• Safari

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Camino

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
Archer 007 said:
Padma, it takes a week or so, but its worth it.

what does firefox offer, that opera doesn't ?

KaeptnOvi said:
# It is not integrated with Windows, which helps prevent viruses and hackers from causing damage if they somehow manage to compromise Firefox.
# There is no support for VBScript and ActiveX, two technologies which are the reasons for many IE security holes.
# No spyware/adware software can automatically install in Firefox just by visiting a web site.
# Firefox doesn't use Microsoft's Java VM, which has a history of more flaws than other Java VMs.
# You have complete control over cookies.

It has those security measures plus tons of themes and extensions that are awesome! See the link in my sig for details.

shadowdude said:
# It is not integrated with Windows, which helps prevent viruses and hackers from causing damage if they somehow manage to compromise Firefox.
# There is no support for VBScript and ActiveX, two technologies which are the reasons for many IE security holes.
# No spyware/adware software can automatically install in Firefox just by visiting a web site.
# Firefox doesn't use Microsoft's Java VM, which has a history of more flaws than other Java VMs.
# You have complete control over cookies.

It has those security measures plus tons of themes and extensions that are awesome! See the link in my sig for details.

aehem, if you read my post again, I was talking about Opera not IE.

Well, Opera vs. Firefox...

To be honest, I've never really used Opera, or even firefox... I'm still with full Mozilla...

Anyways, the big thing to most people is no ads on Firefox... Also, there are, as aforementioned by shadowdude, many more themes & extensions, and more are always coming. Firefox is a lot lmore modifyable, if you will, because it's mostly Open-Source, thus alllowing people to edit it, fix it, and make plugins as well.

I just tried to download something on firefox, it was wierd. and i dont have flash Ive decided to use firefox only sometimes

afaik opera is just as safe as firefox. I can enable/disable JavaScript, Cookies, etc and it uses the SUN JRE. The only thing is the ads but with a decent screen resolution you will hardly notice it.

and it got themes as well

Opera offers these things over Firefox:

1. You don't have to download a ton of extensions (Opera has a lot of features intergrated into its download, rather than have to download the features)

2. Far smaller than Firefox (0.8 had a 6.9MB download; 0.9 has a 4.9MB download) comapred to Opera's 3.4MB. Of course, Opera also has its mail client, newsreader, and IRC intergrated into that download. If you wanted those features you would either have to download regular Mozilla (11.9MB) or Thunderbird (6.0MB)

3. A lot more customizable options (at least with the installer download; dunno about using a thousand add-ons). 7.51, for example, allows you to have panels on the sides or on the top, and a LOT more buttons to change around than Firefox (Firefox only has the simple cut copy paste and add tab and stuff)

4. Options. Pipelining isn't enabled by default in Firefox, and it was a pain to have to change the options. I can also set "Check images" to never, and it saves a lot more loading time than Firefox does (I haven't seen a specialized cache disable options menu).

Would it be possible to get a couple of screenies of each browser. This may sound shallow, but when several options offer basic functionality, I tend to go with look... I'm sure most people do as well, and I think it would be an interesting comparison for those of us who have been considering getting rid of IE but have never made the leap...

Tal

Tallanas said:
Would it be possible to get a couple of screenies of each browser. This may sound shallow, but when several options offer basic functionality, I tend to go with look... I'm sure most people do as well, and I think it would be an interesting comparison for those of us who have been considering getting rid of IE but have never made the leap...

Tal
Firefox has several different ways it can look because you can install several different themes. (currently 31 themes, and new ones are always on the way)

shadowdude said:
Firefox has several different ways it can look because you can install several different themes. (currently 31 themes, and new ones are always on the way)
Not to mention that you can move the toolbars however you want - to the bottom, to the side, where you want. Opera, for example, comes with a default side panel bar, but I could remove it to the arrangement that I like. I've seen people who have the tabs at the bottom in Firefox.

Opera, I'm a big fan of it. I've even converted a number of friends to it.

I combine both Internet Explorer (which evidently sucks) and Firefox (which rock my socks off).
I still use Internet Explorer is used because Firefox sometimes dislike webpages designed for Internet Explorer.
I mainly use Firefox because it is more stable and oddly smoother.
Oh and this thrend actually converted me to a Firefox user.

KaeptnOvi said:

Its free :)

I use Firefox .8 and see no reason to upgrade :)

I used IE for 7 years and never had a single 'security' problem ever, i dont know what all the fuss is about*, all it takes is a little common sense. I ditched IE because its a crap product, not because of security flaws that are easily avoidable.

* Nope, I dont want an explanation, Ive heard it before at least 147,254,722 times and it was boring the 3rd time.

fret said:
Its free :)

I use Firefox .8 and see no reason to upgrade :)

I used IE for 7 years and never had a single 'security' problem ever, i dont know what all the fuss is about*, all it takes is a little common sense. I ditched IE because its a crap product, not because of security flaws that are easily avoidable.

* Nope, I dont want an explanation, Ive heard it before at least 147,254,722 times and it was boring the 3rd time.

First of all, all Opera has is one banner ad at the top. I have seen page ads that are much more annoying than Opera's single ad banner. Whole pages that have 5-6 ads that all flash and blink, that disrupt my reading (when I'm reading news articles), and can make me sick.

If you chose to be ignorant...so be it. But go to some cracks sites...and you'll see how insecure it is.

Top Bottom