What causes global warming?

Blanchflower

Prince
I really hate global warming! What causes them to appear? Is it possible to remove them entirely from the game? Thanks for your help!

I really hate global warming! What causes them to appear? Is it possible to remove them entirely from the game? Thanks for your help!

Nuclear attacks and very high numbers of hammers worldwide.

Look in the GlobalDefines.xml file, there's a line there that will effectively allow you to turn it off.

Nobody knows!

Wait, are you referring to the magic desert wand in civ?! Oh. In that case, it's sources of :yuck: of any kind, irrespective of whether cities are actually healthy. Also, enough trees/jungles have to be chopped.

Nukes also drastically increase the chance of global warming, because fireaxis likes to pretend that all things nuclear act more like in sci-fi than something we'd see in reality.

In real life, humans. In the game, poor design.

Others have told you where to look in the XML file. Just set the probability to 0. It adds nothing of value to the game.

Its in the XML folder (near the bottom).

My computer/Local Disk/Program files/2k games/Firaxis/sid Meiers civ../Option of what version you have/Assets/XML

Just be sure to make a copy of the original!

We were just commenting on this over in the HOF forum. We are trying to play a game to the end with a Time victory, and global warming seems to be affecting some but not others. I for one had chopped down almost all the trees, and had at times lots of :yuck:, but no Global Warming occurred. I'm thinking this may have happened because I was playing on a Terra map and the new world was never completely settled. Is there some trigger that most of the land needs to be settled before global warming starts?

We were just commenting on this over in the HOF forum. We are trying to play a game to the end with a Time victory, and global warming seems to be affecting some but not others. I for one had chopped down almost all the trees, and had at times lots of :yuck:, but no Global Warming occurred. I'm thinking this may have happened because I was playing on a Terra map and the new world was never completely settled. Is there some trigger that most of the land needs to be settled before global warming starts?

New world probably had enough trees.

Its in the XML folder (near the bottom).

My computer/Local Disk/Program files/2k games/Firaxis/sid Meiers civ../Option of what version you have/Assets/XML

Just be sure to make a copy of the original!

I am a bit confused here. I do not know what to change! And my XML folder cannot be opened. An error occers which states that "The XML page cannot be displayed Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. Error opening input file: 'CIV4GlobalDefinesSchema.xml'. The system cannot locate the resource specified. Error processing."

Please help!! Thanks!

I am a bit confused here. I do not know what to change! And my XML folder cannot be opened. An error occers which states that "The XML page cannot be displayed Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. Error opening input file: 'CIV4GlobalDefinesSchema.xml'. The system cannot locate the resource specified. Error processing."

Please help!! Thanks!
It sounds as though you just opened the file and by default your OS will try to open it in a browser. You can't edit the file in a standard browser.
If you're running Windows, right-click on the file and select Edit (The file will open in Notepad) or Open With and then choose Notepad. If you're on a Mac running some flavor of OSX then I believe that you'll have to install a text editor if you don't have MS Word.

It sounds as though you just opened the file and by default your OS will try to open it in a browser. You can't edit the file in a standard browser.
If you're running Windows, right-click on the file and select Edit (The file will open in Notepad) or Open With and then choose Notepad. If you're on a Mac running some flavor of OSX then I believe that you'll have to install a text editor if you don't have MS Word.

Ok, I got it to open with Notepad. I am using Vista 64-bit and I have Civilization 4 Complete.. But there is a error message stating "Cannot create the C:\Program files (x86)\2k Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\GlobalDefines.xml file. Make sure the path and file name is correct."

So, this means I still cannot change the file using Notepad! Please help! Thanks!

Hmmmm. Before you do anything further, copy the file in the same folder. Just Copy, Paste. Windows should automatically name the copy "Copyof.......XML"
Now try renaming GlobalDefines.xml as GlobalDefines.txt, edit it and when you're done rename it back to GlobalDefines.xml.
If that fails then download and install the free version of HTML-Kit HERE. Don't know why Vista is being a pain but HTML-Kit is a text editor desgined to work with XML, HTML, PHP, etc. so you shouldn't have any problems working with Civ's XML files in it.

Hmmmm. Before you do anything further, copy the file in the same folder. Just Copy, Paste. Windows should automatically name the copy "Copyof.......XML"
Now try renaming GlobalDefines.xml as GlobalDefines.txt, edit it and when you're done rename it back to GlobalDefines.xml.
If that fails then download and install the free version of HTML-Kit HERE. Don't know why Vista is being a pain but HTML-Kit is a text editor desgined to work with XML, HTML, PHP, etc. so you shouldn't have any problems working with Civ's XML files in it.

OK, I downloaded HTML-Kit. But how do I open the globalDefines.xml file with this software? There is an error message stating that "the file is not a valid Win32 application!" Please help! Thanks!

Ok, I managed to open it with the HTML-Kit. I managed to save the file. But when I open it with notepad, the changes are not reflected! The changes are reflected ONLY when I open it with HTML! Then when I continue with my saved game, global warming still appears! Does that mean I have to start a NEW game just to see whether this works? Or is this not reflected in my old saved game? I started the game before I made these changes! Please help! Thanks!

In real life, humans. In the game, poor design.

Others have told you where to look in the XML file. Just set the probability to 0. It adds nothing of value to the game.

I didn't know humans ended the ice age.

But we're agreed on the value of the mechanic in the game.

Ok, I managed to open it with the HTML-Kit. I managed to save the file. But when I open it with notepad, the changes are not reflected! The changes are reflected ONLY when I open it with HTML! Then when I continue with my saved game, global warming still appears! Does that mean I have to start a NEW game just to see whether this works? Or is this not reflected in my old saved game? I started the game before I made these changes! Please help! Thanks!
I believe that you'll have to start a new game. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe that Civ only reads GlobalDefines once: when it's building a new game.

Top Bottom