[NFP] What Civilizations do you want to see next? And do you want Civilization 6 to be expanded more? 3

Which of these Civilizations do you want to see in Civ 6?

• Total voters
Siam is out now! A Culturally-focused Civilization that benefits from tall play and settling near Rivers.

Siam is out now! A Culturally-focused Civilization that benefits from tall play and settling near Rivers.
Surprised you made the Jingal replace the Cuirassier. I would have thought a Field Cannon, unless you mean when it has 2 range sight you meant it has an attack range of 2 spaces? Then I guess it would be similar to a Khesig, being a ranged cavalry unit.

I've also tried looking up what a Reuan because I'm not sure what it. I just keep on getting a Thai hotel with a restaurant though I guess that would fit it's in game description giving food, housing and tourism. :lol:

Surprised you made the Jingal replace the Cuirassier. I would have thought a Field Cannon, unless you mean when it has 2 range sight you meant it has an attack range of 2 spaces? Then I guess it would be similar to a Khesig, being a ranged cavalry unit.

I've also tried looking up what a Reuan because I'm not sure what it. I just keep on getting a Thai hotel with a restaurant though I guess that would fit it's in game description giving food, housing and tourism. :lol:
I've looked at other people's ideas, and the Ruean are basically stilt villages in Thailand. The Jingal doesn't have a Ranged Attack, because if it did, I'd have given it a Ranged Strength. I basically view Elephants as Heavy Cavalry, no matter what. Unless they have ballistas on them.

I've looked at other people's ideas, and the Ruean are basically stilt villages in Thailand. The Jingal doesn't have a Ranged Attack, because if it did, I'd have given it a Ranged Strength. I basically view Elephants as Heavy Cavalry, no matter what. Unless they have ballistas on them.
Okay just curious considering they mounted the Jingal guns on their elephants.

เรือน - reuan - means "house."
บ้าน - baan - is another translation for "house," but it really means "compound". That is to say, a "baan" would be the fenced-in part of a farm complex with a few "reuan" in it, along with an outside hearth and a granary, etc. It can also mean "small town" for the same reasons. It has a bit more of a feel of the word "home".

In cities or suburbs, where there's not a whole compound, the two are usually the same.

เรือน - reuan - means "house."
บ้าน - baan - is another translation for "house," but it really means "compound". That is to say, a "baan" would be the fenced-in part of a farm complex with a few "reuan" in it, along with an outside hearth and a granary, etc. It can also mean "small town" for the same reasons. It has a bit more of a feel of the word "home".

In cities or suburbs, where there's not a whole compound, the two are usually the same.
Huh. So would Baan be a better name for the Improvement, or would Reuan be just fine?

The jingal is a better specific adaptation to an early modern Siamese war weapon, but I think the term is Hindi in origin. British military attaches might have called Thai elephants with muskets on them "jingal". Others may correct me, but I think the Thai word would just be "beun" - gun. Not very specific or descriptive. And you may be right, the Siamese might have borrowed the Hindi term from visiting British, but I don't see much reference to the term (จิงกัล) in Thai. BTW, that would be pronounced "jingan", as Thai doesn't do terminal "L" sounds, even though they appear sometimes in borrowed words from Sanskrit or other languages (e.g. Mahidol, Bhumibol). But that's fine, I think - we use "Byzantine" when the inhabitants would have used "Roman," for instance.

Huh. So would Baan be a better name for the Improvement, or would Reuan be just fine?

I think baan, to refer to the whole unit. Imagine making an English civilization and wanting a kind of rural housing unit - one could choose "farm" or "homestead" or one could choose "house" or "cottage." Neither is 100% unique to the place (but elsewhere here people have discussed the tension between "unique to this civ" versus "emblematic of this civ"), but I like baan as it indicates the whole complex, not just one building in it.

My caveat: while I'm fluent in three dialects of Thai (Siamese, Kammeuang, Lao), there are others in these forums who are native speakers.

I think baan, to refer to the whole unit. Imagine making an English civilization and wanting a kind of rural housing unit - one could choose "farm" or "homestead" or one could choose "house" or "cottage." Neither is 100% unique to the place (but elsewhere here people have discussed the tension between "unique to this civ" versus "emblematic of this civ"), but I like baan as it indicates the whole complex, not just one building in it.
Makes sense.

I am sorry to bring up another thing! But there's a strangeness here. The Thonburi Kingdom refers to Taksin's short-lived but influential rule on the west bank of the Chao Phraya river, whereas Sri Ayutthaya refers to the city - and kingdom - a ways up that river. They are two different kingdoms! Or, rather, they both refer to Siam at slightly different times. The Ayutthaya kingdom was one that was present for centuries in the city by the same name ("Sri" just means "great," as in "Sri Lanka," though has a slightly more religious feel than "Maha"; Ayutthaya's official name is "Krung Sri Ayutthaya" - the "imperial holy capital of Ayutthaya" or something like that, and is named for the holy city in the Ramayana [Ramkhien] epic), but which was utterly destroyed by the Burmese in 1767. Thonburi was the attempt to re-form a state after the breakdown of Ayutthaya (1767-1782). It's a way of marking different periods via different kingdoms - recall that at that time "civilization" (i.e. Siam) wasn't nearly as meaningful as the ruling city (e.g. Ayutthaya or Thonburi). Even today, one can refer to Siamese history easily, via reference to "Ayutthaya - Thonburi - Rattanakosin (and within Rattanakosin, by the number of the monarch, e.g. Rama I, Rama 2)".

An interesting side note, this is where early Siamese history breaks down. Sukhothai, called by many to be quintessentially "Siamese", coexists with and actually battles Ayutthaya at times. Chinese history solves this by presenting a "mandate of heaven" notion, where the imagined, historiographic crown gets passed from Yuan to Ming at some point, and which is why PRC/ROC (Taiwan) disputes are so nasty in the mid-20th C, as both are claiming the mantle of "the Real China" (this is why Taiwan's official name is "Republic of China" and not "Taiwan"). But Siamese history doesn't have that strong notion of being a "middle kingdom".

At any rate, for a Taksin-centered civ, you could easily solve this by just calling the ability "Ayutthayan Legacy" or "Memories of Ayutthaya" or something like this.

(FYI, in case people are curious, I'll comment a bit on Vietnam's history in that thread, but I'm waiting for everything to be revealed before I do)

I am sorry to bring up another thing! But there's a strangeness here. The Thonburi Kingdom refers to Taksin's short-lived but influential rule on the west bank of the Chao Phraya river, whereas Sri Ayutthaya refers to the city - and kingdom - a ways up that river. They are two different kingdoms! Or, rather, they both refer to Siam at slightly different times. The Ayutthaya kingdom was one that was present for centuries in the city by the same name ("Sri" just means "great," as in "Sri Lanka," though has a slightly more religious feel than "Maha"; Ayutthaya's official name is "Krung Sri Ayutthaya" - the "imperial holy capital of Ayutthaya" or something like that, and is named for the holy city in the Ramayana [Ramkhien] epic), but which was utterly destroyed by the Burmese in 1767. Thonburi was the attempt to re-form a state after the breakdown of Ayutthaya (1767-1782). It's a way of marking different periods via different kingdoms - recall that at that time "civilization" (i.e. Siam) wasn't nearly as meaningful as the ruling city (e.g. Ayutthaya or Thonburi). Even today, one can refer to Siamese history easily, via reference to "Ayutthaya - Thonburi - Rattanakosin (and within Rattanakosin, by the number of the monarch, e.g. Rama I, Rama 2)".

An interesting side note, this is where early Siamese history breaks down. Sukhothai, called by many to be quintessentially "Siamese", coexists with and actually battles Ayutthaya at times. Chinese history solves this by presenting a "mandate of heaven" notion, where the imagined, historiographic crown gets passed from Yuan to Ming at some point, and which is why PRC/ROC (Taiwan) disputes are so nasty in the mid-20th C, as both are claiming the mantle of "the Real China" (this is why Taiwan's official name is "Republic of China" and not "Taiwan"). But Siamese history doesn't have that strong notion of being a "middle kingdom".

At any rate, for a Taksin-centered civ, you could easily solve this by just calling the ability "Ayutthayan Legacy" or "Memories of Ayutthaya" or something like this.

(FYI, in case people are curious, I'll comment a bit on Vietnam's history in that thread, but I'm waiting for everything to be revealed before I do)
Thanks for the advice! I also put Rama II in as a Leader, and yes, I know there are other more prominent Leaders, but I really wanted to create a pretty Unique Leader for Culture. So... I'll do Ayutthayan Legacy as it sounds more regal.

Thanks for the advice! I also put Rama II in as a Leader, and yes, I know there are other more prominent Leaders, but I really wanted to create a pretty Unique Leader for Culture. So... I'll do Ayutthayan Legacy as it sounds more regal.

Sure. And I like the early modern focus (I had a talk earlier re: Rama II and my side-eye there, but I'll leave it for now; I'd have picked Rama IV as cultural/religious), Rattanaoksin (1782-1932) was an absolutely inventive era, as the Siamese played the colonials off of each other, and incorporated a lot of new elements, from a modern idea of nation (Rama IV) to a European idea of absolute monarchy (Rama V) and modernity, to nationalism (Rama VI), all ending in a fascist coup that ironically sowed the seeds of a yet-to-be-realized democratic Thailand (post-1932).

But... and I hate to do this... Rama II is Rattanakosin, not Thonburi...The two cities are RIGHT across the water from each other, but after Taksin's death (coup and execution by his general, Rama I), the dynasty and kingdom were renamed from Thonburi. "Bangkok," BTW, is a misnomer - that word refers to a neighborhood that the Europeans mistook for the name of the city. The real city name is:

Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit

(Krung Thep for short).

"The city of the angels, the godly capital"

Sure. And I like the early modern focus (I had a talk earlier re: Rama II and my side-eye there, but I'll leave it for now; I'd have picked Rama IV as cultural/religious), Rattanaoksin (1782-1932) was an absolutely inventive era, as the Siamese played the colonials off of each other, and incorporated a lot of new elements, from a modern idea of nation (Rama IV) to a European idea of absolute monarchy (Rama V) and modernity, to nationalism (Rama VI), all ending in a fascist coup that ironically sowed the seeds of a yet-to-be-realized democratic Thailand (post-1932).

But... and I hate to do this... Rama II is Rattanakosin, not Thonburi...The two cities are RIGHT across the water from each other, but after Taksin's death (coup and execution by his general, Rama I), the dynasty and kingdom were renamed from Thonburi. "Bangkok," BTW, is a misnomer - that word refers to a neighborhood that the Europeans mistook for the name of the city. The real city name is:

Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit

(Krung Thep for short).

"The city of the angels, the godly capital"
I know he's not Thonburi. I just wanted two rulers from around relatively the same period of time to portray Siam.

Jose Rizal leads the Philippines in Sid Meier's Civilization 6: Heartbeat of Steel.

Jose Rizal.jpg

Coming January 21-22.

Very cool, I'm missing Islanders. This game need more people from Pacific Ocean.
The Maori and Indonesia are good representation, but I think one more Island Civ could be a good addition. Although, I highly doubt it.

"It takes a long time to say anything in Old Entish so we never say anything unless it's worth taking a long time to say."

Top Bottom