What do you think about graphics of the game? (poll)

On a scale 1-10, I think graphics of Civ6 is...

• 1 - beyond redemption and I'm not buying the game because of it

Votes: 8 2.7%

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 3 - so ugly they must have done it on purpose

Votes: 21 7.2%

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 5 - as ugly as all 2K games recently, but thankfully, I don't play them for graphics

Votes: 20 6.8%

Votes: 32 10.9%
  • 7 - not going to the Louvre but I like it

Votes: 83 28.3%

Votes: 64 21.8%
  • 9 - really fantastic and I'm positively surprised

Votes: 51 17.4%
  • 10 - the new standard for quality of graphics in modern games

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
cseanny,

civ 6 is more about gameplay. Bf1 graphics. I dont remember many players complaining about the graphics for blizzards diablo or starcraft 2. Same with civ 6. It is not that big of a deal.

@ RohirrimElf

SC2 Lotv graphics are amazing and one of my favorite games. I too play Civ for gameplay (Civ IV - certainly not 5 but that's for a different thread). Just throwing in my 2 cents about the graphics. One of my favorite older games is Might and Magic II (late 80's in HS yay!) which had horrible graphics.

So really, if you make a game that has worthwhile content I'd be happy to play with stick figures ;).

cseanny,

just finished a civ 4 marathon game today :) Still love that game. Played it thousands of hours more then civ 5. Also a big fan of the earlyer might and magic titles. I did actually play homm3 a few months ago. Some games are just to good not to pick up again after a while.

Plus, not least, the colours seem 10 times less saturated in the video!
That's actually just an artifact of whatever process quill18 & Marbozir used to edit the video; if you look at the PCGamer or Polygon versions in which the video is unedited, they're just as saturated as the screenshots.

The saturation itself doesn't really bother me. It's more the lack of texture and over-exaggerated forms that make everything look like childrens' bath toys. It looks very functional, and that's what matters, but it's still pretty ugly.

That's actually just an artifact of whatever process quill18 & Marbozir used to edit the video ...
Oh, too bad. Well, I still think it does look better in the video than in those first shots, and I do think it looks a bit less hyper-saturated, but that might just be the zoom level, the terrain, or whatever we see.

Actually, the more I look at it, the more I like it. It is a lot cleaner. And I hope they can beef it up a bit, especially the water/ocean/river textures. The forests are nicely stylized. The game looks and feels really promising :)

Well, after looking at the PCGamer-Video I have to downgrade my rating from 8 to 7. Bummer, I thought they had actually desaturated the colors.

But the overall design is still beautiful.

All in all, these graphics are really reminding me of Civ Rev. While of course there will probably be a higher level of detail in terms of game mechanics, I still can't get through that things look dubbed down significantly.

Won't be buying the game till I see details in terms of gameplay, especially in terms of an actual United Nations kind of congress, which I fear they might choose to ignore...

Imo, the graphics appeared far better in motion than they did in static screenshots. (Perhaps they did something to the colors after the mixed reception, though.) In any case, as long as they're not absolutely horrendous, graphics are a relatively minor part of my Civ experience. So I'd still have played the game with the bright and cartoony graphics, but now with the slightly more washed-out look I have no issues with the graphics, although depending on their quality I might look into some graphical mods at some point. The ridiculous toy-swords of the swordsmen units need to go though, as they remind me too much that I'm playing a computer game instead of turning continents communist-red with the blood of foul unbelievers. :p

I have watched the entire gameplay videos on YouTube (almost one hour long) and I still dislike very much the cartoonish graphics of Civ 6.
On top of that it looks to me that Civ 6 gameplay is very similar to Civ 5, it's like a Civ 5 mod.

This is very disappointing.

I am NOT paying $60 for a Civ 5 Cartoonish Mod. :shake:

Of course the gameplay is similar to Civilization 5, it's the same series?! I don't understand these people saying it's like a dlc, mod, etc and why they would release Civilization 6, well yeah they could just drop the Civilization series completely etc lol. They are a company which earns money through games so of course they work on new games x.x' The core elements will and are the same in every Civilization and they aren't going to be like Call of duty if you expect that. Oh I remember the criticizing about Civilization 5 back then, I guess some people reject any new things so they just want these things to disappear. (like releasing no Civilization games anymore since Civ 5, 4 etc is soo great)

New things are always just bastardizations of older, better things. Why the fax machine is just a waffle iron with a phone attached.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

On top of that it looks to me that Civ 6 gameplay is very similar to Civ 5, it's like a Civ 5 mod.

This is very disappointing.

If I remember correctly, Firaxis has always said that new Civ games leave 1/3 of the previous version the same; modify 1/3 to additional features; and add 1/3 new features.

There is a lot that has not been shown yet, so wait until you see it all before making a final judgement.

Of course the gameplay is similar to Civilization 5, it's the same series?! I don't understand these people saying it's like a dlc, mod, etc and why they would release Civilization 6, well yeah they could just drop the Civilization series completely etc lol. They are a company which earns money through games so of course they work on new games x.x' The core elements will and are the same in every Civilization and they aren't going to be like Call of duty if you expect that. Oh I remember the criticizing about Civilization 5 back then, I guess some people reject any new things so they just want these things to disappear. (like releasing no Civilization games anymore since Civ 5, 4 etc is soo great)

Civ 5 felt like a completely different game from Civ 4 especially when it came to the overall design of the world. But after watching the Civ VI video, although Civ VI is styled differently than Civ V, the overall look actually reminds me of Civ V. Like comparing BE to Civ V.

What I also got from the video that became more apparent to me is that the new style seems more like the designers are attempting to merge strategic view with world view. I don't even know why they would need strategic view with such a simplified and clean art design. Even though I like the look of Civ V better, admittedly some things are hard to see on the map.

Civ 5 felt like a completely different game from Civ 4 especially when it came to the overall design of the world. But after watching the Civ VI video, although Civ VI is styled differently than Civ V, the overall look actually reminds me of Civ V. Like comparing BE to Civ V.

What I also got from the video that became more apparent to me is that the new style seems more like the designers are attempting to merge strategic view with world view. I don't even know why they would need strategic view with such a simplified and clean art design. Even though I like the look of Civ V better, admittedly some things are hard to see on the map.

Civ4 to Civ5 transition was most revolutionary in the series. And the most controversial as a result.

Even the things we already know about Civ6 make Civ5 to Civ6 transition bigger than earlier ones (Civ3 to Civ4, Civ2 to Civ3 and Civ1 to Civ2). The government and tech tree changes were the the main change between Civ3 and Civ 4 and those are already in. On top of this we have districts system, which is a revolution in building system, which didn't have major overhaul since Civ1.

While the changes in Civ VI are significant, I don't think they're nearly as controversial as those in Civ V. The changes mostly build upon the existing game rather than subtract from it; a great effort was made not to lose features from the previous expansions.

While the changes in Civ VI are significant, I don't think they're nearly as controversial as those in Civ V. The changes mostly build upon the existing game rather than subtract from it; a great effort was made not to lose features from the previous expansions.

Yes, I agree here. Nice point.

Pre-video I would've given it a 7. The screenshots weren't really that good, but when I saw the sample gameplay, I quickly gave it a 9. This is why I avoided giving too much of an opinion until I saw it in action.

Top Bottom