1) in your game mod folder?
No, the version I currenty work on is basically upcoming 3.x to 4.0 already. ;)
(Depending how much of my stuff the WTP team is going to merge and when.)

Several months of work ahead of the last public release.
In my world 3.0.1 is already outdated ...

I did not expect that you write long posts how it should be instead of just start the mod,
I never had 3.0 or 3.0.1 installed ... those are just products merged from our development branches.
It contains only parts of my work which I shared into the development branch from which @Nightingale merged to create 3.0 or 3.0.1.

So if you do not post screenshots I do not know what is going on.

So please post screenshots. :thumbsup:

----

The issue you reported is simply not visible in my branch - because it never happened there.
It was an issue with merging my work into 3.0.1 (Thus I did not know and could not reproduce.)

So the "merge process" failed, not the implementation.

----

See, I am not a player of public releases. :)
The versions I play or test are "customized" or "development branches in work".

Last edited:
@Nightinggale:
Could you check please if this is really the case in Release 3.0.1? (Why did nobody report it then.)
Or did @historix69 accidently download a branch he should not have touched?

----

For gameplay it is not critical by the way. :)
The only issue is, that the button is missing and the graphics look a bit different.

I noticed the missing button but assumed it was WIP and not implemented. The same with the plains/prairies. I don't think anybody reported because nobody assumed there was a bug.

I'm having an issue where I have a Spice Trader making salt and it shows a +7 but I never get any salt. It just stays at zero turn after turn. Same settlement, I have another Spice Trader making red pepper just fine.

I'm having an issue where I have a Spice Trader making salt and it shows a +7 but I never get any salt. It just stays at zero turn after turn. Same settlement, I have another Spice Trader making red pepper just fine.

What is the demand in your city for salt? Are you sure it is not all getting used by the local population? The demand for salt is very high.

Top Bottom