Welcome to Giant Earth Map (GEM)!

Ace, you must be using Visual Studio 2005 then. It's caused by failure to conform to standard C++ for-scope behaviour. You can actually compile the game with VS2005, but it will crash upon loading.

Yes, that's it. However, I do have VS2003 (and possibly VS2008) available, too. I guess, I'll try with VS2003 then, once I get home.

Thanks for pointing this out, this would not have occured to me otherwise that the failure was VS2005 related.

Best Regards,
Ace

Ace, you must be using Visual Studio 2005 then. It's caused by failure to conform to standard C++ for-scope behaviour. You can actually compile the game with VS2005, but it will crash upon loading.

Mmm... I only have VS2005. Is there anyway I can work around it?

I'm not aware of a way to make Civ4 work with VS2005. To compile successfully, you just need to turn off for-loop conformance:

In that screen, the for loop conformance setting should be "no". That makes the SDK compile but BtS will crash as soon as you try to start a new game or load a save. And sadly I don't know anyone who has managed to get it working with 2005.

I'm not aware of a way to make Civ4 work with VS2005. To compile successfully, you just need to turn off for-loop conformance:

In that screen, the for loop conformance setting should be "no". That makes the SDK compile but BtS will crash as soon as you try to start a new game or load a save. And sadly I don't know anyone who has managed to get it working with 2005.

Thanks Solver. I also have VS6. Would that help?

Anyway, I think I probably will wait for someone else to do the 40civ fix and then update GEM for 3.1.7.

VS6 wouldn't help either; that's too old to compile Civ4 on. I haven't actually tried it, but there are far more differences between VS6 and VS2003 than there are between VS2003 and VS2005.

As I just upgraded to 3.17, I successfully compiled Solver's unofficial patch 0.19 after changing the maximum number of players to 40 and used it as DLL for GEM v5. Many thanks to Solver for providing me with the info how to compile it.

Seems to work just fine - I hope it's okay to post it. If you encounter any errors, please let me know, then I must have made some mistake compiling.

Best Regards,
Ace

Attachments

• CvGameCore_Solver_019_40_players.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 321
Update: It seems I am able to load older savegames from GEM that were created with 3.13 even after updating to 3.17 with the new DLL.

Best Regards,
Ace

That should work. At least, it did for me... I would backup your old file first, though - just in case my DLL does not work. It has not been tested intensively, however some quick tests proved no errors so far (played for about 2 hours).

Best Regards,
Ace

Ace, that was with VS2003 after all, right?

As I just upgraded to 3.17, I successfully compiled Solver's unofficial patch 0.19 after changing the maximum number of players to 40 and used it as DLL for GEM v5. Many thanks to Solver for providing me with the info how to compile it.

Seems to work just fine - I hope it's okay to post it. If you encounter any errors, please let me know, then I must have made some mistake compiling.

Best Regards,
Ace

Thanks!:goodjob::goodjob:

Ace, that was with VS2003 after all, right?

Yep, it was VS2003.NET (seems the .NET part does not cause any trouble). I really had no problems at all, it was basically just changing the player numbers to 40 and hitting the "build" button.

By the way, I compiled this in release mode... does it make any difference?

You're welcome :)

Best Regards,
Ace

By release you mean Final Release, right?

Well, I had "Release" "Final Release" "Debug" and "Final Debug" available from the dropdown menu for configuration. I chose "Release".

I'm not sure if it makes a great difference, though. I just had to rename the DLL because VS appended "RELEASE" to the filename.

Best Regards,
Ace

:eek:
I guess i was fortunate to read these forums before i got any patches.I only have 3.13 version as thats the one GK used for his mod.I dont play online so its no biggie for me to get the latest patch although i have it saved ready to use.

Joshua

Ace, you should ideally use the Final Release version, it would be slightly slicker.

Here's a DLL of Better BTS AI v0.21 (includes Solvers Inofficial Patch 0.19) for 40 players, for use with GEM - compiled "final release" this time. It worked for me, but as always, backup your old file first.

Best Regards,
Ace

Attachments

• CvGameCoreDLL_BTS_AI_021_40pl.rar
    951.9 KB · Views: 211
Ok I guys I am getting a bit confused.

I want to patch to 3.17 but have been waiting so I can play GEM.

If I patch today, and apply Solver's patch, which additional files do I have to add to keep GEM working?

Thanks....

Top Bottom