Weird red terrain blotches, no antialiasing?

I didn't tell the whole story... I was actually fooling around with the tileset art choices in the mapscripts when I got this result. When I saved the map and uploaded it in World Builder, it showed this was the art style:

What is white here should have been a colour, representing either the American, Asian, African or European tileset. But the different tilesets must have gotten mixed up.

This obviously will make it a lot harder to find the right blend between tiles. I'm pretty sure the two marsh tiles in my picture were of a different art style than the surrounding tiles...
Then it's not a computer specs issue. I found that other thread you were mentioning, The_J, and yeah, that indeed looks like systems not being able to handle the game.
But there are also isolated red and white blots on tiles that point to a blend problem, even with tiles of matching art sets. They mostly appear on tundra and desert in my game.
Gathered in this thread I see different type of graphical imperfections, some of them have nothing to do with this blend problem, others do. In that respect it's a bit a of a mess, this thread.

Here I've got a better example of what's going on:

The affected tiles are both marsh tiles. They couldn't be blended in for some reason, so a red and white checkerboard gets drawn. This checkerboard is just there to prevent the game from crashing, but the initial problem is a blend problem.

I have this red/white checkered bug problem as well - but I do not think it is related to specific tiles - as I experience it mostly in the end of a huge game with numerous units. I've come to believe it's a sign of memory issues. As the checker texture will appear over any type of tile. Sometimes zooming in and out can force the game to reupdate textures and the checkers disappear.

I run civ5 on both mac and pc - and have experienced this problem in both versions.

Never experienced those semi-circles in the first post tho. Wonder why? :confused:

Yes, the visual result is similar, but the problem you have is definitely a problem of your system struggling with the game, which is quite different from what's going on in that screenshot of mine.
In the technical support form part there is indeed a thread about your type of problem, the screenshots posted there should look even more like what you're seeing in your game.

What are those strange looking red icons that I can see every so often?
Could it be they are marking an as yet undiscovered resource??

What are those strange looking red icons that I can see every so often?
Could it be they are marking an as yet undiscovered resource??

Thems the ones.

-> Moderator Action: Threads merged.

I will post my dxdiags in that thread - thank you.

Thanks, but I don't think it's necessary.
The problem is not really a graphical problem, at least not related to your graphics card or system, but it's a problem with the map generator, which doesn't place the right graphics (and the missing graphics appear read).

-> Moderator Action: Threads merged.

Thanks, but I don't think it's necessary.
The problem is not really a graphical problem, at least not related to your graphics card or system, but it's a problem with the map generator, which doesn't place the right graphics (and the missing graphics appear read).

Thanks for the merge - appreciAted.
I've done the DXDiags report anyway, as I also get that blasted checkerboard thing too.
In all honesty, it is making the game unplayable & I think I will be asking for my money back as it is certainly nothing wrong with the system.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    88.3 KB · Views: 198
I somehow always assumed, it was not some sort of strange bug in the graphics, but intended to reflect the way some area's of tundra have some natural red vegetation growing there. I'm not saying my assumption was correct, it just made me giggle a little to myself, the way it had never seemed that unnatural or weird to me. :)

just to show what I am talking about I have added a link to a picture I googled just now:

http://www.terragalleria.com/images/np-alaska/dena21039.jpeg

But there's no way I can be sure about my personal assumptions, so can't someone just ask the guy who designed the textures for all the tundra tiles whether this was intentional, or is that an odd thing to suggest?

I'm not sure if this helps in the discussion or not:
I am also getting the red blotches, only on tundra, but I'm running the game on a Mac...therefore different graphics cards etc.

Top Bottom