What Are You Listening To (Classical Version)?

I can just second mr. Kullervo in the hope that this year will be better than the previous one. It will not take much.
On an optimistic note I will start my posting this year with an uplifting symphony by Joseph Haydn; No. 60 "The Distracted"

Link to video.

Nightly, my roommate turns on the radio and we race... he tries to guess the composer and piece in less time than it takes "TrackID" on my mobile.

This was last night's: Brahms' Horn Trio
-- Roomate: 5 seconds
-- "Track ID:" 35 seconds

My roommate's the John Henry of musicology!

Link to video.

Here is 6 serenades by that fine Austrian Baroque composer Benedikt Anton Aufschnaiter from his Concors discordia. I think I posted a couple of those before, but here is the whole disc. A remarkable man as well, who wasn't afraid of standing up to his employer. Enjoy.

Link to video.

RIP Claudio Abbado. There are some performances of yours which have gotten me through pretty tough times, as angsty as that sounds. Here's one of them, and I hope this one gets remembered for centuries. Your rendition of Mahler's 9th was endlessly delicate, infinitely touching, and boundlessly sad and content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNNOZT0GC2k

Good choice. I've actually sang 'Leihermann' a few times, I have a rather strong attachment (and associations) with that song.

First of all, I don't know what happenedm but suddenly I was able to log in again. I will never understand how computers work...
Wagner? Not bad. Not bad at all.
As for me, I am exploring Baroque composers who deserve to be better known, starting with Fux:
[youtube=]ykKNXlw4ve0[/youtube]

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you... the Holy Grail. If you have any regard for Mahler at all, your personal second coming has occurred. The entirety of the legendary 1959 Royal Albert Hall performance has been uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rZeLxB8FYo

Listening right now to versions of Tarrega's Recuerdos de la Alhambra, my favorite classical guitar piece, and a sentimental one for me as well.

Anyhow, for anybody who cares, do you guys have some preferred versions of this song?

Since my wife and I are having our 12th anniversary today, I want to post a musical hommage to my lovely lady. And what is more fitting than one of the most beautiful compositions by the composer who to my mind was the greatest of all symphonists.

Link to video.

Top Bottom