What boardgames did you just play?

Got a couple of games in at the weekend:

My first play of Everdell, a worker placement / tableau builder game, and had a lot of fun. Wasn't too complex, but there still seemed to be a good variety of things to do and strategies to aim for. I took the win with one built around lots of resource gathering and late game cards that let me trade said resources for points.

And another go of what has probably become my favourite board game, Spirit Island. I tend not to be that keen on pure co-op games, but this is definitely the exception. There's just so many interesting, complex decisions to make throughout a game, particularly on the higher difficulties (my group are up to level 5 adversaries), and plenty of opportunities for cooperation with the other players, backed up by a wide variety of different spirits to play (many of which have multiple potentially viable builds).

Will be playing Wingspan with my brother, brother-in-law and nephew this weekend.
Played it twice before and its a very good game but this will be my brother-in-laws first game and as a keen birder as well as gamer the game might have been made specially for him.

Excellent game, I really like it. I can recommend the European and the Oceania expansions

Played Lost Ruins of Arnak tonight. Good solid Euro, not very innovative but well-balanced, good mechanics and reasonable theme.
I must clarify - when you say, "good solid Euro," is that being made, "on the Continent," a thematic theme, or that is cost a Euro in sale price?

Oh, okay. I haven't played any boardgames, save for some of those themed Risk variants, since the '90's.
I probably shouldn't use the term anymore. Not all Eurogames are made by European publishers, not all Ameritrash is made by US companies and it isn't all trash, and a lot of games are somewhere in between the 2.
Eurogames tend to be more abstract and balanced, Ameritrash is more thematic and luck-driven.

Me and my dad are currently playing Marita-Merkur a WWII wargame covering the Italo-Greek war and Germany's invasion of Yugoslavia & Greece. I'm playing as the Greeks and my dad is playing as the Italians.
Spoiler Photos :

WholeMap.jpg

NorthGreece.jpg

Albania.jpg

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum although I've been playing forum games for a long time. I was very fond of Munchkin, Catan and a friend let me try the magic high techloky, it was so much fun.

Welcome to the forums DeneseNealy! :band:

I played a couple games of Catan: Seafarers with friends a couple weeks ago. More fun than I'd remembered. Friend A and I got into a Longest Road battle in the first game and Friend B won; in the second game I rode a fortune in wheat and bricks to victory.

Been gradually getting back into board games more generally too. I think my favorite new-to-me one this spring is The Quest for El Dorado. It didn't hurt that my zerg rush strategy paid off in a victory, which the game veterans tell me is rarely the case, but there's something to be said for doubling down on a strategy that's off to a good start and seeing it through to the end.

Played Wingspan with my group the other day. Pretty fun game that. It lacks some interactive elements for my part but the others really liked it.

Two really clever boardgames from the '80's that I haven't found a reliably intact used copy of since (but would like to, without a huge novelty pricetags) were Scotland Yard (with a bunch of detectves identifieded only by token colour hunting after, "Mr. X," *dramatic ominous music and jazz hands of dread and terror* across a map of the inner part of the Greater London Area travelling by taxi, bus, and Underground) and Ultimatum (often derried in the day as a, "poor gamer's Supremacy," in that both were global strategy games in a hypothetical post-modern world from a mid-'80's vantage point with simple bse rules, minimal pieces and board spaces, but clever and engaging nuances and complexities, but, while Supremacy and it's expansion packs are still in print, albeit only by online order now, Ultimatum fell off the market radar).

Most recently, Welcome To..., a game about building subdivisions in the 1950s. You get points for building various combinations of parks, swimming pools, white picket fences, etc. Fun, but not so fun that I'm likely to add it to my own collection.

I also played So Clover!, which is a word game where you have to come up with one-word clues to describe two words, and the scoring is collaborative rather than competitive. I would've played another round of it had enough people been up for it. I think my favorite part was when the other players were trying to guess my clues, and I know the right answer but they didn't and were oh-so-tempted by incorrect combinations.

Most recently, Welcome To..., a game about building subdivisions in the 1950s. You get points for building various combinations of parks, swimming pools, white picket fences, etc. Fun, but not so fun that I'm likely to add it to my own collection.

I also played So Clover!, which is a word game where you have to come up with one-word clues to describe two words, and the scoring is collaborative rather than competitive. I would've played another round of it had enough people been up for it. I think my favorite part was when the other players were trying to guess my clues, and I know the right answer but they didn't and were oh-so-tempted by incorrect combinations.
If you liked So Clover, check out Codenames or Just One.

If you liked So Clover, check out Codenames or Just One.
I've played Codenames and am not as big of a fan of it as the average board gamer seems to be. It has been a while since I last played it so my memory of the mechanics is a bit iffy, but as I recall it's something like you give one word and a number of tiles it matches (being careful to avoid hints that your rival's tiles might match), and your teammate(s) pick tiles that they think match based on that, then the other team gets a turn. There is certainly overlap, but it doesn't have the fast-paced, chaotic, multi-person interaction I tend to like in word games. So Clover involves everyone (not just one team at a time), and I liked the chaotic element that the unrevealed fifth tile adds.

I am not familiar with Just One. Could you give a brief overview of it, ideally in just one paragraph? Or should it be just one word?

I've played Codenames and am not as big of a fan of it as the average board gamer seems to be. It has been a while since I last played it so my memory of the mechanics is a bit iffy, but as I recall it's something like you give one word and a number of tiles it matches (being careful to avoid hints that your rival's tiles might match), and your teammate(s) pick tiles that they think match based on that, then the other team gets a turn. There is certainly overlap, but it doesn't have the fast-paced, chaotic, multi-person interaction I tend to like in word games. So Clover involves everyone (not just one team at a time), and I liked the chaotic element that the unrevealed fifth tile adds.

I am not familiar with Just One. Could you give a brief overview of it, ideally in just one paragraph? Or should it be just one word?
I gotcha on Codenames.

Just One is a cooperative game where each player takes a round or two as the guesser. They put a card they can't see in front of them and select a number. The other players write down one word hints related to the meaning of the word. If any of their hints match, they cancel. Then any remaining hints are what the guesser has to use to guess the one word. They get one guess.

It can be easy to think up clues but you have to develop a strategy for not writing the same as your fellow clue givers.

Top Bottom