Weird red terrain blotches, no antialiasing?

Machines range from low end to very high end of specs - so I'd regard it mostly as a limitation of the game's graphics engine - the only thing everyone has in common are intel processors - but thats not terribly surprising given the market share.

Well, I have AMD, and have those blotches too.

My configuration:
AMD Phenom II X3 720 (2.8 Ghz)
4 Gb RAM
ATi 5850 1 Gb
Windows Vista 32bit SP1
(=> DX9)

A comment in "MapGenerator.lua":

-- Each plot has a continent art type. Mixing and matching these could look
-- extremely bad, but there is nothing technical to prevent it. The worst
-- that will happen is that it can't find a blend and draws red checkerboards.

So those red blotches are likely some placeholder graphic for faulty map-generation scripts. Not a result of video card / drivers / some such error.

PS. Well, I can comment on the demo only still.
Can't understand, how they didn't find those blotches in the demo, as there is only one pre-generated map...

I don't think that's it, if you save/load, they move around or disappear entirely.

Do you guys think this is a fixable bug? Via new drivers or Game patches?

I will be honest, it has me putting the game on hold til a patch. It just shatters the immersion for me. I dont want to be glarringly reminded I am playing a game when I am trying to enjoy my game, if that makes sense.

Ok I fixed my problem. I found out that even though I have a DirectX10.1 card and DirectX 10.1, I needed to download the windows platform update to get DirectX 11.0 (I already had Vista SP2), so that Civ could use Direct X 10.............................

Anyway, once I ran it with DirectX 10 all the red blotches are gone. Finished, disappeared.

Link: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1141124&postcount=16

Can someone else try this to confirm it fixes the problem?

I am seeing these splotches on Dx11 Win7 64 - but they look more pinkish. I have the latest Dx and drivers.

Rat

Same here, on a low end machine running directx9

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    48.3 KB · Views: 94
I'm fiddling with the CiV tutorials before I go to class, and I see odd red spots on the terrain sometimes--at least 2 separate instances so far.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

It's not a game-breakingly big deal, or anything, just...what the heck is that? A Pool of Blood resource for a secret vampire unit? :confused:

Also, it won't let me turn anti-aliasing on in the video settings. I'm pretty sure my graphics card can handle it, since it's a GTX 260. The option remains greyed out no matter how many other settings I mess with. Just updated my graphics drivers one or two days ago. Really disappointing, I bet the game would look a lot better in 8x MSAA. And I remember 2K Greg talking about antialiasing when he was doing his live stream, so what's the deal?

System specs:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: EP45-UD3P
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8190MB RAM
Display: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

I have fixed this problem by fixing my Steam.exe file. I had initially went to adjust the compat mode so that I could select DX10/11 as explained here: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88977 but what I did was deselect the compat mode altogether and when started the red blotches were gone along with some other DX issues like Red and White Checker board tiles. Hope this helps.
Please Note: It is critical you have Steam closed and even check your task Bar for the steam icon, right click and select exit and you should be good to go.

Regards
Doug
Steam ID: [i4Ni] **sHArK**

I have fixed this problem by fixing my Steam.exe file. I had initially went to adjust the compat mode so that I could select DX10/11 as explained here: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88977 but what I did was deselect the compat mode altogether and when started the red blotches were gone along with some other DX issues like Red and White Checker board tiles. Hope this helps.
Please Note: It is critical you have Steam closed and even check your task Bar for the steam icon, right click and select exit and you should be good to go.

Regards
Doug
Steam ID: [i4Ni] **sHArK**

The problem is with DX9 mode, if you kept playing in DX9 mode, you'd likely still see the blotches.

I am seeing these splotches in win 7 (64) and using the dx10/11 client. My steam.exe and civ5 are not (nor ever have been set to compatibility mode).

Rat

They are gone now that I updated my graphics card and reinstalled directx. Selected anti-aliasing and Directx 10/11 build of the game. Anti-aliasing probably doesn't matter.

But now I'm getting the second bug. The red transparent edges when terrain is loading. It's gone quick and doesn't bother me.

Light red blotches were on Tundra squares when I was placing Academy (and on other occasions). Suggested worker improvements have little white icons on tiles. Is the red blotch a variation of this?

I can confirm getting zorven's bug on one system (see-through red blotches) and solid blotches on another system. The first is running the DX11/10 version and the other the DX9 version, so this might be the same bug just looking different under different graphics modes?

Now I've seen them in white too.

I have seen this running under an 8800 in Direct X 9 only - did not notice it under Direct X 10. Just got a GTX 460, do not see it under DX 11.

Top Bottom