What alphabet will the team use for patches after 'z'?

What's up with these boring suggestions, anyway?

I'd suggest moving on to plants after letters, starting with a very small kind of plant right after version z - say, a version named after some sort of algae - then moving upwards in size as the versions increase, stopping by such wonderful version as version carrot, version tulip and version potato, then reaching even further and paying homage to lovely trees, such as the humble dwarf birch, the proud larch and finally ending somewhere around the mighty coastal redwood.

Then, it's a simple matter to move on to mushrooms, animals, and whatever else seems like a good idea at the time.

I'd like installing the pumpkin patch.

(Seconded?)

So far BCalchet's suggestion is my favorite, followed by Cardoc's.

and then you can go '가,' '나,' '다' in Korean

Why not choose the name of the new unitart, or major fix of the patch? Patch z will become Patch Herald, and patch y would have been patch citydefense, or patch nerfingtsunami,patch x = patch stealfix, patch w = patch thegrey, etc..
We could know in a glimpse if there's a new patch, and what's in it, like shaking a birthday present to guess before scratching the paper.

What's up with these boring suggestions, anyway?

I'd suggest moving on to plants after letters, starting with a very small kind of plant right after version z - say, a version named after some sort of algae - then moving upwards in size as the versions increase, stopping by such wonderful version as version carrot, version tulip and version potato, then reaching even further and paying homage to lovely trees, such as the humble dwarf birch, the proud larch and finally ending somewhere around the mighty coastal redwood.

Then, it's a simple matter to move on to mushrooms, animals, and whatever else seems like a good idea at the time.

Almost good.

We definitely should abandon letters... But plants!? Anticlimatic!

We should move to sinister codenames! Like: FFH 0.4 "Grim Reaper" or FFH 0.4 "Evil Dead" or something.

Well, as a quick patch up solution you could go on and release patch æ, ø and å!! The doviello will be pleased, oh yes they will...

but that doesnt provicde an order or a content clue
Of course it does. Evil Dead is obviously a higher version than, for example, Grim Reaper. When we start approaching Lord of the Rings, we know that we're approaching the 'z' of the movie industry.

:)

Mmm, I second the Hangul suggestion ^^

Although, "version alligator" sounds pretty sweet.

Or they could start using subtitles like wretched PC games do.

For example -- 0.40z_the_reckoning

or 0.04z_visible_chests

That way the patch name could also call attention to the most significant change in the patch!

On second thought, that is a horrible idea. Please forget what I just said and instead think about [insert witty comment here].

I do sort of like the Dr. Suess idea, though. Patch 0.04spazz sounds like fun.

"I was gonna get a candy bar; the button I was supposed to push was "HH", so I went to the side, I found the "H" button, I pushed it twice. . .. .. .. .in' potato chips came out, man, 'cause they had a "HH" button, for Christ's sakes! You need to let me know. I'm not familiar with the concept of "HH". I did not learn my AA-BB-CC's. God god, dammit dammit."
- Mitch Hedberg

We could both have a patch number/letter and a codename.

Now, we have all these wonderful arguments that place people in opposite sides and keep this thread going on, and you come with a copromising proposition...Tsk Tsk :p

Oh my, someone please stop the thread killer! :ar15:

Now, wait a minute, that's... me. :eek:

I second lutefisk's suggestion.

Oh my, someone please stop the thread killer! :ar15:

Now, wait a minute, that's... me. :eek:

So you want me to kill you?:mischief:

but that doesnt provicde an order or a content clue

Do we really need to know the order of the patches? There's only one downloadable patch at a time, if you want to keep a log of wich patch come before another for yourself, you can do it with the creation date of the file.
All I want to know when I go to the first page of the bug thread is: "is the new patch release, or not?"
Whichever way Kael feels it must be done, my only wish is to be able to see without effort if the patch is new or not.

Do we really need to know the order of the patches?

Yes. We do.

Any ideas involving pumpkins or alligators are silly. This is almost as bad as Apple naming versions of their OS after cats.

Save the cool ideas for things IN the mod, please.
Just use proper, industry standard version numbering for patches and such.

my vote is phonetically redo the English alphabet, ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, DELTA, ECHO, etc. or just add another letter, or use capitol letters if you want to be boring.

Top Bottom