What after the New Frontier Pass - the end or more

The most important points from this interview:https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...d-on-another-players-tile-from-being-annoying
About NFP model
Our player engagement, the impact on numbers of players month-by-month, have shown that people are staying with it over this whole calendar of releases.

With these monthly releases, they can play the game, experience it, and discuss it while we're still making parts of the pass. But we still have the opportunity to update whatever they're talking about. It's something that I hope we get to make even tighter - that feedback loop moving forward into the future.

About the future of Civ VI
We had a very fully-featured base game, not just with civs and leaders, but also with lots of game systems. (...) I'm really happy with where it is in terms of features. My mind is shifting towards, okay, let's focus on balance right now.

We don't have any concrete plans for the future right now.
Yeah, sure you don't ;)

The most important points from this interview:https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...d-on-another-players-tile-from-being-annoying
About NFP model

About the future of Civ VI

Yeah, sure you don't ;)

Kevin directly calls April “the final game update” in that interview though:

“We're not talking about the future of Civ at the moment. We are focused on the Portugal pack. We also have a really great final game update coming out in April. It's going to be a pretty beefy pack, very full of some things we also can't talk about at the moment.”

Since I always suspected NFP was it for Civ6, I'm inclined to take him at his word.
I think he means that if he truly hasn't "any concrete plans for the future right now", then there won't be a civ7 or a spinoff before 5 or 6 years. Or he's changing team/job inside Firaxis.

I think he means that if he truly hasn't "any concrete plans for the future right now", then there won't be a civ7 or a spinoff before 5 or 6 years. Or he's changing team/job inside Firaxis.
Except he was asked specifically about Civ6, though now I also see that he specifically said he couldn't comment so...But I still believe there will be no additional content for Civ6 after April.

Reactions: tzu
Except he was asked specifically about Civ6, though now I also see that he specifically said he couldn't comment so...But I still believe there will be no additional content for Civ6 after April.
I don't think they can release something bug free in April, especially if it's big, there will surely be another patch, but, yeah, later, low priority, no additional content and fitting "no concret plans right now for civ6", they'll need our bug reports first :D

There is NDA. Even if he knows what is in future plans he won't say it in a press interview. ;) So there is no need to split hairs and analyze every single word here.
But why would he lie there ? They always answer "we can't say" when they don't have the right to talk about their plans.

And as we know they can't say it directly, we analyse the indirect meaning of each word, as usual on CFC.

I really hope this is the end of CIV VI as in additional content. Let's just focus on fixing bugs and move on to a new project (with perhaps new/better engine).

But why would he lie there ? They always answer "we can't say" when they don't have the right to talk about their plans.

And as we know they can't say it directly, we analyse the indirect meaning of each word, as usual on CFC.
I think it is splitting hairs ;) We know that for now, they have nothing to announce beyond the April patch.

Every tender bit of guidance they give is most often buried by layers of wishful thinking and so I appreciate it immensely, that they try it again and again ... :thumbsup:;)
Except he was asked specifically about Civ6
100%
Ok.

Strenger:
[...] So, I'm really happy with where it [civ6] is in terms of features. My mind is shifting towards [civ7], okay, let's focus on balance right now.

What I'm getting at is are you going to do another pass. Can you say that at this point?
[Heavy misinterpretation, how continue now?!]

Strenger:
We cannot, no. We don't have any concrete [civ6] plans for the future right now.

I understand he feels the rollout of the New Frontier expansion in April is the biggest community event this year for civ6fans (and marks for himself the point in time where he can focus completely on civ7).
I don't think they can release something bug free in April, especially if it's big, there will surely be another patch, but, yeah, later, low priority, no additional content and fitting "no concret plans right now for civ6", they'll need our bug reports first :D
Yeah, it will be BIG, with extra surprises ("We are not done!", at least the world editor) ... so the phase of open testing [edit: of components] comes to an end ... patch probably in September -- just in time to the end of the current five years plan.

Last edited:
It's the same wording as they use when asked about DLL if I recall correctly,
The wording is similar to that when (IIRC) Anton was asked about DLL, but the context was completely different ...

2K president David Ismailer said in context of plans how to grow, evaluate development partners (eg. Firaxis) "You go to an amusement park, the more rides they have, the longer you stay there. Then sometimes the amusement park has a nighttime event and I stay until that event; they keep me in there. And occasionally they build a new roller coaster, and I come back to experience that roller coaster. We're building our games in the same way. We need live events, we need post-launch content, we need to keep the consumer engaged once they get in."
So this may mean they want to sell us the software they buy from Firaxis not as sole product packages, but as kind of a service or lifestyle. Something like assisted playing (cf. sheltered accommodation). But what can I know? I'm just a simple engineer.

In the concrete case I suppose, 2k wants to deliver balance changes Firaxis has been sitting on for a long time in a great civ6 community event on April 29th to all of us and wants us to enter the local amusement park at nighttime, build a new roller coaster and come back to experience that roller coaster? And download the patch?? Here I'm lost.
Still I would love a civ6 spin-off Railroad Tycoon or (if must be) Rollercoaster Tycoon. I need live events, post-launch content, I need to be kept engaged 24/7 ...

Last edited:
Reactions: PiR
Top Bottom