Welcome to Giant Earth Map (GEM)!

I first tried your mod about a month ago, and it pretty much single handedly revived my interest in Civ. While I haven't taken more than a quick glance at the new version yet, it looks to be great. The 200BC scenario in particualr seems like it'll be a lot of fun, and increasing unit movement speeds and adding production to water tiles was a good move.

There are a few things that I don't like (like the Longbowman's strength reduction), but those are pretty easily changed. All in all, you've done excellent work.

There are a few things that I don't like (like the Longbowman's strength reduction), but those are pretty easily changed. All in all, you've done excellent work.

Feel free to comment on the changes. I am willing and actually prepared to make changes after more gameplay feedback has been collected.

The reason I reduced the Longbowman's strength from 6 -> 5 and Crossbowman's melee bonus from 50% -> 25% is because I would like to reduce the advantage of these defense units, which I think they were too strong.

Just DLed v. 5.0, will post comment after some gameplay. (BTW, it's not yet listed as a New/Updated File nor in the DL Database.);)

(BTW, it's not yet listed as a New/Updated File nor in the DL Database.);)

What do you mean? I uploaded version 5 in the same DL database entry replacing the previous version. Should I do something to mark it as a new/updated file?

That's probably it: after uploading MOO2Civ (Patch4), which basically is a Full Install (i.e. complete modpack), I noticed it didn't show up as a new file; Moderators couldn't figure out why, but I reckon it's because I used the same page as for Patch3 - so I reuploaded using a new page and then it was fine. (But if you don't want to do that, entering a post on the New/Updated Files can get you in on the next frontpage survey by woodelf.)

Thanks for putting all the time and effort into creating this mod/map. I've really enjoyed playing on it, and it has made Civ IV far more enjoyable than it was before.

I do have some general comments/suggestions. First, I noticed that in changes to the units, the ranges of the air units was kept the same. I tend to increase the air unit range even in large or huge maps, as the game's given unit range is far too small to be realistic to how far real life air units could travel. With the giant sized map, this discrepency is far larger, so I would figure on at least doubling the range of most air units (missiles as well), if not tripling the jet age units and such.

Second, I noticed that the civs with dumby leaders (Australia, Hungary, etc.) have the city names and leader names, etc. of the dumby civ and not the civ you intended for them. I just want to give you a heads up to this, if you didn't already know.

Finally, I notice that in between the Phillipines and Guam, when I first load the map, there will be something akin to a red meshed hyperbola extending up from the map surface. It goes away after I load up the map more than once, and I can't put my finger on where I've seen this before (perhaps when I've tried hand drawing a map before or attempted changes on already existing map files??). Anyway, the main thing is that the map is exceptionally playable; I've taken the liberty of modding in the air unit changes on my computer but if you don't see the need it's most certainly not the most necessary thing in the world.

1stcontact2035

First, I noticed that in changes to the units, the ranges of the air units was kept the same. I tend to increase the air unit range even in large or huge maps, as the game's given unit range is far too small to be realistic to how far real life air units could travel. With the giant sized map, this discrepency is far larger, so I would figure on at least doubling the range of most air units (missiles as well), if not tripling the jet age units and such.
1stcontact2035

Thanks for your feedback. In regards to the air units, I tend to think the current range is suitable - during WW2, planes doesn't have such a long range of attack. It is also for gameplay reason that airplane's range cannot be too far - otherwise aircraft carrier would be useless.

Second, I noticed that the civs with dumby leaders (Australia, Hungary, etc.) have the city names and leader names, etc. of the dumby civ and not the civ you intended for them. I just want to give you a heads up to this, if you didn't already know.
I thought I have fixed that already. Probably I uploaded the wrong file or something - it could be those bugs you get when rushing to made the release date :crazyeye: Anywya, my plan is to review the civilization/leaderheads of GEM, possibly adding some true ones in v5.1.

Finally, I notice that in between the Phillipines and Guam, when I first load the map, there will be something akin to a red meshed hyperbola extending up from the map surface. It goes away after I load up the map more than once, and I can't put my finger on where I've seen this before (perhaps when I've tried hand drawing a map before or attempted changes on already existing map files??).
1stcontact2035
I've got no idea what it is.

New patch is out. If I download the new patch to play online games will all the mods I downloaded no longer work since I might download the new patch?

New patch is out. If I download the new patch to play online games will all the mods I downloaded no longer work since I might download the new patch?

Yes, in deed. Will need to check out if GEM v5 is compatible with the new patch.

I like the many changes, dont see any problems yet with them, the change of coast and ocean is very nice, so you can finally do something with those cities on islands or with cities with too many water squares :)

I'm sorry, but i have to tell you that GEM and the new official Patch 3.17 for BtS does not work any longer. Game Crashes after Initializing.

This happens with my GEM 4.2 while loading a saved GEM Multiplayer Game and also on starting a new SinglePlayer Game

Thanks for Help,

Ciao, SAF

OH well. That means if I download the patch my current game will probably not work even though it's not a earth game. In my current game Im playing as the roman. Israel is surrounded by Saddam Hussein, Adolph Hitler and the Iranian leader. lol I will wait until eznaz mod is updated, hitler mod, iranian mod and giant earth map is updated before I download this new patch.

the 200 bc mod is great.

I'm sorry, but i have to tell you that GEM and the new official Patch 3.17 for BtS does not work any longer. Game Crashes after Initializing.

This happens with my GEM 4.2 while loading a saved GEM Multiplayer Game and also on starting a new SinglePlayer Game

Thanks for Help,

Ciao, SAF

Sad to know, but somewhat expected (more work more work) :(

How do you update a scenario to the new patch? Do you have to load the patch and then just the whole scenario?!

How do you update a scenario to the new patch? Do you have to load the patch and then just the whole scenario?!

Checking the change log with the new patch, there seems to be a lot of adjustments on the xml files as well. This means the general modifications I've made for v5 would need to be redone on the xml files coming with the new patch. Moreover, I will need to modify the new CvGameCoreDLL.dll file to enables 40civs to be played simultaneously.

But I don't think we will need to do anything at the scenario level, unless you also have some modification of your own.

Well, yes I have changed some XML files in my scenario, I guess it's actually a mod. So, I just have to redo them?

I've not done any own modifications. Simply GEM 4.2 for itself does not run any longer.

Are there no problems with GEM 5.0

SAF

I've not done any own modifications. Simply GEM 4.2 for itself does not run any longer.

Are there no problems with GEM 5.0

SAF

Do you mean GEM 5.0 can actually run on patch 3.17?

Genghis_Kai thank you for the time and effort first off. I have installed 3.17 and just wandering how soon you estimate it will be when you update GEM for it?
Also with 2.5GB of ram what is the longest you could possibly think a in depth game could take between turns?

Top Bottom