What Difficulty Are You Stuck On?

What difficulty are you stuck at? (Please be honest!)

• Settler

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Chieftain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warlord

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Noble

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Prince

Votes: 24 16.6%
  • Monarch

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • Emperor

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • Immortal

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Diety

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I CAN OWN THEM ALL BABY!

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters

CivIVMonger

Emperor
It's kinda hard to tell what people are playing by there number of posts, so I decided to make a poll of it!:) I'd say at this point (2 threads a week.) I'm at a good frequency, and I'm really interested to know what the majority of players are playing.
And I only have two species that I doubt exist. Storks, and Diety players:lol!:lol:

I'm currently playing at Noble. I have to learn how to deal with the maps I get (yes, I'm guilty of terrain-only worldbuildering at the start of the game); & also to develop better my empire on the early eras. I usually am less developed than I'd like to be on the ancient & classic eras, break even in the Medieval era & then get a comfty advantage onwards. I also play with somewhat small empires, although I like to do cultural conquests/culture flipping.

So do all noble players.:lol:

LAND IS POWER!
I'm not a warmonger (only war defensively, when trapped or when extremely pissed off). I prefer to squeeze out the potential of my moderately small empire by micromanagement, open trade & tech advantages.

I'm stuck on Deity (not diety, that's food), only won via AP cheese.

Immortal is very challenging though and all my wins have been peaceful except to dogpile someone or raze a city about to or just gone legendary :)

Go ahead and handycap yourself if you want Dragon.:rolleyes:

Expanding is like a vaccine. It hurts for a short time, but you end up protecting yourself and making you stronger. Micromanaging and opening trade are good, but they are still possible, (And would reap more benefit.) On a larger Empire. Big E this time!:)

Paradigm shifter: Good job, the porpose of this thread was to see how many elites like you are out there!:)

I play on Monarch when I want a challenge, though it's not really all that challenging any more. Sometimes, when I want a relaxing game, I play on Noble or Prince, where I can just be lazy and ignore all sorts of variables that are very important on the higher difficulties.

Certainly, I should have moved up to Emperor a long time ago, but I'm too lazy to micromanage my empire to that degree. I'd prefer to play on an easy difficulty level (Monarch), where I'm comfortable, than challenge myself constantly.

I have nothing to prove to myself, as I know that I can win on higher difficulties, if I apply myself. I did that constantly on early Civ games, but this time, I'm more interested in relaxing and playing, than on pushing myself to Deity.

I can win > 50% on immortal, which leaves deity.

If it's just winning on deity, I've done it on small (domination) and standard (AP), but the consistency there is...well it isn't consistent.

Is Deity considered impossible unless you have certain terrains + leader to go with it?

Like if you start without your UU resource for example, or start without a fishing capital even though you have the fishing tech.. you're already at a huge disadvantage.

edit: and to answer poll, I can beat prince 3/5 times and monarch about 1/5. I guess it all just depends in my above example...

i can play on monarch. except i find i use the worldbuilder a lot on monarch. usually just to give the barbs a palace or a bunch of troops, or maybe to move an army i never saw coming. on prince i always win with very little challenge, but monarch is often a lot to handle. Ive been contemplating turning off worldbuilder for my next game but its just so annoying to find a perfect city spot and then discover that its a tile away from a river and all the precious production a levee could give.

Is Deity considered impossible unless you have certain terrains + leader to go with it?

Like if you start without your UU resource for example, or start without a fishing capital even though you have the fishing tech.. you're already at a huge disadvantage.

edit: and to answer poll, I can beat prince 3/5 times and monarch about 1/5. I guess it all just depends in my above example...

No, it isn't considered impossible.

But, there are only a handful or two of players that post on this forum that can beat standard-settings deity on a regular basis. It's easily the biggest jump in the game and the AI bonuses are ridiculous. Take a noble player. Have him/her try playing immortal. Then note that in some ways, going from immortal to deity is HARDER than that ;).

Because he decides to only build a few cities. Probobly less than 6.

Honestly, I don't consider that handicapping yourself at all. The more you play the more you realize their is a large variety of styles that can and do win on any level.

standard-settings

I've always disagreed with this. There is absolutely no harm in ever picking your chosen leader on any level. Some people are quite spectacular players with 1 Leader - no one else. Just because someone else can win with random leaders doesn't make them a better player unless they win more frequently. If the person who only plays 1 leader has a better overall winning % on any given level, then they are the better bottom line player - assuming the random player cannot match their winning % if they use a single leader, which would be doubtful seeing how they have spread out their expertise.

I'm not really stuck on anything, as such. I mean, I've moved up to Prince, played one game, and won, so I'm not exactly stuck so much as on what seems to me a reasonably challenging level.

Honestly, I don't consider that handicapping yourself at all. The more you play the more you realize their is a large variety of styles that can and do win on any level.

I've always disagreed with this. There is absolutely no harm in ever picking your chosen leader on any level. Some people are quite spectacular players with 1 Leader - no one else. Just because someone else can win with random leaders doesn't make them a better player unless they win more frequently. If the person who only plays 1 leader has a better overall winning % on any given level, then they are the better bottom line player - assuming the random player cannot match their winning % if they use a single leader, which would be doubtful seeing how they have spread out their expertise.

Anyone can disagree with anything. There's some validity to your point - there are ins and outs of playing a civ or race where you can get a little better by focusing on them. This is not unique to civ - most top-of-the-line warcraft III players also use only 1 of the 4 races for example.

But, choosing one's own race doesn't necessarily mean you're not a "standard settings" player. Hell, I thought you *could* pick your own civ if you just click "play now".

But don't assume this "spread of expertise" is necessarily damning. I don't think, for example, that Unconquered Sun or ABigCivFan favor one civ or leader (or even a couple), and they're among the best players on the forum. Not everyone can do it, but some people have the talent to switch between leaders and styles and see the tradeoffs with less experience investment. For example, one of the warcraft III pros would switch between Undead and Orc. A lot of players like to argue that certain races match up better against others, and do doing that was advantageous. Whether that's true remains unclear, even today, but one thing that *is* certain is that some PLAYERS are weaker vs one or the other race, and this guy could play both equally well...either race on par with the best of the best in the world at that game.

The race variance in WC III is much greater than the trait/civ variance in Civ IV, but there are more nuances total due to the # of civs and traits. Still, it's not out of the question to learn the patterns. In fact, there's something to be said for playing random while learning at least at first, because it gives players the opportunity to 1) find the leader that's the best fit and 2) think critically on the advantages of their setup and how to use them in the context of the map.

Then there's always the factors like playing one civ becomes stale for some people and any benefit from doing it could be surpassed by the distraction of wanting to try new things. It's not a cut and dry "one civ, you'll be more effective" thing. That will vary from person to person.

As for what ISN'T standard settings, I'm talking about the more OBVIOUS things that cook a game and make a win on deity far more hollow:

1. Choosing soft leaders as OPPONENTS that allow you to manipulate your VC from the start of the game.
2. Picking map scripts where the AI is awful on purpose (do an islands start with 1 civ/island and high sea level for example ----> everyone gets a 6 city island or so, with minimal trades, and it's very easy to conquer people because they have poor production...this is obviously not the same as playing on fractal).
3. Playing "marathon" speed (it's been analyzed a lot - if a player intentionally manipulates marathon to its potential, it *is* easier...but this is more for other people, I know crusher realizes that marathon is easier already).
4. Removing tech brokering, turning tech trades off, etc
5. Permanent alliances (cmon...I can beat deity like >50% of the time using PAs, all you have to do is latch on to the #1 science or culture AIs and ride the storm).
6. No barbs
7. Exception to chosen civs: Inca + quecha rush.

That kind of stuff.

I'm in the gap between Noble and Prince. I've had a win on Prince but am still playing Noble to try and improve some aspects of my game first, mainly intercontinental invasion and just speed of early wars, that kind of thing. I'm also playing through the GOTMs just for amusement. Deity level is insane. the one game I played at that level I was conquered by Alex as I settled my second city. >_<

I play on noble, but I don't feel I'm stuck. I don't feel any need to move to a higher difficulty when this one is still challenging. I'm not trying to climb the difficulty ladder to get to deity, which is what most people seem to be doing.

Top Bottom