[Vanilla] What do you think of Qui Shi Huang's Crouching Tigers?

Lee Duane Fitzsimmons

Full-time Cat Lover
I have used them several times now and find them to be quite effective.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Last edited:
I think they're one of the worst unique units in the game. It's basically a glorified slinger or a machine gun the later which I never use.

It costs the same as a crossbow, yet dies to melee all the same, and for a bit more you could build knights which would be much better up close anyways. The other thing is nothing upgrades into them so you have to manually build them and it's not that impressive. And not too far beyond machinery, you're getting muskets and bombards.

If you don't have iron though, you can use it as area of denial near your cities, particularly hilly terrain. And if the enemy masses pikemen. Yea that happens.

Yeah, they appear right when the other AI civs are getting muskets. That is a HUGE pain. If they came a little earlier, they would be a lot more attractive.

Imagine a world with no iron throughout the map, on such case the tiger will be a very useful unit.

Otherwise just go for knights.

BTW tiger is a very good defensive unit, which gives cities 50 bombard power, enhanced to 60 if taking the bastions policy card. 60 power bombard means you have to sacrifice many knights to capture Shihuang, since one bombard will deal ~50 damage to a single knight, and 2 bombards (city+encampment)can kill it.

Last edited:
Building just 1 is worth it as it increases the ranged damage of your cities... unless you are on the rampage in which case your city range does not get used much.
In heavy terrain they are just fine but its the whole issue with any UU having to be built at full price that stops me building more than 1.

Top Bottom