webciv - a civ for a browser

It's not my main project so the development speed is very slow atm, but it's open source, anybody can join and I will always find some time to look at PRs and to help with game design. Currently I'm struggling with many things - I would like to have one web worker for one AI and one web worker for game server, so the UI will never block, but that also means designing the whole architecture differently. I'm mostly experimenting now.

I don't whether it is difficult to make or not. But what about the following idea?

You allow to customize you game. E.g. rules about maps - default, from civ 1, from civ 2, from civ 3, from civ 4. The same rule could be applied to the units (battle system) or the resourses.

Your design goals make it sound like you want to remake Alpha Centauri. Maybe look at what it does - it even has automated armies (though I believe there's a bug related to automated airplanes that causes a crash).

More interesting terrain and more options would be nice, too. In Civ1 your choices are basically irrigate, road, railroad everything possible except mine mountains and hills, EXCEPT that if you're on some huge plains or grassland area then plant some forests and put a railroad on them so you can actually build something.

The way Civ 5 deals with transferring units across water is quite good - no more messing with transports.

There's a lot of ways Civ 1 could be fleshed out - for one there's no attack army unit between the Chariot and the Tank - knights require three optional techs (one of which DOES NOTHING) to get and have the same attack power as chariots. Easy fix is make knights 8 power and make feudalism a government, or something.

No Alpha Centauri please :) At least I don't really plan to implement designing own units and similar stuff during the game-play. However, technologies, units, improvements, and other stuff is customizable simply by editting a JSON-like data, everything can be completely changed even now - for example you can change few textures and have civ-mars mod, etc :)

The map generation you made is amazing. I registered to the forum to tell you that.

And also that some weeks ago I started a similar project though I focus more on the game engine than the map currently. I use phaser (canvas + webgl) for the rendering. My goal is to provide a civ1 like experience that can be played both on mobiles and PC-s from a single browser.

My code is able to spawn some units and move them around according to the terrain. Turn progress (auto / manual) are handled and switching players in a basic but easily expandable manner are also implemented. Tribal villages can also spawned and collected for gold. Now I plan to continue on with a basic science tree.

webciv, if you plan to continue working on a js based civ it would be great if we could join our efforts.

Hey sorry for a delay, I haven't watched this past weeks. I would def join efforts, but my time is kinda limited right now as I focus mainly on 2 projects in C++. Do you have any repo with your project that I can check out?

Looks like some really interesting projects going on here:) Shall look forward to trying out some of the results :)

Are you looking to recreate the original pixel art of Civ 1 and it's units or emulate them with the more modern textures you already have?

Top Bottom