1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you running Civ V on and how well does it work?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Carwyn, Sep 22, 2010.

1. JECTX

JECTX Chieftain

I'm running it on an E8400 @ 3.0 GHz (dual core if you didn't know) with a NVidia 9800 Gt 512 MB and 4 GB ram on Win 7 64bit.

If I turn off AA and have most of the graphics settings on medium the game will run smoothly on a huge map in dx11 mode.

2. Sc_0pe

Sc_0pe Chieftain

Athlon 64 (single core) (3000+) (2Ghz)
    1,5GB 333Mhz RAM
    Geforce 7800 GS (512)
    Windows XP

Playing at low-med the game runs as "playable".
    I haven't got to late game yet to see if it bogs my setup then though.

3. WuphonsReach

WuphonsReach Prince

With the WinXP DX9, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460 1GB and 1600x900 resolution, I'm seeing a pretty solid 60fps in FRAPS. That's with a large map, 8 civs, 20 city-states, and around 600 AD with close to a dozen cities of my own (and the other civs all have 8+ cities).

Settings are generally "medium" across the board. I expect to see worse performance once I uncover the entire map.

I would put 2GB RAM as a pretty important minimum for all but the smallest map type (and maybe the 2nd smallest). If you want to use the medium/large maps, you're going to need 3GB. And it's looking like you'll need 4GB+ (i.e. 64-bit Windows) for the huge maps. I'm seeing memory usage in the 1.3-1.5GB range on my large map in the mid-game.

4. skeezix

skeezix Chieftain

I'm noticing a lot of 'texture pop'; any idea what causes that? (ie: I'm running in default run mode (not DX9), though I'm running under Wine on Linux; still, that likely isn't a factor here.) 8800m GTX is a pretty powerful card (couple years old), but it doesn't seem to matter if its on lower or higher settings .. as I scroll around the map, I first see lower detail textures (not sure if thats the right terminology for this), and a moment later, they get redrawn with sharper textures. Its pretty distracting.

The game does seem to run pretty 'hot' on the GPU as well :)

Any ideas? (I really should fire it up in Win7 for comparison, as I preloaded it there as well on the same machine, but I prefer not to reboot just to fire up a game ;)

jeff

5. Rossifer

Rossifer Chieftain

I'm running this on an Asus G73jh laptop.

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor 1.60 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz
    • Graphics: ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD 5870, 1GB GDDR5 dedicated graphics memory
    • Storage: 1TB (500GBx2) (7200rpm)
    • Memory: 8912MB (2048x4) DDRIII 1066 RAM

Got a huge earth map going on with everything cranked up to max, AA x8 and it's running well. Although I may have to turn AA down a bit as now I'm starting to assemble a fairly big army there is a little slow down, not much but noticeable.

6. WuphonsReach

WuphonsReach Prince

I see the textures get more defined as well on my GTX 460 1GB card in WinXP, so it's not just you.

I think it's an optimization by the developers. Show you the low-res textures first, which are fast to draw and let you start interacting with the map. As time goes on, it will catch up as it can after letting you do what you want to do.

7. flyboy22

flyboy22 Chieftain

I am running it on a

Dell XPS M1530
    Windows 7 32-Bit, build 7600
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz
    3 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (1.5 GB video RAM, DirectX 10.0 supported)
    More than enough HDD space...

I was running DX10/11, but since it is really DX10.1/11, I had to run in DX9 after I encountered a bug / visual effect in the city screen that caused my graphics card to crash...

Otherwise, the speed has been pretty good. Rendering in DX9 could be better (perhaps it is because they turned off AA unless you force it), but the graphics are fine.

8. rrhal

rrhal Warlord

I'm running a Socket 939 Opteron 170 (dual core), 4 gig Ram (DDR400), a 8800 gt, all on Win XP (DX9) - I have AA turned on through the nVidia control panel. I'm using the video drivers that Microsoft recently put out in a software update.

Seems to run OK - I have crashed to the desktop twice in 20+ hours. It gets a little laggy during the AI turns in the late going. When I check my video card reports that it is running 82 C and both procs are very busy.

9. funkyj

funkyj Chieftain

I wonder if they could add an option to say "yeah, go ahead and grab a ton of RAM to use as a RAM disk" in an effort to speed things up.

Here is my system:

CPU & chassis: Lenovo T61p laptop with 8GB DRAM
    disk: OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD
    display adapter: NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M

I run the 1920x1200 (59Hz) resolution and fairly low settings. I would try more medium graphics settings if I didn't hit a display bug.

10. milk steak

milk steak Warlord

Intel Core2Duo E8500 (@ stock speed)
    GeForce 9800GT (@ stock speed)
    4GB RAM
    Win7 x64 Pro

Settings: Everything High except Clouds (Medium), Tesselation (Medium), Shadows (Medium). No MSAA.

Everything runs fantastic. 0 crashes so far in approximately 20 hours of play (including ~6 hours multiplayer).

11. Fredric Drum

Fredric Drum Civilizator

Laptop with Core 2 Duo T9300 2,5 ghz, 4GB and Nvidia 9800M GTS, so not the hottest on the block any more, but decent enough. Runs great with all graphics on medium, hardly any waiting in-between turns on a large map.

12. h0sti1e17

h0sti1e17 Chieftain

AMD X2 5000+ (dual core 2.6 ghz)
    3.5 GB RAM
    ATI HD 3870 512gb ram

I am running it at 1600x900 with 2AA. Everything on high except leaders; water quality and shadows which are all on medium.

So far not mad. Moving around the map is smooth every once in a while it hangs for a second usually going into diplomacy screen(might lower that to low). I am playing on large. I am around 400ad so we will seen when we get late game. Turns range fro. 3 secs to 12 secs depending on what is going on.

13. funkyj

funkyj Chieftain

I've been without a desktop PC for 2 years now. Civ5 is a good excuse to buy another. Here is the order I just placed:

• Intel i7 Quad 950 3.06G 8MB cache
    • ASUS P6X58D-E (DDR expandable up to 12GB)
    • 6 GB DDR3
    • OCZ Vertex 120G SSD
    • eVGA Geforece GTS450 (1GB DDR5)
    • Windows 7 64-bit
    • 750W power supply

Some folks might have bought less DRAM and a better graphics card but I like having too much RAM -- it is good for other things besides playing games. I can upgrade the video in 18 months when the best cards of today have become mid/low range and cost $100.

Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade the CPU in the future.

I have an old SATA HD that I will put in for additional storage.

BTW, can anyone tell me how to move my Civ5 (steam purchase) to a new computer? Is this covered in the steam FAQ?

14. mattavich

mattavich Civ5 Fanatic

I get about the same performance as running civ 4

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHZ
    CPU Cooler - Big Typhoon 120 VX
    Motherboard - GA-EP45-UD3LR
    PSU - OcUK 650W Dual-Rail High Efficiency Power Supply
    RAM - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel
    Graphics card - Gainward GTX 260 @ 725mhz
    Display - 22" Samsung SM2233RZ LCD 120hz + 3D Vision
    Sound Card - ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    2GB Readyboost USB Flash Drive
    Hard Drive - Samsung 750GB
    Logitch G9 Gaming mouse and Razer Destructor Mousepad

15. Metal God

Metal God Chieftain

Intel Core2Quad 6600
    2GB RAM
    GeForce 8800GS
    Win7 32bit

I'm running it on 1440x900 with most of the graphic settings between medium and high, the only thing I've deactivated are shadows. So far it's been running great

16. WuphonsReach

WuphonsReach Prince

I'm running WinXP, DX9, 3.3GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 460 1GB card. Here's what I've found on load times and memory usage. My system generally runs at 850MB in use after booting. Steam uses up 128MB right now at peak and only goes down to about 80MB when minimized.

Before you load any save files, Civ5 is going to eat about 520MB of RAM and 880MB of virtual memory according to Task Manager.

Loading a large/fractal save in AD 1800 or so with nearly every corner of the world uncovered and settled boosts that to 1320MB RAM and 1550MB virtual memory. So on top of my base memory needs that puts me right up around 2.5GB used out of 3.3GB.

So unless you can keep your base system at 600MB or less, 2GB of RAM should be considered a fairly hard minimum requirement. And you'll have a lot better luck with 3GB if you prefer standard/large maps.

On a positive note... the game load screen seems to be multi-threaded. It was lighting up all four of my CPU cores while loading the game.

17. Thor7

Thor7 Warlord

My comp is over 4 years old, AMD Athalon x2 2.2ghz, 2 gb of ram, ati x1900xt graphics, windows xp. Runs really, really bad. Everything on low and I get gray splotches when I pan which repaint themselves once I stop moving. Lots of lag on tooltips as well, and my last game crashed about 100 turns in. I'm guessing I ran out of ram. I believe my setup meets the min requirements just barely, but I would not recommend playing this on a non windows 7 machine with under 4 gb of ram and a fast dual core.

But I ordered a new pc, i5-760, gtx 460 gpu, 4 gb of ram, windows 7. Not for this game, and it's pretty overkill for this game, but I needed an upgrade in general. Let you know how it works.

18. Thor7

Thor7 Warlord

Recommended specs are a quad core cpu so I'd assume the game is designed to use them all.

19. Borg124

Borg124 Chieftain

AM2+ Mainboard with AMD Athlon X2, 5200+ DualCore 2,7Ghz
    4GB DDR2-800 ( 3GB with Windows XP Prof. 32bit )
    GeForce 8500 GT (512MB) (yeah I think an upgrade will come in some time... ;) )

Civ5 is running at the moment on: 1280x1024, DX9 mode, all settings on low, fps around 20-30, standart size map with 8 players ( hope it runs also ok on late game ;) )
    ( At the first game start, the auto detect graphics settings was on low and some on medium and texture on high )

20. demeryt

demeryt Chieftain

E8200 @ 3,4 GHz, 4850 512mb, 4 GB RAM, Win 7 64-bit.
    DX 10/11 mode, 1920 x 1200, everything on High, MSAA x4.

Runs great. Have to try bigger map sizes, though. I think it runs smoother that Civ4 sometimes does (maybe it's better optimized for 64-bit?)

One issue is that I can't have Firefox open while playing, the game starts to stutter quite noticeably when I do.