• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What additional civilizations would you like to see in Civilization V

What additional civilizations would you like to see in Civilization V?

• Total voters
Australia! It's an entire freakin' continent with no representation in the game!

Imagine this as the soundtrack while you play as an Australian civ:

Link to video.

entirely different sites and smells...

I would disagree with your choice of Inuit as the representative civilization for SA/NW North America. Before their culture was significantly changed by the Europeans, they were nomadic, and though they manage to thrive - amazingly - in arctic conditions, there isn't much that they would add to Civ in terms of actual civilization (the building of monuments, long-lasting settlements, culture, law, art, religion, warfare.) I'm not saying they don't have any of these things, I'm saying that they are not what I would consider a 'civilization' for the purposes of this game.
Instead, I suggest using the Haida or perhaps one of the Salish peoples (or just use 'Salish'). The Haida in particular built long-lasting settlements, created very beautiful artwork, traded and fought along the coast for hundreds of miles, and had a culture that could be more accurately called a civilization in the way Westerners use that word today. These people were able to devote far more resources to nonessential things - like art - than were the Inuit, and at its heart, I think, civilization is the ability to create things that are nonessential for survival of the individual or group.

EDIT: Oh, wow, this is a poll. Well, I vote Other North American Native civs - Haida.

I'm absolutely OK with this. I don't actually have a personal preference for the cultural group that is used so much as I feel there's a need for representation of the geographical region and the varied cultures that existed there. The reason I chose the Inuit is because it's more widely recognizable by most of the world. This may not be the most politically correct reasoning, but I do feel like it will help more players feel a sense of connection with the Civ. Originally I wanted to suggest an "Eskimo" civ as the term (in the US) is used to refer to the Inuit, the Aleuts, and the Yupik--but I've recently found out that this term is considered a racial slur by many of these culture groups. Of those three, the Inuit are the most easily recognizable.

I share your concerns about the definition of "civilization" and how it might not match up with the more nomadic culture of the Inuit (as I mentioned in my first post, this is one of the reasons I ruled out other possibilities in Central Asia and South America). This is where an executive decision has to be made, I think. Do we go for a group of people that is most easily recognizable by most people as representative of a certain culture, or do we go with a group of people that more closely fits our definition of civilization?

There are pros and cons to each option--but let's think about gameplay:

With the Inuit you have an easy UU: The Qamutik (which could function as a scout or as a chariot replacement).
With the Inuit you have an easy UB: The Inukshuk (which could replace the monument).
With the Haida you have an easy list of cities.
With the Haida you have an early political system and organized set of beliefs which could lead to an easy UA.

It's not an easy answer, but I still feel like the Inuit is a more likely choice considering how recognizable they are as a cultural group to the majority of the world. However, I'd be perfectly happy to see any of these groups filling the gap on the map.

Australia! It's an entire freakin' continent with no representation in the game!

Imagine this as the soundtrack while you play as an Australian civ:

Link to video.

entirely different sites and smells...

THIS would be a soundtrack! :lol:

Something that I really would like to hear, makes you fell comfortable and relaxed.

Wow, Portugal took the lead with 95 votes, while the Zulus and Indonesia are with 94
Not that surprising of course that it's popular... but still, it was around 15 votes behind a couple months ago
Also, in the other thread Indonesia still has almost twice as many votes:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=460012

I agree, I also prefer ancient and medieval civs
And based on the poll, the majority of the cfc members also thinks this way
Brazil seems to be very popular though

I agree, I also prefer ancient and medieval civs
And based on the poll, the majority of the cfc members also thinks this way
Brazil seems to be very popular though

Brazil is that last of the BRIC countries to be represented, but also the one with the least history. The only reason it would really be introduced in that it is a BRIC country. The main reason for its economic success at the moment is it's huge size, population and abundance of natural resources rather than anything particularly special, all of which can be accredited to Portugal a few hundred years ago....

So i'm all for older civs as well :) And especially native american ones!!! There is a severe lack of representation given the vast history they have.

I share your concerns about the definition of "civilization" and how it might not match up with the more nomadic culture of the Inuit (as I mentioned in my first post, this is one of the reasons I ruled out other possibilities in Central Asia and South America)

This is a colossal generalisation. Civilisation has existed in the Andean highlands, particularly in Peru for thousands of years and Central Asia is home to the oldest inhabited cities in the entire world.

How many times can I click the 'other central asian' one? There's a whole heap of great civ possibilities in what's now India that are currently very poorly represented by an ancient war elephant, a mughal UB and a modern leader. Get the Mughals or Harappans in at least, but there's loads to choose from.

I also voted for the Phoenicians but I think Carthage is too close, same with Mali and Songhai. Imo Babylon reprenets all the really ancient Mesopotamian ones and wouldn't like to see Sumer etc. added to an already crowded region with persian, arabians, ottomans, byzantium..........

Lastly also voted 'other' for an australia. Don Bradman unique great artist.

I vote Inuit, because it would be cool to have more cold region civs in-game, especially if they had a bonus for snow and tundra tiles.

Though they weren't really an empire, I'd think they qualify as a civilization.

Besides, what is Civilization about if not leading a nation through an alternate turn of events?

Would love to see the Koori or Australia... something to flesh out the world map. This continent needs some representation!!
Also wouldn't mind seeing a Melonesia, incorporating Papua New Guinea and other south west pacific cultures.

Not Poland, solely because of the hilarious reaction to Poland not being in Beyond the Sword. A repeat of that would be fantastic.

Pff, this is just sad...
PS: I didn't vote for Poland, but still annoying to see these kind of posts :p

This is a colossal generalisation. Civilisation has existed in the Andean highlands, particularly in Peru for thousands of years and Central Asia is home to the oldest inhabited cities in the entire world.

Well, yeah, except the game already has representation in both of those regions... I'm not sure what point you're trying to argue here. I'm absolutely open to more liberal interpretations of what constitutes a "civilization", but Civ tends to stick to a more traditional and conservative approach which requires settled cities, agriculture, trade, technological advancement that has a significant impact on one's life, and a consistent identity. These are traits that nomadic tribes sometimes have a few of, but rarely all of (especially that of founding cities).

This isn't an argument that has a clear-cut answer, but you seem to be attacking my point without really saying anything I hadn't already addressed.

Well, yeah, except the game already has representation in both of those regions... I'm not sure what point you're trying to argue here. I'm absolutely open to more liberal interpretations of what constitutes a "civilization", but Civ tends to stick to a more traditional and conservative approach which requires settled cities, agriculture, trade, technological advancement that has a significant impact on one's life, and a consistent identity. These are traits that nomadic tribes sometimes have a few of, but rarely all of (especially that of founding cities).

This isn't an argument that has a clear-cut answer, but you seem to be attacking my point without really saying anything I hadn't already addressed.

The game has the Inca for the whole of South America, and the game has Persia and Mongolia for the largest region in the world. I would hardly call that representation.

My argument is that there are far more traditional interpretations of what constitutes a "civilisation" in both areas. You appeared to be discounting all else as nomadic, but this is entirely wrong. There are indeed nomadic tribes, but i don't propose these be given any special dispensation to be classified as civilisation. I simply wished to bring to your attention the fact that there are a number of other civilisations present in these regions that could easily fit the format of the game and they are certainly not nomadic.

Looks like Zulu, Portugal, Majapahit, Sumer, Kongo, Poland, Brazil, North American native civs and Hittites are in the lead. I'm guessing these 9 Civs are most likely being added in One World. Looks like really solid line-up for me. :D (Green ones are Legacy Civs having been in earlier Civ games/Scenarios.)

I'm a bit surprised Khmer haven't got more votes than 62, being one of the few legacy Civs not yet in the game. Also a bit disappointing to see that neither Khazars or Other South Asian civs aren't doing well.

The game has the Inca for the whole of South America, and the game has Persia and Mongolia for the largest region in the world. I would hardly call that representation.

My argument is that there are far more traditional interpretations of what constitutes a "civilisation" in both areas. You appeared to be discounting all else as nomadic, but this is entirely wrong. There are indeed nomadic tribes, but i don't propose these be given any special dispensation to be classified as civilisation. I simply wished to bring to your attention the fact that there are a number of other civilisations present in these regions that could easily fit the format of the game and they are certainly not nomadic.

True. I agree.

Mali is also missing from the legacy civs, and they doing worse than the Khmer
Probably because of the overlap with the Songhai... nevertheless, I think it could be easily solved to have both Mali and Songhai in
All the gold focus and Mansa Musa would make them an awesome civ

The Sioux were in a civ game too (2 or 3, not sure ATM), though some of the other NA candidates might be better
Comanche, Apache/Navajo, many good choices there...

PS: Majapahit (or any Indonesian civ) is not a legacy civ
Not yet ;)

Yeah, Mansa Musa of Mali was great new Civ/leader in IV. But because of Songhai many didn't vote for them here. I think Mansa could make a re-appearance in Civ6, for CiV he is not needed, imho.

The Sioux were in CivII. Sitting Bull would look awesome with his war paint, feather headdress and peace pipe in hand. Perhaps some Buffaloes roaming in the background, a few teepee's with smoke gently rising from the tops. Eagle flying in the distance. :)

I hope there will at least one new Native American Civ, let it be Sioux or someone else. Many great choices; Mississippi, Comanche, Cherokee, Apache, Anasazi even Seminole or Inuit.

PS: Majapahit (or any Indonesian civ) is not a legacy civ
Not yet ;)

They were in CivIII scenario, hence I counted them as a Legacy Civ. :)

Top Bottom