What boardgames did you just play?

Played my second game of Glen More in seven years (how is this thread getting closer to ten), and I got close to parity in score despite tripping over the rondel, putting hats on my meeples with wild abandon, and generally playing like a pigeon with a glass of water.

Recentlly finished playing a game of Mongoose Traveller with some folks from IOT over Discord. 'twas nice.

A personal record score in Terraforming Mars. 3 players. 12 generations. Completely filled the board. I couldnt even place my final greenery tile there wasnt any room. One of the few games where I was able to get a plant, temperature and Jovian strategy to work. I had a slow start (despite managing to get 2 milestones), but by the end I was a complete monster. In the final round i had 148 credits to spend once i had popped martian rails. Finished off with an 11 point finisher with Terraforming Ganymede. Quite insane.

Good game.
I got the PC version on the theory that I might play it online with my brother during Covid lockdown but it never happened.
They have a mobile version as well that is easier to remember. I play that with my brother and another friend as well.

I got back into Cities: Skylines and have figured out how to get even more value out of it.

I kind of got bored just always getting through all the pop milestones with every save, then expanding the city as much as possible, working on some transit, being very very functional.. I would make sure things look nice, but I would 90% prioritize function over form.

Right now I'm going through a save where I'm basically taking this approach to each gaming session:

1. Locate a need i.e. more commercial zoning is needed
2. Figure out where to expand and how to connect it to the rest of the city in a functional way
3. Build the roads, zone everything out, and add in any parks, plazas or special buildings. Add in otherwise the needed infrastructure: heating pipes, police presence, new highway onramps, etc.
3.b. Some time is spent making sure that this district is unique. i.e. unique bulidings, unique assets, a different road direction or curvature, trees laid out differently, etc.
4. Run the game a bit and allow your new division to populate a bit
5. Look at the neighbouring parts of the city and see if any changes are required to integrate the new part of town with the rest of the city. Focus on making sure the road connections are efficient here.
6. Run the game a bit again and cycle through the various views.. Education, Fire, Police, Health, etc. See if I've forgotten anything
7. Shift focus to public transit and see how to best integrate the new part of town into the existing transit system
8. Spend some time beautifying everything so it looks more like a real city, cleaning up after the construction & upgrades, etc.

That's basically sort of what I used to do, but it would span multiple gaming sessions. So I'd spend 4 hours expanding the city with different districts on sunday and then 2 hours on tuesday trying to fix traffic issues. I find that going through this process in each gaming session and treating each task as a real city project.. just makes everything better. The city ends up looking more like a real dynamic city and not just a cookie cutter copy of everything everywhere.

Each time I load up the game the 'need' (from 1. on the list) can range from.. new sports stadium district is needed, new subway line, a theater district, a new university district, redrawing of the existing public transit system, an upgrade of a part of town that was built a long time ago and needs to be reworked, changing the way the arteries distribute traffic around the city (by maybe connecting diff. streets), focusing on the river, etc.

There's a lot of different types of projects you can imagine, so at the beginning of each gaming sess I basically look at my city and see what sort of project is needed and/or would benefit the city. Then I go through that list and get er done. It doesn't seem like that much of a difference from the way I used to play this game, but it sort of makes everything a lot more realistic and engaging for me. And that ofc. means even more value that I can squeeze out of this game.

I also bought the public transit DLC a couple weeks ago, so there's also that. Public transit is usually important in my cities, so there's even more options for me now as I load up the game and figure out what to work on next

edit: whooops, I was half asleep and put this in the wrong thread. But can't see a better one to put this in for now

Last edited:
I found myself watching City Skylines on YT and getting made to feel very ashamed about my very poor attempts after watching some peoples creations.

Kemet: Blood and Sand is my new favourite. It has everything I like in a board game. Only played it once and that was a while ago, hope we can get another round going soon.

Kemet: Blood and Sand is my new favourite. It has everything I like in a board game. Only played it once and that was a while ago, hope we can get another round going soon.

Haven't played that but have played Cyclades and Inis from the same company and they are both very good.

Haven't played that but have played Cyclades and Inis from the same company and they are both very good.
I love Cyclades too and it has a somewhat similar feel to it. While combat in Cyclades is kinda rare as spending the resources to position yourself up for an attack isn't always worth it or even possible. Most Cyclades games will have some battles but it mostly revolves around the threat of attacks, than actual battles. Kemet has more warfare mechanics as core gameplay. I like the confrontational aspects of it. Might not be the thing for peaceful players though.

I hadn't played any games in a while, but recently got together for another game of Stone Age. It really is an excellent game.

I love Cyclades too and it has a somewhat similar feel to it. While combat in Cyclades is kinda rare as spending the resources to position yourself up for an attack isn't always worth it or even possible. Most Cyclades games will have some battles but it mostly revolves around the threat of attacks, than actual battles. Kemet has more warfare mechanics as core gameplay. I like the confrontational aspects of it. Might not be the thing for peaceful players though.

Inis certainly isn't for peaceful players although the winner is often the one who launches their attack after their enemies have exhausted each other.

I hadn't played any games in a while, but recently got together for another game of Stone Age. It really is an excellent game.

Haven't played that for a long while but it would be worth getting out again.

Here's my top 10 board games. I have played all this month except 7 and 10.

My top 10 games:
1. 1960: The Making of a President
2. Star Wars: Rebellion
3. Scythe
4. Root
5. Dune Imperium
6. Twilight Struggle
7. LOTR: JIME
8. Istanbul
9. Everdell
10. Terraforming Mars

Played Versailles today. You play as 1 of UK, US, France and Italy at the end of WW 1 trying to divide up the world in accordance with your aims and giving your allies/rivals as little as possible.
Only my brother and I so we played the 2 player version. I (UK) trounced him (France) although since this was the 1st time we had played more by luck than design. Took about 4 hours which isn't bad for a 1st playthrough.

Conclusion - Good game but suspect it would be a lot better with 3 or 4 players. Will be putting it forward for play next time our group has a day rather than just an evening.

I recently had a fun time with Ark Nova. You build a zoo and get animals for your enclosures. Quite well designed!
Tom Vasel's #1, if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom