1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about graphics of the game? (poll)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Makavcio, May 28, 2016.

?

On a scale 1-10, I think graphics of Civ6 is...

Poll closed Oct 31, 2016.
  1. 1 - beyond redemption and I'm not buying the game because of it

8 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. 2

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. 3 - so ugly they must have done it on purpose

21 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. 4

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. 5 - as ugly as all 2K games recently, but thankfully, I don't play them for graphics

20 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. 6

32 vote(s)
    10.9%
  7. 7 - not going to the Louvre but I like it

83 vote(s)
    28.3%
  8. 8

64 vote(s)
    21.8%
  9. 9 - really fantastic and I'm positively surprised

51 vote(s)
    17.4%
  10. 10 - the new standard for quality of graphics in modern games

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

We're highjacking this thread, but that would have been too much even for me... :lol:

2. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

I'm down with it.

3. Gali

Gali Prince

I voted a 7. Most of the graphics seem pretty simple and cartoony. The whole thing feels like a board game. They convey a large amount of information though. The wonders on the other hand are a 9. Massive in scope and with far more detail.

Apparently the graphics went over well at the press event. More motion and liveliness maybe. They are more than livable already which is all i need.

4. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

I voted 6 as being in between ( I don't play for the graphics ) and ( I like it) , because it's more than I require.

5. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

It's all about context in a game like this.

The imagery is garish, but it seems very clear and functional.

6. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

So much criticism in the early days and yet somehow it turns out ~85% of people rate graphics between "okay" and "amazing". Wtf.

I'd give them 9/10 because overall I find them very nice, sharp and disctinctive (art style is cool too) but I take one point for UI design (some parts of it are in climatic "age of discovery" style while others are so bland they look like taken from Android F2P - unit commands, city build etc) and one more point for caricatural, stupid Teddy Roosevelt (realistic leaders of civ5 >>> previous atrocities :p )
    So 7/10 so far.

7. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

TBH the more I look at it (video) the more it grows on me. It is clear and pleasant on the eye. Would give a solid 8 now... because nothing ever deserves higher than solid 8 anyways. Kinda wondering what were they thinking releasing those initial 3 screenshots zoomed in without UI. Those screens are worth solid 2.

8. historix69

historix69 Emperor

I voted 8.

I do hope the devs know what they are doing.
    I hope the graphic style has a positive effect on performance to allow bigger maps and map scrolling without delays ...

9. primem0ver

primem0ver Emperor

I voted 5. While I like what they have done with adding some more "worldly" realism (such as the cliffs on the seaside hills), I do not like the style in the least. It is WAY too cartoonish. (ie. objects look too much like caricatures of real world objects). For example, the trees look like they belong on a Charlie Brown Christmas card. I am all about realism.

10. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I gave it an 8. It is still early, of course, but I quite like the style.

The unexplored areas look great. The cliffs and the waves crashing off of them look nice. A lot of nice little touches. I don't like the rivers so far but I am hopeful that they will improve. I like that they are making river deltas, though. There also seems to be some good variety between the Civs.

I do understand that some are put off by the graphics, especially since they are a big change from Civilization 5 but I think they are appropriate for the vision they have for Civ VI. Anyway, give it time and they may grow on you. :)

11. spfun

spfun King

I didn't mind the first screenshots, I found i kept coming back for another look to pass time. Grew from neutrality to liking them. The video didn't change to much for me. I gave an 8.

I guess i gave it more of a chance from past experience as I hated Civ 4's graphics(thought it was cartoony and borrowed to much from the Pirates game) But on release i found i didn't really care all that much. Didn't stop the game from been a good one...

12. Staler87

Staler87 Warlord

The screenshots were terrible. After seeing the parchment FOW (a really good aesthetic choice IMO) and the gameplay videos I was relived. I still only voted a five as I find civ V's graphics to be heads and tails above these ones but they are not so bad that they will impede how much I enjoy the game.

13. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

I think it's the best god damn thing that's ever happened and anyone who thinks differently is with the terrorists.

Moderator Action: Please don't call those who disagree with you in agreement with terrorists
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

14. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Corrected you,

<snip>

Moderator Action: Please do not purposely misquote other users. Misquote deleted.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

By the way I am amazed how much better do those graphics look in these gameplay videos that on announcement screenshots. Could Firaxis fail at the first impression more? :D

15. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Plus, not least, the colours seem 10 times less saturated in the video!

16. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

From what I see in the poll, people generally like it and there are no more negative opinions than with any other similar action ever.

No matter what is done, there are always some people who dislike it, and also some people who love it, even if it's the worst poo imaginable :lol:

In this case, I seem to be in rather small minority, so I guess such tacky art style is what I should expect in the future, not only form Civilization, and that's what people want. I guess I'll have to live with it.

Anyhow, the 80s were much worse :lol:

17. darko82

darko82 Emperor

To me, Civ V does not look realistic, either. This is just an exaggeration. What is so realistic about it? This is not a valid argument.

Civ VI, btw, looks a lot cleaner, which is nice.

They can still beef it up to make it look better on release.

18. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

7 - 'not going to the Louvre but I like it'.

Seeing it 'in motion', so to speak, has won me over. It looks much better than I feared.

I'm not quite sold on the papery fog of war - it seems to be quite well-liked here, and they do get top marks for creativity. But to me it just doesn't look right when areas on the verges change from papery map to vibrant full-colour as a unit moves. I can see myself getting used to it, though.

I won't go into the leader screens debate again, but I still hate the background of Teddy's screen. I'm OK with the man himself - slightly cartoonish but nevertheless well-made - but I need to see more leaders before I have a more general opinion on leader screens.

19. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCyL0X2Dg7k

I rated the graphics a 3 due to cartoonish. I'm probably biased on a purely aesthetic level though because most of my Tattoo's are black and grey. I absolutely hate the "New School" look. Battlefield 1 graphics look promising!

20. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

blackcatatonic,

I`m hoping we will see more leaders that make contact with their background. Like many civ 5 leaders. Alexander sitting on his horse of Ragnar on his viking ship. Teddy`s background is not doing much for me. Would have been nicer if he would sit behind a desk, maybe with a couple of his ministers for example. Like Brazil. But the video is just a very small sample of what is to come. He does look like he has good character so i would be pleased dealing with this civ.