What do you think about graphics of the game? (poll)

On a scale 1-10, I think graphics of Civ6 is...

• 1 - beyond redemption and I'm not buying the game because of it

Votes: 8 2.7%

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 3 - so ugly they must have done it on purpose

Votes: 21 7.2%

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 5 - as ugly as all 2K games recently, but thankfully, I don't play them for graphics

Votes: 20 6.8%

Votes: 32 10.9%
  • 7 - not going to the Louvre but I like it

Votes: 83 28.3%

Votes: 64 21.8%
  • 9 - really fantastic and I'm positively surprised

Votes: 51 17.4%
  • 10 - the new standard for quality of graphics in modern games

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like it more or less (7), but I think they could have improved on some things like the stone resource and the look of the hills as well as the grass color maybe. The fog of war is nice, reminds me of Europa Universalis. In terms of artistic direction it's fine.

Marbozir and Quill vids got me excited now. The art looks great with the UI and actual in game animations. It might help that just about everything regarding gameplay that they talked about sounds absolutely amazing .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It looks really good when zoomed out, it's very clear what's what. When you zoom in really far and are looking at once city's worth of tiles then it looks pretty silly, but who's going to spend the game looking at tiles like that?

Went from a low 5 to a high 5 after a couple weeks of screenshots and videos. I went from "this will take a some time to get used to" to "I'm over it".

I think I said this on the 2K forums but you can't change the Civ art style to very realistic like Total War. It would clash with the high level abstraction of the game mechanics. With that level of graphics it would feel wrong to not have more detail in the numbers, troop types, tactics etc.

Is it even possible to have Total War like graphics for 6,000 years of history? The amount of art work would bankrupt the company.

I think if you want that level of graphics it makes more sense to go to the Total War forums and petition for more detailed and intricate campaign map mechanics. It would be less of a design shift for them.

Is it even possible to have Total War like graphics for 6,000 years of history? The amount of art work would bankrupt the company.

I think if you want that level of graphics it makes more sense to go to the Total War forums and petition for more detailed and intricate campaign map mechanics. It would be less of a design shift for them.

Number of units in latest TW games is generally bigger than in Civ games. Yes, there are a lot of reuses, but it also has great variety within units, which is don't needed for game like Civilization.

So, it's not a question of technical implementation, funny thing is - it's a question of immersion. If you go all-realism path, there will be a point where you understand what your units are thousands years old and at some point of history require several hundred years to move to another place, etc. This point will be immersion-breaker.

Civilization has a lot of abstractions in gameplay, so this needs to be reflected in graphics as well, so you don't ask yourself questions like why there's not enough space on a tile to host both warrior and archer.

I've warmed up to the style quite a lot, especially after seeing the fully zoomed out screen released today.

I voted a 6, but I'd give it at least a 7 now (8 if they add deciduous trees!). Edit: wonder if it's because it's FIRaxis games :p

I hope to learn to like the graphics, but my initial and sustained feeling is disappointment. I did not buy Civ V because of 1UPT, and I am sad it remains. stealth_nsk stated:

Civilization has a lot of abstractions in gameplay, so this needs to be reflected in graphics as well

and I have to disagree. While the Civ games cannot be a direct simulation and therefore is forced to have some abstraction, it would be better if they could be minimized. In the case of the art, it seems to be getting further and further from being immersive. More realistic, historically accurate art could still have color coded roofs to aid in discernment. Culturally and functionally distinct art for units has been there in the last few versions of Civ.

I guess it makes money sense to move the whole franchise in the direction of consoles or phone games.

The gameplay sounds amazing, I am looking forward to that in a big way. I probably will get used to the art. But I was still disappointed.

The gameplay sounds amazing, I am looking forward to that in a big way. I probably will get used to the art. But I was still disappointed.

I hear you. I hope day and night cycle system is fleshed out and customizable. That's one way to make the map look less like a sunny golf course.

The more screenshots I see the more I love that map-style of the areas not currently in line of sight. That looks better and is easier to spot than the simple darkening of those areas in CiV.

I guess it makes money sense to move the whole franchise in the direction of consoles or phone games.

To me that makes no sense. If you state the gameplay sounds amazing than it surely isn't going the mobile-market-way. 64bit and multithreaded AI is another point here. And I really don't consider the graphics as being "mobile-graphics". I understand that obviously you and many others do. Just because they are bright and colourful? The quality is much higher/better than in any mobile-game I've seen...

And I take the first over the second one anytime (and I didn't dislike CiV-graphics at All!):

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Don't wanna argue with you in any way, it's just a question of taste after all!! (I know it sounds a bit like it, but really: no )
And it will be days, not weeks for the first "toned done graphics mod".

Last but not least its good tradition on these forums to rally about the graphics of upcoming Civilization iterations so it just the same procedure as every time. So I'm good. :)

IDC.
I've never played Civilization or (not played) any 4x/strategy games because of graphics.

For all I care we could go back to 2D and icons if it meant putting that money into better AI.

Why do I see so many of these comments? A better AI can be experienced by playing actual human beings. A strategy experience with a near infinite population of difficult opponents can be had by playing board games like Risk or Monopoly against fellow humans.

One of the reasons people love computer based strategy games is for the possibility of immersion and role playing. That is heavily influenced by having decent graphics relative to the available technology. I can honestly say that if Firaxis turned back to 16 bit moving squares for the graphics but made the AI near-human quality, I'd never bother with it. I can't role play or get immersed in graphics that remind me of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. Not in this day and age.

That being said, I'm really digging the graphics. I don't need super realistic graphics to become immersed... but I just don't see how people can play in strategic view. Why not just play a board game or card game with other people? I guess I just don't have the same taste.

Why do I see so many of these comments? A better AI can be experienced by playing actual human beings. A strategy experience with a near infinite population of difficult opponents can be had by playing board games like Risk or Monopoly against fellow humans.

One of the reasons people love computer based strategy games is for the possibility of immersion and role playing. That is heavily influenced by having decent graphics relative to the available technology. I can honestly say that if Firaxis turned back to 16 bit moving squares for the graphics but made the AI near-human quality, I'd never bother with it. I can't role play or get immersed in graphics that remind me of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. Not in this day and age.

Well, playing human beings requires a lot of time and coordination, which is why people who doesn't have the luxury of time (like me) prefer playing PC games on our own time schedule, and single player. On the personal note, I don't really have the patience to wait for 6+ other humans to play their turns ... zzz.
When I can manage to gather with friends we play board games (and not Risk or Monopoly which are like the 16 bit stuff you described, lol).

Generally speaking, for the immersion and role playing people play role playing games.
And talking about 2D doesn't mean old graphics like 16bit. Just not the eye candy of 3D, which is "nice" but IMHO unnecessary for these games.

I can acknowledge there is a huge difference between Civ 1 and Civ 5, but for me at least, I don't care about the graphical differences between Civ 4, 5 and 6.
I could easily play current Civilization with Civ 3 graphics. They were nice enough.

I get what you're saying. However, Role playing games are immersive at the individual level. But to be immersed in the role of Empire building and to role play the leader of a nation, these 4x games are perfect. I agree that 2d doesn't mean old graphics and I could get immersed in a 2d experience that was really well designed (like an updated civ3). But I'm really happy with what I'm seeing of Civ6. The first 3 screenshots left me nervous but the gameplay footage has assuaged my fears.

Playing against AIs and Humans are completely different things. Playing with humans will never give the "This is an immersive world"-experience, it's always a competitive thing. Even after having played tons of WC3 and SC2 competitively in the past I have no interest in the multiplayer part of Civ, it's just not what I expect from this game, I want a world that I can manipulate, that I can shape, not a world that is full of other players that I'm competing with. To get a decent challenge in such a world without it just feeling like you're a small fish among Gods (like it's the case in Civ 5) the AI must be decent, too.

The graphics is very good. And it will only get better in the future. Actually, it looks a lot better than in Civ V.

I hope they can improve those blocky borders.

Top Bottom