What are you hoping/expecting to find out at PAX?

Given that PAX is so close to the announcement, I'm not expecting much new information, just a restatement of what was said in all the interviews consolidated into one place.

I doubt that they'd miss the opportunity at PAX to reveal more than Poland (And the potential Assyrians)

at least 2 more civs revealed and a demo of how the new trade routes and tourism work in the late game

I would also be surprised if they didn't have a presence at PAX. At the very least, one would expect that they'll be showing it behind closed doors.

Firaxis is having a joint XCom and Civ panel

That city states actually do something i.e. have their own agenda.

I want a short video showing the leader selection screen, the city screen with one or two new buildings and wonders and the policy screen, and I want the cursor to briefly pass some the new buildings/wonders/policies so we can spend a weekend analysing it frame by frame to catch the tooltips.

I hope they how us at least some new civs other then Poland, maybe confirm Assyria and show another one(hopefully not the obvious Portugal or Zulu).
Compared to G&K the BNW reveal showed us not so many civs(G&K revealed Celts, Maya, Dutch and Byzantium right away, while BNW only revealed Poland and a hint of Assyria), I hope they'll show more at PAX.

I doubt that they'd miss the opportunity at PAX to reveal more than Poland (And the potential Assyrians)

I could see the Assyrians because they've already teased that.

I want a short video showing the leader selection screen, the city screen with one or two new buildings and wonders and the policy screen, and I want the cursor to briefly pass some the new buildings/wonders/policies so we can spend a weekend analysing it frame by frame to catch the tooltips.

Exactly this! Who needs them to tell us any concrete info when we can have much more fun picking apart and analyzing badly pixellated tooltips and half-seen text from low res videos? I would much rather see a dozen new screenshots for us to coo over than for them to come out and outright tell us the remaining civs, wonders etc.

Seriously, I expect we won't see much in terms of gameplay changes. They'll probably just be repeating what we heard in the recent press releases. I dare say they'll confirm 1-2 more civs, probably Assyria as they're all-but confirmed anyway and maybe choose to announce one more civ they know will stir things up a bit. They'd certainly get a BIG reaction if they confirmed the Zulu, although given the fan demand for them, they'd probably also get a big reaction from confirming Indonesia or Kongo too.

I would love to know more about... well, about everything. But if I would have to pick a favourite pet peeve of mine, I would like if they clarify some of the most obscure mechanics. I mean, we already got a pretty good idea of how caravans work, and the new civs are just that: new civs, that is more of the same (it is not as if there were not already different civilizations present).

That being said, I would like to know about the following:

- How will exactly the whole "Ideological tennet" work, and its relation to Social Policies and diplomacy. Are they new SP to "buy" with your culture or what?

- How does tourism and the whole "offensive culture througth tourism" thing work. Does it relates only to diplomatic victory or does it presents another advantages? How do you make your culture to "infect" other people¡s culture and which effects does it produces?

- Which things you can do in the world congress and how it will relate to the new diplomatic victory. Is every option of the world congress unlocked from the beggining?

- Will old civilization's traits be reworked in order to better exploit the new mechanics? (see also: Dutch and Arabian UA's)

I'm expecting a presentation on trade. It is the system with the most moving parts due to the multiple trade routes and actually map movements. It would benefit most from video in showing the trade routes in action to discuss pathing and defense and range. I also think its the easiest not to get pidgeonholed into numbers. Its yields vary greatly anyway so numbers are far more vague.

Other than that one or two civs and details, maybe have a civ with trade be in the demo, and something on archaeology. It would be really cool if they did a 2 part demo showing early and late trade routes and have to fight barbarians then later have that be a dig site

There's still 4-6 more months to go. The flow of information is going to be a dribble at this point. Just enough to keep us excited. They may say the name of the civ who has the siege tower unit (Assyria). I just hope they have a teaser video or a few more screenshots to show.

There's still 4-6 more months to go. The flow of information is going to be a dribble at this point. Just enough to keep us excited. They may say the name of the civ who has the siege tower unit (Assyria). I just hope they have a teaser video or a few more screenshots to show.

6 months would put the release in late September, that is not going to happen and doesn't fit in with the release patterns in the slightest way.

Following the announcement of expansion packs they generally release them about 4 months after. Beyond the Sword and Warlords were announced at a similar time and were released in the last couple of weeks of July, Gods & Kings was announced a month earlier and was in turn, released a month earlier. They aren't going to sudden change their ways and leave us hanging for 6 months, Brave New World will almost certainly be released before the end of July and probably the week of the 22nd of July.

As a side note, they'll probably demonstrate some gameplay features, with one or two new Civilizations directly shown and a sneaky one hidden in a screen or a video. They generally have a trickle of information, but Civilizations aren't the only thing to give us, last time they revealed some Civilizations long before their leader, UA, etc, but they'll likely keep it interesting for the next 4 months before announcing pretty much everything a few weeks before release.

6 months would put the release in late September, that is not going to happen and doesn't fit in with the release patterns in the slightest way.

Last year they said Spring and released G&K 2 days before the end of Spring. This time they say Summer. Summer ends September 20th, 6 months from now. I consider it an outside possibility, but quite legitimate, that they could sit on it until September 18th. And I think the features in BNW sound more complex, so the extra development time could be necessary.

Last year they said Spring and released G&K 2 days before the end of Spring. This time they say Summer. Summer ends September 20th, 6 months from now. I consider it an outside possibility, but quite legitimate, that they could sit on it until September 18th. And I think the features in BNW sound more complex, so the extra development time could be necessary.

Alternatively they could have said Summer because July is in Summer.

It'll be the last weeks of July, quote me on that.

Exactly this! Who needs them to tell us any concrete info when we can have much more fun picking apart and analyzing badly pixellated tooltips and half-seen text from low res videos? I would much rather see a dozen new screenshots for us to coo over than for them to come out and outright tell us the remaining civs, wonders etc.

Seriously, I expect we won't see much in terms of gameplay changes. They'll probably just be repeating what we heard in the recent press releases. I dare say they'll confirm 1-2 more civs, probably Assyria as they're all-but confirmed anyway and maybe choose to announce one more civ they know will stir things up a bit. They'd certainly get a BIG reaction if they confirmed the Zulu, although given the fan demand for them, they'd probably also get a big reaction from confirming Indonesia or Kongo too.

I'd say the actual reaction to the Zulus is going to be quite small, despite being in high demand. Mainly because we all know what the Zulu will be and there is nothing new or intriguing about them.
The smart thing would be to reveal some civ we know nothing about, a civ that would get peoples interest, something to fuel discussions.
People are going to be more intrigued if they have a screenshot or a preview and then Greg says something like: "And here we have a demonstration of the Winged Hussar against the Burmese Royal Cavalry(just a ramdom example civ)."
Just one line like that is going to make speculations go rampant. My hopes are they reveal/tease some newcomer, somebody obscure rather then the old Zulu/Portugal.

They have plenty to reveal to have a major reveal now. Lets say they do my idea and focus on trade as a good gameplay example with easy to change numbers. Have Portugal in the game, sicne people already are sure it is in, and reveal only its UA and Leader. Say Assyria is in and reveal Siege tower basics. You still have all the real juicy civ debate by getting rid of the known and spark debate on the unrevealed aspects of those two civs. And that doesn't even get into speculation on changes to existing civs.

Also keep in mind you have a mass of stuff to reveal. Yes we have figured out a bunch of wonders but WHAT do they do. A completely reworked social policy tree with two new branches AND ideologies to explore. The E3 demo could be all about ideologies and be a big hype machine. Then add in Tourism and archaeology. Still ahven't gotten to new units, tech changes, or espionage and religion.

On a side note how many big conventions with a history of Firaxis participation are between now and August. Chose august as a good middle date.

Well there's PAX East this month, E3 in June, and I think PAX is in July. There's also an Australian PAX somewhere in there. I don't know what else Firaxis/2K likes to attend.

Top Bottom