1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you miss the most from previous versions of Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Snarf054, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Ideologies from Civilization V BNW, & the Theming Bonuses for Great Works placed in Wonders.

acluewithout likes this.
  2. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Chieftain

Things I miss:

1. Being able to play tall.
    2. Vox Populi corporations
    3. Civ 5 late game unit balance.
    4. Strategic Resource balance
    5. Vassalage
    6. AI having personalities from Civ 5. This spoiled me rotten, the agenda system is super lazy and lame compared to this.
    7. AI trash talk, insults, and jeering from Civ:BE. Civ5 has some of this.
    8. AI airpower actually working and meaningful.
    9. Unit Movement rules
    10. The AI getting together to dogpile you if you try to sweep the map nonstop.
    11. AI warnings about your behavior.
    12. Being able to bribe AIs to fight each other.
    13. Sharing intel/intrigue about other civs plotting against others.
    14. AIs coveting your land!

When I step back and look at this list, earlier versions of Civ were alot more "intimate" than 6 could ever be. I guess that is why it is called a sandbox I guess....

Civrinn, acluewithout and CoconutTank like this.
  3. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

I just started a Civ IV game and saw that "bonus" resources actually had some use by adding health to cities, instead of just being a +1 yield. And actually motivated you to have a variety of them to have more healthy cities. Civ VI could definitely use this system back, to give bonus resources a better reason to be, and to add an extra dimension to chopping or not.

acluewithout and WillowBrook like this.
  4. Sostratus

Sostratus Warlord

Someone liked one of my posts in this thread, so I was browsing old replies. It has made me remember that one huge change between 5 and 6 was how movement works - before you could use your last movement point to enter a new hex regardless, now you must have the full cost available.
    So you used to be able to move a warrior onto flat plains and then onto plains hill with his last movement. Now you can only move onto the flat plains; you'd need 3 total move to cross both tiles int he new system.

I actually miss the system from the standpoint that it makes movement much more OP than it probably should be - kiting slow units with fast ones in rough terrain is almost egregiously good. the difference from 3->4 move is massive compared to 2->3. Conveniently, knights have 4 move...

CoconutTank likes this.
  5. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Yes, "bonus" resources in VI are rather boring, especially compared with IV. If there is a third expansion, I expect they will do something more interesting with them, like they overhauled strategics for GS.