What do you miss the most from previous versions of Civ?

Snarf054

Chieftain
Was playing yesterday and humming along quite nicely until I of course ran out of oil. There are 3 oil north of my lands just begging to be harvested but they are in the middle of Tundra and coastal access is blocked on both sides by ice so you might as well be land locked. All I could think of at the time was how much I missed the ability to run some workers out there to make a colony on that oil like you could in Civ III (Still my favorite)

What previous features do you miss?

Was playing yesterday and humming along quite nicely until I of course ran out of oil. There are 3 oil north of my lands just begging to be harvested but they are in the middle of Tundra and coastal access is blocked on both sides by ice so you might as well be land locked. All I could think of at the time was how much I missed the ability to run some workers out there to make a colony on that oil like you could in Civ III (Still my favorite)

Try the mod Strategic Forts by TC

I prefer the "colony style" of non-penalizing small cities dotted in tundra to all other options we had before.

I miss passive effects from spying points, such as enemy territory visibility, tech visibility... That was in Civ IV Beyond the Sword i believe. I'm always frustrated not being able to see my rivals territories. Also, i think the point system without spys was more enjoyable that the spy units we are playing with now.

I also miss the ability to trade maps with others civs. Like i said, i like seeing all territories. I know that other civs gives passage agreements quite easily but it still a pain to see my old primitives scouts struggling to scout territories that are very far (when they have not already died ).

I thinks it would be nice too if we could give units to others civs. I remember some good games where i had given plenty of units to an AI that was at war with a friend of mine. He was surprised by the resistance of this small civ !

And i also miss that the "tall" strategy is not as rewarding as it was before.

But i have to says i still enjoy greatly Civ VI which has plenty of good game mechanics!

And i miss FFH!

From Civ I: Newspaper and its headlines. Palace building. Large AI civilizations potentially having civil war and splitting up in two, upon loss of their capital.

From Civ II: Advisers and their counsel. Throne room. Faster movement along rivers (rivers act like roads). Music.

From Civ III: Leader banter. Country borders not being actual impenetrable walls w/o open borders. Absence of unit teleportation. Luxury trade being available only if your trade can reach that AI civ.

From Civ IV: Well, everything or close to it. Mostly, difficulty and difficulty levels being a thing. Diplomacy. Industrial Revolution. Mass production of units and their mass dying in war. War trumpets that scare you s***less. Neck to neck race to victory. Wild animals, barbs and barb cities. And so on.

The modding capabilities from civ4 and civ5.

/broken record
The scenario and map editors from III (even II) as I am not a computer coder and have limited typing skills. III's editor allowed me to build the world I wanted to play on and the Leader I wanted to play so I could play Civ my way, to kill time when I had nothing important to do. Since III the "Modability of Civ has become more complicated for we who were in school before typing (for males) and especially computer programing were classes available for students to take.

The scenario and map editors from III (even II) as I am not a computer coder and have limited typing skills. III's editor allowed me to build the world I wanted to play on and the Leader I wanted to play so I could play Civ my way, to kill time when I had nothing important to do. Since III the "Modability of Civ has become more complicated for we who were in school before typing (for males) and especially computer programing were classes available for students to take.
I think that it's possible that they've tried to combine the best of both world (simple to use tools and still allowing complex modding) but development time took priority on other aspect of the game and the tools are not finished yet, resulting in relatively complex to use tools not allowing complex modding.

They're still working on those tools, the change to the WB being the most visible, and maybe they also plan to add some scripts to modbuddy and the asset editor to simplify the creation of new civilizations with 2D art, and even possibly simple creation of full units (buildings, improvements ?) using the power of the attachment system for 3D assets.

I miss the late game unit balance of civ5 - specifically, how they had modern era units all need oil but advanced units needed aluminum. Yet oil units weren't totally obsolete either -instead of a 50% power gap they were more like 25% - it was sort of, you build as many aluminum units you can afford, and then you fill in with oil tier or resource less (bazooka- great unit.) I think 6 suffers from the lack of that dichotomy at the end game, and the fact that where 5 had resource deposits of 2,6,8, civ6 has fuel deposits of 3. That kinda sucks.

I also miss one aspect of corporations from 4 - a usage for duplicate lux and bonus resources. It was fun.

And while I'm riding down the civ4 memory superhighway, between civ4 and civ5 BNW i felt like you spent a lot of time in the first 2/3 of the game fighting against your own internal economy just with how gold, happiness, and/or health was balanced. I kinda miss that. I also really miss the city connection mechanic. I think it would be a great thing to come back under the loyalty mechanic, possibly domestic trade routes too.

Last one: national wonders! I think the district and tile system in civ6, plus aura and adjacency effects, would lead to some crazy fun wonder concepts.

And i miss FFH!
I really miss the zany scenarios they had in IV. Gods of old, final frontier, nextwar, FFH... When I look at Earth maps even now, 15 years later, I always scheme about recreating the Great Southern Empire. That said, I rank the Scramble for Africa scenario from V as one of the best scenarios I've ever experienced. I played that so many times just because it was such a riot from all the different countries' perspectives.

Things I miss. Social Policies. Cultural pressure effecting happiness etc. (Civ V). National Wonders (but not the requirement to have all Cities to have x building, which is a massive nerf to wide play). Meaningful, but not overwhelming, empire management - eg corruption.

William of Orange and Elizabeth. Dutch East India Company.

Things I do not miss and do not want back. Corporations or Economic Victory. Disease. Slavery or whipping.

What do you miss the most from previous versions of Civ?

There would be a lot to say, from ability to vassalize to the religious migration, going througth the cultural border expansion and others more organics system from past Civilization (I, II, III and IV, the 'true' ones).. but one above all, and by far, is the ability to stack units.

Stack of Doom was not ideal of course, but compare to the disastrous click-feast and AI stupidity induced with the current 1UPT, it's far more pleasant and interesting. Good sense would have designed an in-between system with limited stacking and mecanism to mitigate the SoD. Alas it's not what happened. And now we have an uninteresting tactical layer added to the game, with lot of induced scale problems, that completely alienate and harm the game experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom