What do you expect/want in Civ VI?

Viregel

, The Rt. Hon.
I've just been wondering what people's opinions are on how Civ VI will be are. So, my own:

Civs.
Hope: I hope that there will be a TON of civs in this.
Likelihood: There will probably be quite a lot.

Systems.
Hope: Plz add colonies.
Likelihood: Nope.

More uniques.
Hope: There will be a third unique for civs!
Likelihood: Probably about a 50/50 chance.

So, what's everyone else's opinions? I kind of want to find out what people expect/want.

Civs.
Hope: I hope that there will be a TON of civs in this.
Likelihood: There will probably be quite a lot.

There could be all existing and past civs that have a known leader (even Civ1 and 2 had leaders), with dedicated city names, but with no uniques and no personnality. :D Civs would start real location-linked, with an option to desactivate it.

Systems.
Hope: Plz add colonies.
Likelihood: Nope.

I believe (hope) something will be done about the "empty land" status, so colonies could be a part of it. [barbarians could be reworked]

More uniques.
Hope: There will be a third unique for civs!
Likelihood: Probably about a 50/50 chance.

This is pretty much thought on the Civ5 model. They could decide to keep this model though.

As to me, I think that they should try to build up Civ6 on the issues of Civ5. (and potentially every other Civs) I think they should start to annihilate every kind of growth and expansion limitation. Like Civ5 without happiness. That way they would not need to implement silly features like denounciations or "feelings". The clashes would become natural, as the civs expand to each others. There would be the need to have a lot more factions or entities in the world though. Like Colonization Indians. (goody huts that live) Reworked barbarians. (being true civs you can make pacts with. By default they would be at war with everybody though. For realism purpose they should be numerous and overridding themselves. They would be at war with each others, except when their territory in threatened by a regular civ, in this case they may unite more or less. Ideally you could play as them. They would spawn at start, and become barbarians according to their social policies choice, or the one of other civ(s) around) Etc.

The civs that will make it in VI are:

- America
- Arabia
- Aztecs
- China
- Egypt
- England
- France
- Germany
- Greece
- India
- Japan
- Ottoman
- Persia
- Rome
- Russia

I think they should just start from scratch but they'll already have their mistakes to look back on, and we might get a system that we never thought of. :)

i'd like to see vietnam in civ 6, though not with a completely viet cong era focus.
i definitely would not like to see civs be the same, though. even in civ 1 they had minor differences, even if it didn't come down to unique units and such.

You mean like in every single iteration of Civilization but V?

I think that most people appreciate the current quality of the leaderscreens, so it's a fair point to look for an easier way to keep the current quality but still get them produced faster. I'd say that's the only thing that stops us from having a lot more civs in Civ V; the artists presumably take longer than the programmers, so they can't get civs produced as fast.

Rogue CS, which could act as pirate nations. Get the agressive statut de facto, but by gifting gold, can became secretly your ally and allow you to use their units to war other civ undercover.

I would like more diplomacy. and play with more than 22civs in a game. make the game from a world map and remove the tiles and use province maybee. a more real world game. they should fix the turn time. civ v is so slow and alot of waiting.

The ability to have multiple leaders per civ (each with their own advantages/personalities). The possibility would then exist for revolutions within AI civs, where one of these multiple leaders is deposed by one of the other leaders of that civ.

Imagine having a peaceful neighbour whose government was taken over by a warmonger...or any civ which was clearly headed in one direction being taken in another by a change of leader.

Would you prefer to start next to a Mongol who will invade your lands win all your work or a Mongol who will invade your land and burn it? Kublai or Genghis?

Also who would be the nice Hun?

The ability to have multiple leaders per civ (each with their own advantages/personalities). The possibility would then exist for revolutions within AI civs, where one of these multiple leaders is deposed by one of the other leaders of that civ.

Imagine having a peaceful neighbour whose government was taken over by a warmonger...or any civ which was clearly headed in one direction being taken in another by a change of leader.

Agree. Like a tournament mode, at end of each era there'd be a chance that nations near bottom place in power\cultural ranking categories would have their leader replaced by another. This would require at least 2-3 leaders available per tribe.
My other ideas are:
1 Much lesser corruption and commercial\cultural penalties for imperialistic expansion. This would mean bigger MAP sizes.
2. Bringing back power and reputation rankings(tribes listed from first to last) like in civ2 as well as having a cultural ranking. Alliances-like in civ2
3 For each tribe several more: Leaders(each with own personality), unique units, unique buildings, unique national wonders, unique great people and military generals.
3. Adding back great religions but keeping them historically accurate for each leader. Religions could include: monotheistic: Christian catholic, protestant and orthodox(each separate), Islam, Judaism- only If Hebrews are in the game, Buddhism, Great Spirit-Amerindian, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, etc. Also Hinduism, Polytheism and blood cult-Mesoamerican. Blood cult could be considered repulsive by monotheistic leaders and lead to war. There could also be communism as an option. All leaders would have a ranking of favourite government types and great religion.
4.Grouping all tribes into cultural groups-like in civ3. examples: African, European, Middle Eastern, Oriental, Amerindian, Indian. Each cultural group would have different: style of palace, citizen faces in city screen, building types and units available to be build. For example only Christian leaders- except Orthodox ones would be able to build Knights(others would build inferior Heavy Horsemen), only Catholics'd build Crusaders, knights Templar and Teutonic knights, only Middle Eastern and Oriental tribes' d build Horse Archers (unless having a unique unit), stuff like that.
5. Adding buildings and improvements like: Tavern-where you could hire out mercenary units(they'd be expensive but could mean keeping or losing your city in a time of war). Town Hall(Centre)-to fight corruption, sewer systems-to grow cities and highways- build by workers in modern era.
6. Dividing all nations into color groups similar to civ1 and civ2, each nations flag\symbol would be included within it's color groups color. This would ensure adding dozens of new tribes to the game. Examples: color:(variation of blue)-available tribes-France\Franks(Holy Roman Empire)\Gauls\Normans, other groups: Rome\Italy\Venice\Genoa, Great Britain\England, Greece\Byzantium\Macedonia\Minoans, Germany\Prussia\Goths, Viking(Scandinavia)\Sweden\Denmark\Norway. This would ensure no overlapping on Earth maps and using the same city names(maybe even same leaders: Greece and Macedonia-Alexander). Player would be able to choose any nation in the game and each tribe wouldn't be able to square off only against 2 or 3 opponents.
Game designers would only have to make sure there are no tribes grouped together which have had historical contact- for players to recreate history a bit and not grouping culturally linked tribes in the same color group, for example not having Aztecs, Maya and Inca together in one color group,-also for the sake of Earth scenarios.
7. Several ways units would engage in a fight(several fight sequences). For example when attacking with Cavalry the unit would first fire their rifles over range before getting adjacent to the attacked unit where they'd fire again and then switch to swordplay, Legions would use their Pilum first before switching to the Gladius, Cataphract-which were armoured horse archers would fire a salvo of arrows over distance before engaging enemy with their swords, and so on. This would apply to most pre modern era units in the game.
8. Units could be produced in numbers. For example in a city you wanted to produce spearmen, you could have an option of producing the standard of 100 warriors, 500 or a thousand of these, each higher than standard number would take more time and resources to produce but you could get cost cuts upon ordering more than standard number. The higher the number of warriors in a unit the more warriors would appear on the playing map.
9. All units produced in cities should have population costs, this could be offset by more food produced by the tiles in the game. Units could be supported from the cities of origin, like in civ2.
10. Adding more tribes like: Great Britain, Scotland, Vikings(Scandinavia), Norway, Prussia, Goths, Saxons, Switzerland, Etruscans, Italy, Genoa, Celts(current Wales and Cornwall), Ireland, Franks, Gauls, Normandy, Ukraine(originally Kiyevan Rus), Crimean Tartars, Scythia, Slavs, Serbia, Czechs, Hungary, Bulgaria, Macedonia(ancient-Alexander and Phillip would be the leaders and Phalanx and Companions unique units), Thrace, Minoans(Ancient Crete), Phoenicia, Israelites\Hebrews, Canaan, Hittites, Lydia, Parthia, Medes, Sumeria, Gupta, Mauryan empire, Malaysia, Maori, Australia, Canada, Inuit(or Eskimo), Sioux\Cheyenne, Apache, Toltec, Olmec, Nazca, Zande, Nubia, Moors(based In Spain), and several others.
11. More unique units like: Ming Warrior, Junk, Samurai, Ronin, Ansar Warrior, Mamluke, Vulture, T32(T34) tank, strelets, katyusha, teutons, Tiger tank, U-boat, Viking-separate from Berserk, Man-o-War, blue jacket cavalry, raj warrior, trireme, Spartan, Praetorian, Chasqui scout, Brave-Amerindian, dog warrior, Horde-Mongols, Ulan cavalry(Poland), short axe warrior, cuirassier, Abrams tank, Spitfire fighter, MIG fighter, and more.
12 Other units: slingers available to all nations who historically used them, heavy horsemen, skirmishers, dragoons, ironclads, howitzers, grenadiers, axemen, bowmen-first primitive archery unit-, envoys-available in ancient era could establish embassies and bribe units, caravans-to boost commerce, curragh-like in civ3 but able to transport one unit, helicopter gunships, dive bombers, WWI planes and tanks, and many more
13. Table of traits\personalities applied to each leader. The categories could be: Aggression, Expansion, Science, Militarism, Religion, Industry, Monument\Wonder building, Agriculture, Commerce, Trade, Exploration, Colonialism, Seafaring(naval), airforce, diplomacy-skill, culture\art, etc. Each leader would have a score in each field, high score would mean some kind of bonus in that field, average-no changes, and low would mean some kind of penalty in that field. This could be done to historical accuracy, as much as possible
Sorry if any of these points are undoable or make little sense. Been playing mostly the previous Civ editions to this point.
If you read all this I salute you!

Would you prefer to start next to a Mongol who will invade your lands win all your work or a Mongol who will invade your land and burn it? Kublai or Genghis?

Also who would be the nice Hun?

Well, there is nothing to say that a more passive leader wouldn't invade if they thought you were weak, its just that conquest wouldn't be that AIs preferred method of winning.

Also, if they are going to put in a "barbarian" civ I would much rather have the Visigoths then the Huns, since they actually did form a state after sacking Rome.

Going further with the replacing of leaders idea:
At end of each era the last place nation would get eliminated from the game, it's cities gone from the map, territory left for others to settle. The second last place tribe would have their leader replaced through revolution. For example: Game starts with 15 tribes, at end of Ancient Era the 15 place tribe in overall power\culture ranking would be eliminated from the game while the 14th place tribe would have their leader replaced, all providing no tribes had been conquered till that time. To be fair this rule would apply to human players as well. This would add more incentive for players to do well, or else. This could be called league or tournament mode and be turned off or on prior to starting a game.
Civil Wars- an important part of history of many nations. Liked the original idea of civil war happening once a tribe lost it's capital in war. Civil wars could also happen when changing state religion, in oligarchy governments and when a group of colonial towns declares themselves independent.
Population migration- in later eras the culturally and economically backwards tribes could lose some of their cities population in favour of large and culturally\commercially rich large cities of another civ, thus creating non conquest borne minorities.
Leaders speaking own tongue in negotiations and units responding to commands in own language.
Mexico could be in as one of the nations as well as Amerindia-city names would consist of names of north American tribe names, like Powhatan, Iroquois, Lakota and Kiowa, and so on
Red coats, navy seals, warangian guard, praetorian and colonist are some of the units I originally forgot to add I think.
Lightly\non armoured mounted units like horse archers or cavalry should be faster than heavy ones like knights and war elephants.
Common units like archers, spearmen and riflemen could have the cultural features of their respective cultural groups. For example Incan crossbowmen would look different than their French, Zulu or Indonesian counterparts, not all of them looking like Caucasian warriors.
Those are my suggestions to an overall simply the best strategy game(series) ever created!

A dynamic -according to land shape, similarly to Civ5 cities borders expansion, but taking into account road, sea with Sailing, air with flight, etc...- evolution of cultural appartenance of cities. That way, far away / isolated cities would more or less quickly become independent / merge with a closest / closest culturally entity. This would also drive conquered cities to rebel soon or later, for a more realistic and dynamic environment throughout the game, and would also make the things more fair during every era of the game (soon or late), as runaways would be redimentionned periodically, and more and new challenges for the player. You can still conquer but now for key, limited in the time and strategical purposes. (> victory points?) Small tribe at the start would be a lot less likely to rebel than true civs conquered cities.

To comment on daft talking about civil wars : citizens' opinion would appear. When there are one or several shisms, some cities start to become independent and revendicate something. After some time, you have the decision to join either side of the shism : note that at this point, you don't know yet the whole physionomy of the country : you don't know how many cities will be in which side. At this point you have tools to influence the side each city will join. (costing gold, or simply by answering questions in the form of events a la Civ4 events) Plus don't forget that once the war ended, you will have to truly apply your side's revendications.

Armies : It's no longer 1 UPT, but 1 APT (Army Per Tile). Armies have a limited number of slots, that you can fill with units. Upgrades can extend this number (through an army general upgrade path or more commonly army or Generals promotions) The slots are sorted logically, with a front, sides, ranged, a back, and maybe a rearguard or procession (logistic units? foods ammos, looters improving your economy -gold bonuses, etc.)

Graphics / Animation : most of the tiles have traces of human presence : caves, camp fires / rest of camp fires, people walking / chasing, blood on the floor (wink to a Civ5 bug ;), monuments, huts, wonders ? (stonehenge), etc... (feel short here)
Gameplay : minor tribes populates a lot of the land around our first city. We can deal with them, declare them war (easy to conquer), invite them in our city, give them agriculture, and they can teach us new techs as goody huts and ruins did in the past. They ideally are merged with city-states, can become either CSs, civs or barbs.

Ideally ther player can be either a tribe, civ, CS, or barbs. It would be so cool to be barbarians ! Tribes ? Not really. :( But, there could be a difference in traditional civilizations and tribes working : they could both achieve the metropolis status, but by different ways. For example tribes path could be seen a little like Civ2 Fundamentalism, exept that the choice would be took at the very beginning of the game. (could be changed midway ?)

Maybe every tribe would start off as barbarians, it is to say : undistinguished and agressive with everybody. It's only by having treaties with them (some time very soon, at the fist encounter in the case of pacifist tribes) that you can make peace with them, and trade. The other barbarians form a big geographical impassable (for civilian unit only) frontier, shaping the land like mountains did in V.

Some of the ideas above would definitely need some change in the different civilizations design, because we would need a lot, lot, lot of them. Would it be the disappearance of leaders ? I think that city names must be kept. (as well as a real civs starting points connections option, which is sadly absent of Civ5)

I only play Civ when I get frustrated by the jarheads at Creative Assembly.

Civ V has superior building, culture and campaign dynamics.
However, nothing can beat the suspense of having to face 1000 barbarians on a real battlefield.

I can't get over the battlefield portion even though the rest of TW is broken.

Computers have come a long way since Civ 1/2.
My computer actually performs better with Rome 2 than Civ 5.

I think it's time that Civ takes off the gloves and prove they can be the best civilization AND strategic warfare game on the market.

FUTURE TECH!

It seems the game ends with current technology, barring the space ship whoe peaces have little use beyond the ship itself. In fact it is behind current science: where are the particle accelerators? laser guns? ocean tunnels? computer hacking spies? drones?! I'm not going full fledged SMAC here, but a little forward vission would be nice. The mecha and xcom units are a good start and I want to see more of that.

And end the game in 2100, not 2050.

You know what? I'd rather see a new SMAC , than CIV6.

from what I've read here and in other post , I can see that I have imagined for civ VI is not that far of what others think .
Come on then , first there is something I do not understand why it was not placed in Civ V :
1 ) to search more than one technology at a time . For example , in the beginning everything was fine until the classical one tech at a time , but then , historically , is researching several fields at once . This would open the range to a larger tree with more technological improvements and buildings . What I propose is that according to your strategy you put more science in a tech you want to find out fast ! and passing of eras opens you the option to browse more X tech . (Ex. 3 medieval tech was a time; Renaissance tech 5 at a time and so on )
2 ) Just like search more than one tech at a time can build cities in more than one thing at a time ! . Back to say to classical era or depending on the size of the city 's fine coisaa one at a time ... but it is absurd in a city was only able to build modern laboratory or police = / station. My conception could build units while buildings and al other thing that comes to my mind should be changed in Civ VI
3 ) the tiles surrounding cities only serve to farms or trading posts , that if no tiles with strategic / luxury resources . Mining and quarrying okay I admit can not be moved around now , features such as cattle, sheep and horses should be able to be changed place. (not sure if expresem me well about it ) tiles around could be worked according to the city that you are lifting - forward- commerce City oh yeah trading posts around or until other improvements aimed at commerce ; Rural Cities ruarais improvements; industrial cities with tiles that leverage production. As already introduced the concept of caravans and realistic optica a nation works this way ... not all cities are industrial or rural .
4 ) More and more leaders drifts . I saw somewhere talking about it , going beyond the post spoke to put more of a leader duranre the game , thus changing the strategy without conceding so many penalties . Ex Starts the game with cultural focus , but in the course solves catch a militaristic leader and expassão , but in the end try another leading to technological victory . (I'm just rambling here ... but historically we see it ... several civilizations have changed the way of thinking through the ages )
5) Espionage. Today we can not call what we have in Civ V espionage .... very weak and without any development ... improve .... please remember previous Civ when you could sabotage buildings, generate internal, etc. intrigues. I read some article here also talking about the World Congress and absurd penalties. also need to be improved.
6) I saw Ruse game and how it works with macro and micro management and thought this could be adapted to Civ. a game that brings an exciting opening (Vanilla) shows where in the end the camp near the river amidst the mountains ... wish I could see it in the game (no need to be all the time) Civ IV was to see the city (as well weak but had) wanted it.
7) Army. Li also talking about stacking units to form an army. Agree. three different join to form an army units. Eg one unit long reach another cavalry unit and a soldier would form an army. Or two of one and one of the other three ... but never the same. And please take fewer penalties when a city. Absurd penalty. Another important thing to talk about is when you declare war on a civ and then she is your enemy forever. Was also told that at some c/omment.
8) socias Policies. has to change. mixed types of government social policies ... not like. What did they do now with the ideologies should do with the forms of government. Monarchy, theocentrism, State, Democracy, Socialism ... etc should come apart and each with its branch of development with lower costs and if, for example you want to change from one to another costs are not as absurd as they are today to change ideology.
I believe these are the key in my opinion ... still have things to talk about how religion that not even covered here or how to win or cultural domination. but al comment on what you think ... if you agree or not. Many here in Brazil say they have to detail more about the game leaves it more intriguing, living up to the title of best strategy game of the last 15-20 years.

Top Bottom