What are your first production orders?

dbkblk

Emperor
Similar to the war production thread, what are your production orders for the first half of the ancient era?
At which point do you produce a scout, a worker, a settler?

Similar to the war production thread, what are your production orders for the first 50 turns during the first era?
At which point do you produce a scout, a worker, a settler?
Again, first 50 turns at which gamespeed? At Blitz I produce 2-3 settlers but that's impossible at snail. [emoji6]

45°38'N-13°47'E;13735030 said:
Again, first 50 turns at which gamespeed? At Blitz I produce 2-3 settlers but that's impossible at snail. [emoji6]
I've removed the number of turns. The idea is to get what should be built first and to analysis how the AI should act.

EDIT: Changed according to your remark.

I know, I was simply pointing out that it's better to use some relative description. What's "first turns"? It might be different for you and me. You could say, what do you build in the first half of ancient Era, for example :)

Worker, then a commerce generating building like Wheelright. Quern is usually built soon enough.

There's more. Production here also depends on the leader. For example I build a couple of javelineers at the start, then I build a settler. But that's because my favourite leader is Cathy which has 50% production time for settlers. It also depends on the territory: if it's not producing enough food, I might delay the second settler until my capital reaches size 2

A Scout, or a Warrior/Javelineer to explore.
Myth of the Hero for that +1:hammers:.
Depending on tech and surrounding terrain, maybe a Worker to build a Farm or a Mine on a nearby resource, or maybe another one or two units to keep exploring (by this time the first explorers tend to have died).
Any low-cost building (for example a Quern or the Elder Council) if available and I'm not in the need of another unit (which I probably am, with Raging Barbarians and aggressive exploration).
If I'm lucky and have stone/marble/obsidian in the BFC, beeline to Masonry and build that Quarry and the Stoneworker's Hut in the capital.
As tech gets discovered, switch to Slavery and then build the Slave Market and the Forge as they become available.
In general in new cities, :hammers:-giving buildings get the top priority, then food, then commerce. If they're cheap enough (Quern, Apiary and Butchery later on) they get mixed in at the top of the build queue.
If I really need something in particular, like :gold:, then exceptions are made, for example Walls when running Monarchy, or Bazaars and Markets with Patrician.

Usually I prefer having a strong first city before making a Settler. The extra time gives me the chance to get resource-revealing tech, explore, and bettter choose future city sites.
Also with a few improvements, a later Settler is built faster anyway.

Interesting. Do you think 1 scout by city is a good ratio ? Too high ? Too low ?

It really depends on the map.
Larger maps need more recon units. Water heavy maps, however, need ships rather than land units to explore.
If your starting continent is big enough, I'd say keep 4-5 scouting units active at a time, rather than X/city. Build 2 or 3 in the beginning, and then another couple after your first settler.

it all really depends on Map size/Speed/Starting conditions.

I myself, Play Gigantic Maps at Eternity speed only. Start as Minors option.

1st Build is a Warrior, UNLESS, I start with Hunting and stone working to Build Javelineers, then its a javelin.

Depending on Starting tech's will determine the buildings. If I start with 2 Warriors, I'll use both for initial scouting about my starting position, then bring home. Elder Council for the +1:science:, Story Tellers circle for +1:), or the +1 Culture building.

I IMMEDIATELY beeline Slavery, UNLESS there is a cheap tech I really need, such as stone working.

Revolt to Slavery 1st thing. the 33% penalty removal is just HUGE early on, the +3:hammers: from the 'Free' slave unit, offsets the -1:mad:

From there I go for techs according to my area, but aim for Archery for Archers, but lately I've been using slingers as well, as they have a bit of a life span.

Now I move to Trade for the Slave Markets, and Bronze working for the Spear.

Settlers are only built when the city is at Full happy capacity, Workers only at Size 2 Minimum, if not 3.

To sum up;

Early builds are Happy, culture hammer buildings, Carpenter in No 1 in 2nd and so on cities.

Troops for Defence are interspersed, with some fortified on forested hills outside of border to gain experience with minimal risk.

Scouts only if Start with on, are set on Auto recon, any others popped from huts are set to auto hunt. Don't really expect them to live.

I get three cities, two workers, then spam scouts until I have priesthood and build the oracle. I only play on the largest or second largest map override size though so I have alot of ground and goodie huts to cover as quickly as possible.

I never build scouts - because I play with GoodyHuts turned off. Hopefully that's taken into account in the AI logic...
I build just enough warriors to scout out the nearby potential city locations and take up defensive positions.
Usually my first build after I have a warrior is a worker.

Top Bottom