What city will have the next team?

Baseball isn't going to expand for a while, probably a long while. Remember as recently as a year ago there were talks of a contraction which haven't entirely faded away, but then a couple of the teams that were being considered brought up their level of play a bit and had decent seasons. Someone should tell the Orioles that they're getting sacked, maybe they'll learn how to win against someone other than the Devil Rays.

I wonder when Manchester United will move to London or when Real Madrid will move to Barcelona... :rolleyes:

I don't know if you already realized that, but sport teams are seen way differently in America and in Europe.

North Carolina and Virginia actually have locations that could possibly support more major league teams. The Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill triangle, metropolitan wise, rivals and outpasses some markets that have teams. In Virginia, the Newport News/Portsmouth/Norfolk metropolitan area is the most populous metropolitan market in the US to not have a major league team.

Originally posted by Andrewz
I wonder when Manchester United will move to London or when Real Madrid will move to Barcelona... :rolleyes:

I don't know if you already realized that, but sport teams are seen way differently in America and in Europe.

I wonder that, too....cool, Rome moving to Milan and Parma moving to Rome, with no teams left for Parma
:rolleyes:

I'd like to ask you Amerikanners WHY this happens in USA & Canada.
WHY?

Originally posted by Rhye

I wonder that, too....cool, Rome moving to Milan and Parma moving to Rome, with no teams left for Parma
:rolleyes:

I'd like to ask you Amerikanners WHY this happens in USA & Canada.
WHY?

Because there are a limited number of teams per league. You guys use promotion/relegation and have a pool of potentially one hundred or more teams.
Our professional leagues just say there are X amount of teams. No team here goes bankrupt/folds. We just move it. If your city does not support the team enough to make major league money, you will lose it.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I was under the impression that minor league baseball teams have some degree of latitude in choosing which major league franchise they are associated with.

Every so often, I'll read about team ABC in the XYZ league of AAA level ball has switched affiliations from the Dodgers to the Giants, or some other similar such thing.

I have no clue about minor league hockey. What little knowledge I do have of it is limited to a team in the former WPHL (now part of the CHL I think) that played in my hometown until they went bankrupt a couple of years ago. The team was the Central Texas Stampede, if anyone cares, they were the #2 team in the league in the inaugural season, but slowly tanked afterwards.

I have even less of a clue about minor league basketball. I'm aware that such leagues exist but I don't know jack beyond that.

Minor league football? Its called NCAA Division I football, my friends.

The NFL won't expand. I don't think the NHL will expand anymore for now, otherwise, it will be even more horrible. MLB might do it, but for now, I can only see the Expos moving south. The NBA has Charlotte coming in, so I don't expect any more from them.

So, does a city that loses its major team have another team in a minor league?
It really depends if there's a team already there. Washington doesn't have a minor league team, IIRC (though there might be teams around it). And it's all up to the minor leagues and investors on whether to put a team in the market.

Well, no idea where you live, but NYC has 2 minor league teams! Plus a team over in Newark. It's a recent phenomanon.

Originally posted by Zamphyr
Just move the Chargers!
The Chargers are sueing the city of San Diego to get out of their contract, so they can do just that. However, I highly doubt that the Chargers are the team the NFL envisions in L.A.

There's no way the NFL will move into Toronto. Canada would never allow it, with the CFL.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, does a city that loses its major team have another team in a minor league?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they didn't have a minor league team, one would move to town pretty soon.

NFL
Something that is rather unusual about American football is that we don't really have a minor league here. We have the Arena league, but it is very rare for one of them to make it to the pros. Instead, players go up to Canada to play in the CFL. The best in the CFL can find there way onto NFL rosters. We also send young/undeveloped players to NFL Europe each spring to play in that minor league. Most of the talent comes right out of college, and then sit a couple years as backups on NFL teams.

Originally posted by DBear
There's no way the NFL will move into Toronto. Canada would never allow it, with the CFL.

The CFL team in Toronto is struggling and thier is a huge fan base for NFL football in Toronto, many people go to Bufflao to watch games. And the NFL is better then the CFL:)

Top Bottom